PDA

View Full Version : So who plays in 3-4 alignment?

G. Host
09-04-2004, 05:00 PM
Last year Gray would put Edwards (before he was injured) as NT in 3-4 and bring on another LB, usually Polk, and take out Sam and Pat on 3 and long. Polk was a better LB than people gave him credit for and I am wondering what the Bills will do in 3-4 situations. IF they keep Gildon use him while pulling out DT? Go with 3 CBs or safeties? We really did not see much in preseason games.

Maybe our "eye" Mike saw something to indicate their direction.

I think our LB depth can be a weakness this year; our front 3 LBs were relatively healthy.

The_Philster
09-04-2004, 05:14 PM
I think you're right about Polk...he was definitely underrated and I think our 3-4 alignment may suffer some, at least at first.
My guess on the best personnel alignment
Kelsey-Williams-Schobel
Posey-Fletcher-Stevensen-Spikes

The Spaz
09-04-2004, 05:21 PM
I think the 4th LB would be Wire if Milloy is healthy if not I think it would be Stamer.

G. Host
09-04-2004, 05:29 PM
I do not think I have ever seen Wire playing in LB position for Bills. :question:

The Spaz
09-04-2004, 05:30 PM
I do not think I have ever seen Wire playing in LB position for Bills. :question:

I was using him in special packages.:snicker: Seriously I think it could work once in a while.

G. Host
09-04-2004, 05:36 PM
How would that be different than bringing an extra safety in a 3-3-2-3 alignment?

The Spaz
09-04-2004, 05:40 PM
How would that be different than bringing an extra safety in a 3-3-2-3 alignment?

It's not that's why I was saying in different alignments.

ShadowHawk7
09-04-2004, 05:45 PM
If one of my BIG 3 LB's gets hurt in ESPN 2005, I always put Wire in there, and he does a solid job. Wouldn't Gildon be the far right or left side LB in that 3-4 scheme?

G. Host
09-04-2004, 05:53 PM
I figured they might go with Gidson - Posey - Fletcher - Spikes moving Posey inside If Gidson had anything left.

ShadowHawk7
09-04-2004, 09:16 PM
I figured they might go with Gidson - Posey - Fletcher - Spikes moving Posey inside If Gidson had anything left.

Or
Gildon - Spikes - Fletcher - Posey

Schobel-Adams-Kelsay

:bringit: That would be down right scaring on 3rd and long for any O, IMO. :bringit:

NapalmDeath
09-04-2004, 10:53 PM
Or

Schobel-Adams-Kelsay

:bringit: That would be down right scaring on 3rd and long for any O, IMO. :bringit:

That is the one right there. Or you could swap Adams with Big Pat

LifetimeBillsFan
09-05-2004, 05:55 AM
Or

Schobel-Adams-Kelsay

If I'm not mistaken, Spikes played some in the middle in Cincy. And, Gildon has done most of his damage from the OLB position (although they might swap inside-outside to give teams different looks--similar to a line stunt or zone blitz). So, I think you hit the nail right on the head,:hail: especially early in the season (assuming that they keep Gildon, of course, which they probably will).

With Williams able to spell Big Sam and the ability of the DEs and LBs to run zone blitzes, the only real weak spot IMHO would be if they try to have Fletcher cover a fast RB down the middle or deep without safety help--Fletcher has gotten beat more than once for big gains and TDs when they've had him do that. Other than that, your alignment offers a tremendous amount of ability and flexibility that will make things difficult for opposing offenses.:up:

SABURZFAN
09-05-2004, 06:10 AM
i like the 3-4 defense because the LBs are better athletes.it makes for a quicker defense too.

SABURZFAN
09-05-2004, 06:12 AM
Or

Schobel-Adams-Kelsay

that and you bring in PW,in place of adams, to continue pounding on the Center.

SABURZFAN
09-05-2004, 06:13 AM

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!let's do it.make those NFL Centers quiver. :biggrin:

G. Host
09-05-2004, 09:05 AM
I am wondering if they might line up this way

... DE DT DE
,,,,,,,LB...LB ........
.......LB...LB ........

I forget what they called it when I played (it has been more than 25 years) but basicly the LBs don't shift until after snap so offense can not get a read.

ShadowHawk7
09-05-2004, 01:28 PM
If we did use the scheme I mentioned, I think it'd only be only passing downs, therefore Big Sam would prolly be in it more, because of his great ability to collapse the pocket.

ShadowHawk7
09-05-2004, 01:40 PM
So, I think you hit the nail right on the head,:hail: especially early in the season (assuming that they keep Gildon, of course, which they probably will).

