X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clumping platelets
    • Jun 2024

Cap Update for 2004 & 2005

Now that the 53 man roster is set, I can give y'all a cap update for both 2004 & 2005. Mind you, 2005 is still very preliminary and it must be remembered that the Bills have a number of FAs, unrestricted and restricted, after the season.

I presently have the Bills $5,894,754 under an adjusted cap of $79,759,085 with $5,327,910 dead cap. Bills have 54 players (includes Travis Brown) under contract. What's missing from that number?

1) Any roster or other bonuses that I'm unaware of for players that made 53 man roster. Some may be LTBE

2) ALL bonus information for J.P. Losman. I presently have his cap hit at only his salary of $230,000. However, while it's been reported he rec'd no signing bonus, he's likely to have rec'd a roster bonus of some kind.

3) Workout bonuses: every player receives modest workout bonuses during the offseason. Usually, they must be on the roster at the beginning of the League Year, which was early March. Each player makes a few thousand, but when added up throughout the roster, could be over $100,000. I have NOT included this in my numbers.

4) Practice squads are now up to 8 players. I do not know what the pay rate of these players are at this time. If it's $5,000/wk, then $5,000 x 8 players x 17 weeks = $680,000 that must be accounted for by the end of the season.

Again, these numbers are very preliminary. However, I've been asked by many what the future holds. So........

with 38 players under contract for 2005, I presently have the Bills $14,677,052 under an estimated salary cap of $84,000,000 with $670,443 dead cap. What NOT is that number?

1) Cap adjusment: each of the past 3 seasons that I've known about cap adjustments, the Bills have had a debit which decreases available cap space.

2) Bonus information for J. P. Losman. (I hope to get this info very soon)

3) 13 more players need to be signed to comply with top 51 rule (even at minimum of $235,000, that's $3.055 million off the available cap space

4) Players who have (or may have) salary escalators: Mike Williams, Willis McGahee?, J. P. Losman(unlikely to achieve)

5) Bills have a number of FAs as follows:

UFA:DE Schobel, DT P. Williams, OT Jennings, FS Reese, OT M. Price, DT Edwards, QB Matthews, QB T. Brown, TE Neufeld

RFA:RB Burns, OL Pucillo, CB Thomas

EFA:DB Baker, LS Dorenbas, CB Greer, LB Stamer

Players likely to have contracts re-worked:

WR Eric Moulds: has a cap number of $8.75 million in 2005

OT Mike Williams: salary escalator which could take his salary from $726,875 to as high as $4 million. He also has a $3 million roster bonus due. His cap number is nearly $6 million.

Bills face a tight cap situation next year

I'll have more on the 2005 cap later in the season
  • NapalmDeath
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by clumping platelets

Again, these numbers are very preliminary. However, I've been asked by many what the future holds. So........

UFA:DE Schobel, DT P. Williams, OT Jennings, FS Reese, OT M. Price, DT Edwards, QB Matthews, QB T. Brown, TE Neufeld

RFA:RB Burns, OL Pucillo , CB Thomas
    Since Pucillo was not cut this year and considering the fact that he deserved to be cut this year, Watch him be the first one signed next year.
    For some reason unknown to all of us fans, he is considered to be good enough. He was good enough to be a starter (LOL) last year, and somehow with piss poor play he still made the roster this year. (YES I am PISSED off he was not cut)

There's truth to the saying Buffalo is a drinking town with a football problem, where a passionate fan base believes it has more answers than Ken Jennings on "Jeopardy."

Comment

• SABURZFAN
      short bus extraordinaire
      • Jul 2002

once again,we'll be pissing and moaning about how terrible the OL looks next year.

i feel soooooo much better knowing that pucillo is a RFA.(sarcasm)
      Originally posted by yordad
      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
        Now that the 53 man roster is set, I can give y'all a cap update for both 2004 & 2005. Mind you, 2005 is still very preliminary and it must be remembered that the Bills have a number of FAs, unrestricted and restricted, after the season.

I presently have the Bills $5,894,754 under an adjusted cap of $79,759,085 with $5,327,910 dead cap. Bills have 54 players (includes Travis Brown) under contract. What's missing from that number?

1) Any roster or other bonuses that I'm unaware of for players that made 53 man roster. Some may be LTBE

2) ALL bonus information for J.P. Losman. I presently have his cap hit at only his salary of $230,000. However, while it's been reported he rec'd no signing bonus, he's likely to have rec'd a roster bonus of some kind.

3) Workout bonuses: every player receives modest workout bonuses during the offseason. Usually, they must be on the roster at the beginning of the League Year, which was early March. Each player makes a few thousand, but when added up throughout the roster, could be over $100,000. I have NOT included this in my numbers.

4) Practice squads are now up to 8 players. I do not know what the pay rate of these players are at this time. If it's $5,000/wk, then $5,000 x 8 players x 17 weeks = $680,000 that must be accounted for by the end of the season.

with 38 players under contract for 2005, I presently have the Bills $14,677,052 under an estimated salary cap of $84,000,000 with $670,443 dead cap. What NOT is that number?

1) Cap adjusment: each of the past 3 seasons that I've known about cap adjustments, the Bills have had a debit which decreases available cap space.

2) Bonus information for J. P. Losman. (I hope to get this info very soon)

3) 13 more players need to be signed to comply with top 51 rule (even at minimum of $235,000, that's $3.055 million off the available cap space

4) Players who have (or may have) salary escalators: Mike Williams, Willis McGahee?, J. P. Losman(unlikely to achieve)

RFA:RB Burns, OL Pucillo, CB Thomas

EFA:DB Baker, LS Dorenbas, CB Greer, LB Stamer

Players likely to have contracts re-worked:

WR Eric Moulds: has a cap number of $8.75 million in 2005

OT Mike Williams: salary escalator which could take his salary from $726,875 to as high as $4 million. He also has a $3 million roster bonus due. His cap number is nearly $6 million.

Bills face a tight cap situation next year

I'll have more on the 2005 cap later in the season
        sure, earlier in the week I said they would have over $5 mil free on the cap and you laughed....

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• ScottLawrence
          • Jan 2004

Do we have enough to resign at least 2 next year clump?
          You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Comment

• G. Host
            Banned
            • Jul 2002

Did you include the $500,000 signing bonus given to Jason Gildon?

Comment

• The Spaz
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by G. Host
              It wasn't 500,000 to my knowledge it was only 100,000

Comment

• G. Host
                Banned
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
                It wasn't 500,000 to my knowledge it was only 100,000
                Reported as $500,000 iin Buffalo News
                By MARK GAUGHAN

Gildon signed a one-year, incentive-laden deal with the Bills. His signing bonus of about $500,000 will count against the Bills' cap. The Bills should have plenty of cap space to deal with injuries the rest of the season.
                Unlike Sullivan he usually has his facts straight and will correct them when wrong.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                  sure, earlier in the week I said they would have over $5 mil free on the cap and you laughed....
                  I was laughing at those on another site who said the Bills only had $1 million available.
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-06-2004, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• clumping platelets

I've seen reports that his signing bonus was only $100,000.

Yes, that is included in the dead cap

Comment

• clumping platelets

Reported as $500,000 iin Buffalo News
                      By MARK GAUGHAN

Unlike Sullivan he usually has his facts straight and will correct them when wrong.

Buffalo News leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to reporting salary cap info. Len P. reported $100,000 and that's what I've used.

Comment

Working...
                      X