PDA

View Full Version : Season's opening month is packed with must-see games

G. Host
09-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Week 4

10. New England at Buffalo: There was something so perfect about the symmetry of last year's Patriots-Bills season series that we hate to see it pass into history. New England loses 31-0 at Buffalo in Week 1, just days after safety Lawyer Milloy changes sides in the rivalry, then winds up its boffo 14-2 regular season by beating the sad-sack Bills 31-0 at home in Week 17. They were bookend games that were four months and a world apart.

I'm not expecting their first meeting this season to be quite so eventful, but to me the Bills are the only AFC East team that could possibly make the Patriots work for their division title. Buffalo's defense is legit, and the Bills offense at least has weapons who can tax New England's give-ground-but-not-points style of play. Oh, and anyone still care to debate Bill Belichick's Tom Brady over Drew Bledsoe decision? Didn't think so.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/don_banks/09/03/10.games/index.html

Give ground not points dtyle of play? I think he meant "hold but not get caught" type of game. Belichick will find some new rule to exploit this year.

ScottLawrence
09-04-2004, 08:28 PM
Week 4

10. New England at Buffalo: There was something so perfect about the symmetry of last year's Patriots-Bills season series that we hate to see it pass into history. New England loses 31-0 at Buffalo in Week 1, just days after safety Lawyer Milloy changes sides in the rivalry, then winds up its boffo 14-2 regular season by beating the sad-sack Bills 31-0 at home in Week 17. They were bookend games that were four months and a world apart.

I'm not expecting their first meeting this season to be quite so eventful, but to me the Bills are the only AFC East team that could possibly make the Patriots work for their division title. Buffalo's defense is legit, and the Bills offense at least has weapons who can tax New England's give-ground-but-not-points style of play. Oh, and anyone still care to debate Bill Belichick's Tom Brady over Drew Bledsoe decision? Didn't think so.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/don_banks/09/03/10.games/index.html

Give ground not points dtyle of play? I think he meant "hold but not get caught" type of game. Belichick will find some new rule to exploit this year.

I disagree with him on that.

Jets will definitly compete with Patriots for division crown... Look at there opening schedule, they will win at least 4 games and it will give them a lot of confidence for the rest of the way, IMO.

Halbert
09-04-2004, 08:32 PM
Is it just me or did the NFL crack down on defensive holding in response to the muggings being conducted by the Pats? If so, they could be hampered by enforcement of the new rules.

I still stand by my prediction that the Pats don't make the playoffs.