PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else surprised...

Bill Brasky
09-05-2004, 08:40 PM
They kept Williams and Burns over Simonton?

BillyT92679
09-05-2004, 08:41 PM
They kept Williams and Burns over Simonton?
Actually, no.
Burns is supposed to be the "fullback" this year for the Bills, though I doubt anyone will see a fullback lined up too often.
Williams outplayed Simonton, though Ken had a good preseason.

BillyT92679
09-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Burns and Shelton will both tackle a fullback role.

justasportsfan
09-05-2004, 08:42 PM
I liked Rashaud over Simonton. Burns can run and cach especially since we let Morris go.

HenryRules
09-05-2004, 08:43 PM
Same **** different pile. Our RB roster is very polarized - tons of talent at the top and then nothing at the bottom. Nothing wrong with that, but this move is going to have no impact either way on the way the success off this season or those in the future.

ShadowHawk7
09-05-2004, 11:38 PM
I liked Rashaud over Simonton. Burns can run and cach especially since we let Morris go.
Can he really? Is Ken still PS eligible?

Mr. Miyagi
09-06-2004, 04:11 AM
Can he really? Is Ken still PS eligible?
Ken Simonton is a PS dweller. Unless people die, I can't see him ever starting for any NFL team.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-06-2004, 05:35 AM
Same **** different pile. Our RB roster is very polarized - tons of talent at the top and then nothing at the bottom. Nothing wrong with that, but this move is going to have no impact either way on the way the success off this season or those in the future.
I respectfully disagree with you on this: Williams offers flexibility and options to the coaches, especially in the return game that could play a significant role as the season wears on.

Unlike Simonton or Burns, Shaud Williams got a fair amount of experience returning kicks and punts in college (at Texas Tech and, to a lesser extent, Alabama) and was a dangerous return man on a couple of lousy teams because of his speed, quickness and elusiveness---his problem has alway been his size, because he is tiny, even by major college standards. If the Bills decide not to use Clements to return punts or Reed to return kicks, Williams offers them a quality alternative off of the bench--much moreso than Simonton or Burns. IMHO, only McGee (as nickle back he's more valuable than your 3rd tailback) offers the same amount of ability as a return man (maybe a slight bit more, I'll grant) off of the bench.

Additionally, Williams is a decent pass receiver out of the backfield and, with his quickness and elusiveness, has the potential to be a dangerous 3rd down back similar to Dave Meggett who played with the Giants awhile back. If either Henry or McGahee gets hurt--something that we all hope does not happen, but their history shows that it could, Williams would step into that role.

While Henry is a warrior who will do anything to get back on the field as soon as he possibly can, he isn't a big guy and he takes a pounding in a lot of games, so it is not inconceivable that he might get banged up over the course of the season. We all know McGahee's story and what the risks would be if he were forced to take over for Henry for a couple of games, so I don't think they need to be pointed out here. But, even if McGahee were to stay completely healthy and play on third downs, in that situation, Willis would still need to have someone spell him occasionally off of the bench. Williams offers a lot more off of the bench than Burns or Simonton could and, even if it were only for a game or two, that could have a huge impact on the Bills' season. Do you remember the game that Burns had to start at RB early last season?

Finally, if, as almost everyone expects, the Bills trade either Henry or McGahee at the end of this season, they are going to need a capable back-up for whoever remains to be the starter next season. Williams has the potential to fill that role with the experience he will gain this season. If he shows that he has what it takes to do that, it means that the Bills may not have to spend a first day draft pick on a back-up running back, but can use those picks to fill other needs that we already know that they have (O-line, O-line, O-line...). And, that will have a big impact on the team and its ability to win in the future.

So, I'm sorry, but IMHO it does matter that Williams was able to win the # 3 RB job this season. The biggest questions about him in college--and I'm sure even more coming into the pros--were about his size and his ability to deal with getting hit by guys who are so much bigger than he is, rather than about his ability. So far, he has shown that he can. He still needs to work on his game and improve in a number or areas, including ball security, but so did Travis Henry and a lot of other RBs who have come into the NFL. Still, IMHO Williams has the ability and offers the team a level of flexibility that could very well have an impact on the team this season and next.

SABURZFAN
09-06-2004, 05:38 AM
simonton is another ham-and-egger who was popular with the fans.

Jan Reimers
09-06-2004, 06:09 AM
Williams outplayed Simonton at RB, and is a better return man as well. No surprise there.

I think Burns got the number 2 fullback job over Lawton strictly on experience. Lawton is bigger and stronger with much more upside. That one disappointed me, but I think Lawton will be PSed and will be our starting FB in the not too distant future.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Williams outplayed Simonton at RB, and is a better return man as well. No surprise there.

I think Burns got the number 2 fullback job over Lawton strictly on experience. Lawton is bigger and stronger with much more upside. That one disappointed me, but I think Lawton will be PSed and will be our starting FB in the not too distant future.
I totally agree with you.:hi5: I thought Burns should have been goner. I like Lawton a lot. The one thing he can do that Shelton can't is catch the ball. I expect him to be on the D-squad and just hope no other team picks him up. I would not be surprised to see him on the active roster this season if the Bills can re-sign him. I don't know if he will become the starter that quickly, but I would expect him to see a fair amount of playing time by next season.

Jan Reimers
09-06-2004, 07:51 AM
I totally agree with you.:hi5: I thought Burns should have been goner. I like Lawton a lot. The one thing he can do that Shelton can't is catch the ball. I expect him to be on the D-squad and just hope no other team picks him up. I would not be surprised to see him on the active roster this season if the Bills can re-sign him. I don't know if he will become the starter that quickly, but I would expect him to see a fair amount of playing time by next season.
I'm with you. If Burns doesn't get healthy in a hurry - he's been injured almost the whole preseason - I think we will see Lawton on the active roster soon.

G. Host
09-06-2004, 09:03 AM
What happens if they can come up with an injury settlement with a player?
I think they are waiting for Burns to get healthy and then release him.

TigerJ
09-06-2004, 09:55 AM
I'm puzzled that the Bills value Burns so highly. The past couple years he's played RB, not FB, so he hasn't been asked to block that much. He's 5'9" and 215 lbs, the same as Travis Henry and way lighter than McGahee. His career yards per carry is abysmal and I can't believe his pass receiving skills are so superior that it would make that much of a difference. He has no speed or explosiveness as a runner. It's not a big deal because a third string RB/second string FB isn't going to be the reason the Bills win or lose games. It just puzzles me.