PDA

View Full Version : Sabres Sign Vanek!!!

Michael82
09-03-2004, 02:41 PM
Buffalo Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier announced today the team has agreed to terms with 2003 first round draft choice Thomas Vanek on a three year entry-level contract. Vanek was the fifth overall selection by Buffalo in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

“Thomas is a special talent and he is ready to move forward with his career and compete at the NHL level,” said Buffalo Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier. “He is a natural goal scorer and has been one of the best college players the last two seasons at Minnesota. We believe Thomas will be an exciting player for our fans and organization to watch in the upcoming seasons.”

Vanek, 20 years old (6-2, 207 lbs.), finished his sophmore season at the University of Minnesota in 2003-04 after leading the Golden Gophers in scoring in each of his first two Division I seasons. In 2002-03, he recorded 31 goals, 31 assists for 62 points and was named team MVP. That season culminated in the University of Minnesota’s national championship, won at the HSBC Arena in Buffalo, NY. Vanek was named MVP of the Frozen Four following the tournament, finishing with five goals and three assists in four games, including two game-winners. The first game-winner came in OT to send the Golden Gophers past Michigan to the Frozen Four final and then recorded the championship-winning goal over the University of New Hampshire.

http://www.sabres.com/pressbox/index.php?nID=306&bA=0

Patrick76777
09-03-2004, 02:42 PM
Buffalo Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier announced today the team has agreed to terms with 2003 first round draft choice Thomas Vanek on a three year entry-level contract. Vanek was the fifth overall selection by Buffalo in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

“Thomas is a special talent and he is ready to move forward with his career and compete at the NHL level,” said Buffalo Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier. “He is a natural goal scorer and has been one of the best college players the last two seasons at Minnesota. We believe Thomas will be an exciting player for our fans and organization to watch in the upcoming seasons.”

Vanek, 20 years old (6-2, 207 lbs.), finished his sophmore season at the University of Minnesota in 2003-04 after leading the Golden Gophers in scoring in each of his first two Division I seasons. In 2002-03, he recorded 31 goals, 31 assists for 62 points and was named team MVP. That season culminated in the University of Minnesota’s national championship, won at the HSBC Arena in Buffalo, NY. Vanek was named MVP of the Frozen Four following the tournament, finishing with five goals and three assists in four games, including two game-winners. The first game-winner came in OT to send the Golden Gophers past Michigan to the Frozen Four final and then recorded the championship-winning goal over the University of New Hampshire.

Great news! I really hope they play this year.

Michael82
09-03-2004, 02:43 PM
The Buffalo Sabres have agreed to terms with 2003 first round draft choice Thomas Vanek on a three year entry-level contract. Vanek, a left wing, was the fifth overall selection by Buffalo in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

"Thomas is a special talent and he is ready to move forward with his career and compete at the NHL level," said Sabres general manager Darcy Regier. "He is a natural goal scorer and has been one of the best college players the last two seasons at Minnesota. We believe Thomas will be an exciting player for our fans and organization to watch in the upcoming seasons."

Vanek, 20, led the Golden Gophers in scoring in each of his two Division I seasons. In 2002-03, he recorded 31 goals, 31 assists for 62 points and was named team MVP. That season culminated in the Minnesota's national championship. Vanek was named MVP of the Frozen Four following the tournament, finishing with five goals and three assists in four games, including two game- winners.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/hockeynews.asp?articleID=108867

Ebenezer
09-03-2004, 02:44 PM
hey, zonebuck whore...two threads about the same thing...2 minutes apart...come on!

Michael82
09-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Great news! I really hope they play this year.
Me too, but I'm not sure if they will. I doubt it. :(

But, i'm very glad to see that Vanek will be in Buffalo, or maybe Rochester this season. :up:

Michael82
09-03-2004, 02:45 PM
hey, zonebuck whore...two threads about the same thing...2 minutes apart...come on!
I'll merge them. :D

pyrrhonist
09-03-2004, 04:29 PM
It sucks, he would be signed in year the season is in question. I surely hope that the season takes place now.

SkateZilla
09-03-2004, 05:03 PM
Maybe our Offense WONT SUCK....

Lindy Ruff Better not tell him to play defense first..

