PDA

View Full Version : Adding to Miami's woes

G. Host
09-04-2004, 07:00 AM
Nine players did not make the trip with the Dolphins. Some were excused for medical reasons. At least one, wide receiver Chris Chambers, did not make the trip because he did not know about the flight being rescheduled for Friday.

Wannstedt refused to identify the players who missed the trip without permission.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=240903018

In this day and age how can the players "not know" the flight was rescheduled?
Serious management issue problems in Miami!

muestafa1
09-04-2004, 08:24 AM
There were reports earlier in the week that the Miami players did not want to go get on plane and fly to a game while their families were left behind to deal with Hurricane Frances. I'm guessing the flight time change was an out given by the Dolphins Organization so that the players could stay behind and help evac their families without facing reprocussions from the NFL for not playing.

G. Host
09-04-2004, 08:40 AM
The thing is who will make final roster will be affected by who "forgot" to get on flight. I doubt any of the bubble players missed it but whenever you change the mixup you get different results. Different bubbles get popped by Fins this weekend.

Samphin1
09-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Oh please, don't pull a muscle while you guys reach that far to find problems with Miami. Miami has enough problems right now, none of which does this fall under. This is a non issue. The only players that missed the flights were starters. The starting defense didn't even paly anyway, so it wasn't like it was a do or die situation. Chambers just used it as an excuse and I really think you should concentrate on your own team's real troubles without trying to think of more for Miami. :crazy:

cordog
09-04-2004, 02:16 PM
Cant say that I blame the players for not making the trip. I heard on Rome the players wanted the NFL to cancel the game, which they should have, but god forbid the NFL cant lose that precious revenue while players' families are left behind to deal with a hurricane.

Marino13Phins
09-04-2004, 02:20 PM
Exactly, family is much more important. I don't blame any of the guys that didn't go.

G. Host
09-04-2004, 02:28 PM
I bet that if they had to lose a paycheck their opinion would be different. Since players no not get paid (in their opinion) for preseason games they see no sense playing at all anyways. If veterans had their choice only people trying out for team would appear and they would all get 1/4 more pay for those games.

Lots of people in REAL jobs need to work even though their are problems at home.

cordog
09-04-2004, 02:38 PM
I bet that if they had to lose a paycheck their opinion would be different. Since players no not get paid (in their opinion) for preseason games they see no sense playing at all anyways. If veterans had their choice only people trying out for team would appear and they would all get 1/4 more pay for those games.

Lots of people in REAL jobs need to work even though their are problems at home.

I dont see too many people in Florida working right now or yesterday. Whether its a "real" job or not family always takes priority. Its not right for the NFL to play a game while players are wondering if they will have a house to come home to.

G. Host
09-04-2004, 02:54 PM
The difference is those people are not getting paid. We had a hurricane in VA area and government closed down and VA declared emergency (no driving) but my work made me go home after already reporting to work and we needed to take vacation time or make up time within short period.

Those who were in New Orleans did not get refunds for tickets or discounts because name players did play. When NFL moved game of Bills vs Washington last year those who paid for tickets and such did not get refunds even if they had to leave to catch flights.

Players need to accept they are in the real world and have to play sometimes thru bad situations.