PDA

View Full Version : Bills must stop penalties

The_Philster
09-04-2004, 04:40 AM
Mike Mularkey didn't have a play-by-play sheet or a calculator handy Thursday night in the moments following the Bills' sloppy 20-17 loss to the Detroit Lions, but he didn't need them.

"The yardage lost from penalties and special teams has got to be phenomenal," Mularkey said after Buffalo concluded a 1-3 preseason at Ford Field.

After watching the film and making notes, Mularkey has probably done the math and he knows that the unspecial special teams committed seven penalties and the Bills lost 169 yards in field position. Two other kicking game penalties were offset by Detroit fouls....more (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040904/SPORTS03/409040323/1007/SPORTS)

LifetimeBillsFan
09-04-2004, 04:58 AM
"It's got to stop," Mularkey said. "We've got to rectify it. They know. If you're at this level, you don't need to be reminded that you can't jump offside. I'm not here to remind them, I'm here to teach them that they can't do that. And let's figure out why they keep doing a penalty and let's fix that. We'll get it done."

Call me "Old School", but, as my grandfather used to tell my father and my father used to say to me, "There are three ways to learn: through your eyes, through your ears, or through the seat of your pants"---and, where NFL players are concerned, the seat of their pants is where their wallets are. And, if that doesn't work, maybe the Lombardi-Parcells approach--a ticket out of town--will. Let's hope that they will learn to stop taking penalties through their eyes and ears this week!

chernobylwraiths
09-04-2004, 09:03 AM
I didn't watch a large portion of the game, but I saw two plays in particular that were wiped out by penalty and were huge. One was the long punt return by Williams and the other was the offsides on the onside kick. I mean damn, if you know you are gonna onside kick it, wouldn't the whole point of it to REMAIN ONSIDES?!

I'm hoping that April didn't have his duties limited in St. Louis because he isn't a good coach.

Jayhawk
09-04-2004, 01:12 PM
might have veen