PDA

View Full Version : Constantin Ritzmann, the next Mark Pike?

G. Host
09-05-2004, 08:49 PM
The Bills cut two older veterns who each were very good at their position early in their careers and keep a player who has played football for 5 years total.

This player was supposedly VERY good at special teams in college and special teams captain as well. Very few special teams playes make it to the NFL and I am taking this as a sign that they selected him for his special teams NOT Defensive End skills.

HenryRules
09-05-2004, 08:51 PM
The Bills cut two older veterns who each were very good at their position early in their careers and keep a player who has played football for 5 years total.

This player was supposedly VERY good at special teams in college and special teams captain as well. Very few special teams playes make it to the NFL and I am taking this as a sign that they selected him for his special teams NOT Defensive End skills.

With only 4 DE's on the roster, I think he has to be there for his DE skills as well.

If we kept, 5, I'd say that maybe we kept him for his ST play, but he's more than likely going to be on the field as DE each game, so I think he must have shown something to the coaches in that area.

G. Host
09-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Nope. Bannan will play DE. The BuffaloBills.com site posted an article saying how he is known for versatility and strength. I would add his non-stop motor to that and he will make a good DE/DT tween player. I saw number of posts on multiple boards saying he would be cut and I thought how wrong they were.

Bannan, known for his versatility and strength, has seen action in 29 games. Playing in the team's final 14 games last year, Bannan had a season-high three tackles twice (Miami, Sept. 21 and Houston, Nov. 16).

"I thought I had a pretty good camp," Bannan said. "I went through some adversity, I broke my hand early in camp, but I thought I came out and did what I had to do. I know I can look at myself in the mirror when it's all over. I busted my butt everyday.

"The competition is stiff but that's what it is in the NFL. I thought I did pretty well."

BillyT92679
09-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Mark Pike, in his own way, was every bit as important to the great Bills special teams of the Super Bowl years as was Steve Tasker, in my opinion.
I think he made ever single tackle on every single kickoff return that I ever watched during that year.

G. Host
09-05-2004, 09:13 PM
Mark did not get as much attention but the league special teams coaches knew he was . Pike used to be the wedge blocker and I intended the comparision to Mark Pike as a compliment to the rookie.

Armpalm Ali Musch
09-05-2004, 09:17 PM
I think Ritzmann actually has a chance of becoming a good player. He was the captain of the defensive unit I thought in college. This guy has serious dedication I think coming back after a serious knee injury to play again. He is the top prospect from all of Germany. That has to be worth something and he is young too. I think you can't go wrong.

G. Host
09-05-2004, 09:20 PM
He was captain of Special Teams which reminded me of Pike. 14 tackles in 2000.

BambinoSux
09-05-2004, 09:30 PM
Somewhat off topic, but how about three Volunteers making it without being drafted? That's gotta say something about the scouting.....

G. Host
09-05-2004, 09:46 PM
It says the Bills do not have hard feelings about being sold on Henry and then finding our he had "special help" in college. :nervous:

I think the number of Volunteers drafted has to do with scouting changes with changing of GMs. One year post Butler most of the scouts' contracts were up and they choose to go with Chargers organization. Similiarly many of the scouts in Steelers organization (and some from Eagles) are with Bills.

G. Host
09-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Read the review on him from Buffalo Bills.com:

Elected as team captain for 2003 season after missing the entire 2002 campaign with a knee injury - shows respect by teammates and leadership

started every game at the right defensive end spot and was only defensive lineman to start every game…ranked third on the team with 3.5 sacks during the 2003 season, giving him a total of 10.5 for his career…his 52 tackles were good for eighth-best on the team… - Shows durability and drive

redshirted in 2002 after suffering a knee injury in the final preseason scrimmage… - shows ability to come back from injury like Evans

in 2001, stepped into starting lineup for three games due to injuries along the defensive line and responded in fine fashion…scored three different ways during the season…started the season by sacking the Syracuse quarterback in the end zone for a safety…showed athletic ability when he caught two-point conversion pass on an extra point attempt that went awry against Memphis…finished his scoring by returning a fumble recovery for a touchdown against Kentucky… - Shows versitity which is very important for special teams

in 2000, gained attention with his work on special teams in kick coverage…totaled 14 tackles on the season… - tackling ability

in 1999, played as reserve defensive end and on special teams in final nine games of the season. - shows ability to learn quickly

The Buffalo Bills website always shows highlights like a resume - the good without the bad but it does not surprise me he made roster.

Tatonka
09-06-2004, 02:32 AM
i thought he showed great speed around the corner all preseason.. though it was against 2nd and 3rd string guys.. but he has some speed and with some instruction, there is no reason he cant be good.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-06-2004, 06:11 AM
A couple of other things to keep in mind about Ritzmann:

1.) He has only played the game for 5 years and is still really learning how to play, unlike the American and even Canadian guys who come into the NFL who usually start playing organized football with knowledgeable coaches early in high school if not way before then. For him to even make it to an NFL camp, coming from Germany, he must have a lot of ability and be a pretty quick learner. That would translate into having a pretty good "up-side" from where he is now.

2.) I read somewhere that in his very first year playing football as a senior in high school, he had 25 sacks. Being as raw as he was, playing up against competition that was still raw, but not quite as raw, that would indicate that he has some physical ability as a pass rusher, which reinforces what my comment above.

With Bannan available to slide over an cover for Ritzmann if he struggles at DE, if he can give the Bills the kind of special teams play that they got from Pike, that would be a huge contribution for him to make to the team. :smile:

SABURZFAN
09-06-2004, 06:12 AM
i thought he showed great speed around the corner all preseason.. though it was against 2nd and 3rd string guys.. but he has some speed and with some instruction, there is no reason he cant be good.

i'd rather have this guy than brock lesnar.

ShadowHawk7
09-06-2004, 09:37 AM
Wasn't McKenzie good on ST too? At least that's what I heard.

Tatonka
09-06-2004, 10:04 AM
mckenzie did play well.. but i guess ritzman had more upside.