With Williams able to spell Big Sam and the ability of the DEs and LBs to run zone blitzes, the only real weak spot IMHO would be if they try to have Fletcher cover a fast RB down the middle or deep without safety help--Fletcher has gotten beat more than once for big gains and TDs when they've had him do that. Other than that, your alignment offers a tremendous amount of ability and flexibility that will make things difficult for opposing offenses.:up:
:; :up: :gobills:
Indeed, that is Fletcher's biggest flaw..

I am wondering if they might line up this way
... DE DT DE
,,,,,,,LB...LB ........
.......LB...LB ........

That would be interesting G.. Would the first set of LBs focus on pass rush/run coverage? (then I'd put Gildon/Fletcher up there) Or are they focused more on covering backs and tight ends? (Then I'd put Posey Spikes up there.

Either way: :boom:

G. Host
09-05-2004, 02:17 PM
:; :up: :gobills:
Indeed, that is Fletcher's biggest flaw..

That would be interesting G.. Would the first set of LBs focus on pass rush/run coverage? (then I'd put Gildon/Fletcher up there) Or are they focused more on covering backs and tight ends? (Then I'd put Posey Spikes up there.

Either way: :boom:

Well when we played (I practiced as SS on short yard plays until I was medically unable to play) the faster LBs were in the back figuring depending on what offense did, the back might need to go further across defense. The bigger LBs were closer to line.

The_Philster
09-05-2004, 03:03 PM
If we did use the scheme I mentioned, I think it'd only be only passing downs, therefore Big Sam would prolly be in it more, because of his great ability to collapse the pocket.
Ted washington had great ability to collapse the pocket as well and he was brought out on passing downs. Pat Williams is more versatile, can collapse the pocket (though not as well as Adams) and has enough quickness to break through the line.

G. Host
09-05-2004, 09:40 PM
Gidson was cut so is #4 LB in 3-4 alignment now?

ShadowHawk7
09-05-2004, 11:36 PM
This means the Bills prolly won't use too much of that formation any more, but if they do, I could see Stamer taking his spot. When Milloy gets back, Wire may be intriguing to put there..

LifetimeBillsFan
09-06-2004, 04:33 AM
This means the Bills prolly won't use too much of that formation any more, but if they do, I could see Stamer taking his spot. When Milloy gets back, Wire may be intriguing to put there..I agree that using Wire that way could be VERY intriguing! :urock: :hi5:

Something like this, perhaps?:

Schobel-----Edwards------Kelsay

Wire------Fletcher------Spikes-------Posey

Since Kelsay is pretty quick and a weaker pass rusher than Schobel, you'd be more likely to run zone blitzes on his side, where Posey would then be rushing the passer and Spikes could help Kelsay in coverage.

I'd put Wire next to Fletcher on the other side, where he could help Fletcher (possibly sliding him over a bit to take the deep-middle routes away from the RBs out of the backfield) in coverage and take advantage of Schobel looping his rush to the outside by using his speed to shoot up the middle on blitzes, without leaving him vulnerable to getting caught up in traffic in the middle, especially on draw plays.

Fletcher and Spikes could flip-flop in the middle on certain blitz coverage packages or in response to the offensive alignment occasionally as well to get maximum use out of their abilities and give the offense different looks.

Something along these lines, using Wire, IMHO would offer a lot of flexibilty in obvious passing situations. :gobills:

SABURZFAN
09-06-2004, 05:31 AM
I agree that using Wire that way could be VERY intriguing! :urock: :hi5:

Something like this, perhaps?:

Schobel-----Edwards------Kelsay

Wire------Fletcher------Spikes-------Posey

edwards would likely become expendable with PW,adams,and anderson.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-06-2004, 07:37 AM
edwards would likely become expendable with PW,adams,and anderson.
Possibly, but as G. Host pointed out at the top of this thread:
Last year Gray would put Edwards (before he was injured) as NT in 3-4
That may be because they don't want to tire out Adams and PW on obvious passing downs so that they are fresher against the run and at the end of games--when everything may be on the line and you want to use your best players and have them be effective. Personally, I think that, if he continues to improve and show the coaches that he is ready for them to ask him to do more, Anderson would move ahead of Edwards because he supposedly does have some pass rushing ability.

G. Host
09-06-2004, 08:55 AM
I like the idea of Anderson in a 3-4 alignment although Edwards made squad. From what I have heard about Anderson in college he was the reason his teammate dominated - he never gave up and always gave 100%.

I am unsure about Wire on outside because he could be demolished by a lineman. Wire is pretty tough since he used to be a RB but when the freight train hits the humvee, the humvee gets squished no matter how tough it is.