More Penalties: Result of starters playing Special Teams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G. Host
    Banned
    • Jul 2002

More Penalties: Result of starters playing Special Teams?

I noticed that a number of the penalties are occuring when starters are in - i.e. Late in the first quarter, Ken Simonton's 30-yard kickoff return to the 32 was ruined by an illegal block penalty on Aaron Schobel, resulting in a drive start 20 yards farther back at the 12.

The natural inclination is that penalities should go down when starters are in but because those starters have other things on their mind and do not get as many reps on special teams, is it possible that the reason for penalties is too many starters playing special teams?
  • LifetimeBillsFan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Aug 2004

That doesn't account for the fact that three of the worst penalties in the last game--the ones that cost the Bills the most cumulative yards, were committed by Sam Aiken and the one that negated the on-sides kick recovery was committed by Jabari Greer. Neither one of them are starters.

Having said that, I don't think you are entirely wrong, however. Personally, I think that inexperience playing special teams is more of a factor: A lot of the Bills' starters haven't played much on STs for a long time, if at all, and those who have may not have played the positions that they are being asked to play on STs now. Aiken was hurt for much of last season and I don't think he played much on STs before or after his injury. Greer is a rookie who was a starter in college and may only have done some kick/punt returning on STs there.

Some of the stupid personal fouls may have been a result of the team trying to make a statement that they are going to have tough, physical presence on the field (something the Tenn. players commented on), coupled with the fact that there's been a lot of competition in camp for roster spots. Guys who felt that their jobs were in danger (especially with some starters playing STs) may have felt that could get the coaches' attention and grab a roster spot by playing extra hard whenever they were on the field and, in the process, over-did it at times with the result being a PF penalty.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

Working...
    X