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-03-2004, 05:11 PM
He was just on GR 55. He said that he will be in on Tuesday to make it official.

pcnorth22
09-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Me too, but I'm not sure if they will. I doubt it. :(

But, i'm very glad to see that Vanek will be in Buffalo, or maybe Rochester this season. :up:

Do you think he'll spend time in Rochester? I wonder..we haven't had a player of this caliber here in a long time...no rookie that was touted so highly probably since Perreault...maybe Mogilny

Michael82
09-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Do you think he'll spend time in Rochester? I wonder..we haven't had a player of this caliber here in a long time...no rookie that was touted so highly probably since Perreault...maybe Mogilny
He'll spend time in Rochester because the NHL season will NOT begin when it is supposed to. I believe they will be locked out for a few months, and players like Vanek will play for the minor league teams.

pcnorth22
09-03-2004, 05:51 PM
He'll spend time in Rochester because the NHL season will NOT begin when it is supposed to. I believe they will be locked out for a few months, and players like Vanek will play for the minor league teams.

Oh yeah...I forgot that those with the 2 ways can play in the minors...good point.. gracias

The Spaz
09-03-2004, 05:58 PM
We should have quite a team in Rochester this year.

The Spaz
09-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Highlights of Thomas Vanek’s career:
-- The highest selection (5th overall) for an Austrian to be drafted. Others were: Reinhard Divis - St. Louis Blues - 261st overall in 2000 and Christoph Brandner - Minnesota Wild - 237th overall in 2002.
-- Named the Twin Cities Best College Athlete for 2004
-- Won 2003 NCAA National Championship and was named MVP of the Frozen Four
-- Named Minnesota’s team MVP for 2003 becoming first freshman to receive honor
-- Scored most points by a Golden Gopher freshman in 2003 since Aaron Broten had 72 in 1979-80
-- First freshman to lead the team in scoring since Mike Antonovich in 1969-70
-- 31 goals in freshman season led the nation in goal scoring
-- 2003 WCHA Rookie of the Year and third Golden Gopher to win the award (Darby Hendrickson and Mike Crowley)

Michael82
09-03-2004, 07:20 PM
We should have quite a team in Rochester this year.
Yeah we should. I'll probably catch my first Amerks game in a while this year. :up:

Myers57
09-04-2004, 10:47 AM
Great News!

No hockey make darryl go crazy...

Darryl may go to some Amerks games...

elltrain22
09-04-2004, 11:58 AM
:clap: :clap:

elltrain22
09-04-2004, 11:58 AM
is he going to play this year, if there is a this year.

Myers57
09-04-2004, 02:02 PM
I doubt he will even play, I think he will be like Ryan Miller and spend a couple fo years in Rochester...

The Spaz
09-04-2004, 04:33 PM
I doubt he will even play, I think he will be like Ryan Miller and spend a couple fo years in Rochester...

Nothing wrong with that. I would rather have him be there if he has to instead of rush him into something he may not be ready for. I think he is closer than people think though he did quite well playing with Austria against men.

SkateZilla
09-05-2004, 01:32 AM
I Personally Think He's ready for the NHL..

Just Not the Buffalo brainwash....

AS For a Season... :dance:

ESPn Reported The Sides are closer to A Nuclear Winter than an Agreement :yap:

Armpalm Ali Musch
09-05-2004, 10:06 AM
YES!! A marquee player that could become a top-teir player in the NHL. I can't wait to see him in a Sabres jersey next season because he will get playing time his rookie year garunteed!

Myers57
09-05-2004, 10:26 AM
Hey Armpalm, haven't seen you around before, welcome to the Sabres boards!

qcsabresfan84
09-08-2004, 07:42 AM
I've got a feeling that Vanek will be to us what Gaborik was to the wild. A young upstart that will really surprise the league and maybe lead the team in points if he's put with the right people. but even if there is a season i dont think he will have that kind of year until 05-06. its horrible that we already have to look ahead to the next season beforre this one is even scheduled to start. :cynic:

Myers57
09-08-2004, 10:08 AM
I would personally rather miss half of this season and get the CBA straight so the NHL is a better more competitive league rather than finding the quick solution and still having problems afterwards that may lead to the leagues downfall...

The Spaz
09-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Check out some video of Vanek here.

http://www.gopherpucklive.com/