PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans releases seven-year center Fontenot

Michael82
09-05-2004, 02:21 PM
The day of reckoning finally came for Jerry Fontenot on Saturday. For the first time in his 15-year NFL career, the veteran center was told he was being released.

While the decision didn't come as a complete surprise, he said, it didn't make the reality any easier to stomach when Coach Jim Haslett broke the news to him Saturday morning.

"It's tough," Fontenot said. "I know they anguished over these decisions. I could see it on Jim's face when I talked to him. Both he and (offensive line coach) Jack Henry felt very weary and tired. It was a tough day for everybody."...............

At 37, Fontenot is confident he can still play and contribute at the NFL level. He said a handful of teams have expressed interest to his agent, Tony Agnone. At this stage of his career, playing for a playoff contender is the top priority.

"I still bring a desire to play and to compete," Fontenot said. "Nothing can take that away. I'm going to pursue my dream, and my dream is to win a Super Bowl." ...........

"I'm going to explore all of my options," Fontenot said. "My first option is to play. But obviously, with the business, age becomes an issue. I'm sure there are teams that value my experience. We're shopping."

Fontenot has started all 80 games the past five seasons and was selected as a Pro Bowl alternate last season. Since signing with New Orleans as an unrestricted free agent in 1997, he started all 100 games that he appeared in with the Saints.

http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1094371134230900.xml

The Spaz
09-05-2004, 02:23 PM
If the Raiders release Middleton we should sign both of these guys.

G. Host
09-05-2004, 02:25 PM
Not worth signing except for a game-to-game player if Trey gets hurt.