PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins: It's official -- Fiedler starts

Pride
09-07-2004, 09:27 AM
Dolphins: It's official -- Fiedler starts

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Tuesday, September 7, 2004

News
Jay Fiedler will be the starting quarterback for the Dolphins on Sunday against the Titans. According to the Miami Herald, coach Dave Wannstedt felt Feidler's better command of the offense and greater mobility gives him the edge against the Titans on Sunday.

Views
There is no guarantee Fiedler will stay the starter all season, or even beyond Sunday. Jay is not worth a fantasy start, and is worth a roster spot only in very deep leagues. We're betting Feeley still ends up starting more games than Fiedler this season, but neither is an attractive fantasy option.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=fanball-dolphinsitsofficialf&prov=fanball&type=lgns

Say what you want about him, he is undefeated against us! I was really hoping for Feely to beat him out! Fiedler is a savvy QB who knows how to win. Not pretty, but he gets the job done.

The Spaz
09-07-2004, 09:29 AM
It's always good to spend a #2 pick on a #2 QB.:snicker:

clumping platelets
09-07-2004, 09:30 AM
No Wicky and even more porous OL :dance:

Ebenezer
09-07-2004, 09:33 AM
Has Fiedler ever played an entire season?? I think Feely will end up starting at least a game.

The Spaz
09-07-2004, 09:35 AM
Has Fiedler ever played an entire season?? I think Feely will end up starting at least a game.

True but if you spend that much on a player you think he would contribute right away.

ryjam282
09-07-2004, 09:39 AM

LOL, how bout them Cowboys....They traded a #2 for a 3rd stringer....:D

The Spaz
09-07-2004, 09:42 AM

Forgot about that and they also passed on Steven Jackson.

carybillsfan
09-07-2004, 10:02 AM

Yeah but unfortunately we traded a #1 to them for a guy who's out at least half the season

ryjam282
09-07-2004, 10:10 AM
NO, we used next years #1 on a guy to get him a year early. We all knew he wasn't going to play this year.

Ebenezer
09-07-2004, 10:14 AM
NO, we used next years #1 on a guy to get him a year early. We all knew he wasn't going to play this year.
plus injuries happen...no way to predict that...

DraftBoy
09-07-2004, 10:22 AM
Forgot about that and they also passed on Steven Jackson.

They got Julius Jones who is more of a pure runner then Jackson, and now Jones has one of the greatest in George to learn from.

The Spaz
09-07-2004, 10:30 AM
They got Julius Jones who is more of a pure runner then Jackson, and now Jones has one of the greatest in George to learn from.

That's fine but I think Jackosn is going to be the better of the 2 besides Faulk was no slouch. George looks old and tired and slow I think the Titans did the right thing by letting him go.

DraftBoy
09-07-2004, 10:34 AM
agreed but George is better than anyone at hitting the holes hard and fast. See the problem I see is Faulk is more of a runner and Jackson is more of a bruiser, so it'll be hard for Jackson to learn from Faulk's style of play. George was a pure runner early in his career and can teach Jones those lessons. Just imo.

Mr. Cynical
09-07-2004, 01:00 PM
NO, we used next years #1 on a guy to get him a year early. We all knew he wasn't going to play this year.#1 in '05, plus a #2 and #5 in '04. And that #2 could have been Jake Grove, a center, who was picked by Norv Turner as Oakland's #2 pick and is starting for them this year. He was still on the board when Dallas used our pick to get Julius Jones.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still in JP's corner and hope he is a franchise QB. It's been too long since we've had that. But we did give up alot for him, especially considering our current clusterf**k situation on the oline which desperately needs a new C (along with others).

Dozerdog
09-07-2004, 01:03 PM
#1 in '05, plus a #2 and #5 in '04. And that #2 could have been Jake Grove, a center, who was picked by Norv Turner as Oakland's #2 pick and is starting for them this year. He was still on the board when Dallas used our pick to get Julius Jones.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still in JP's corner and hope he is a franchise QB. It's been too long since we've had that. But we did give up alot for him, especially considering our current clusterf**k situation on the oline which desperately needs a new C (along with others).

Weren't you the guy stomping Bledsoe's nuts all offseason? Bledsoe stinks- replace him! They took steps to do that long term- now we should have used those resources on someone else?

Make up your mind!

ryjam282
09-07-2004, 01:05 PM
How could it have been Jake Grove? The raiders took him with the 2nd pick in the 2nd round, so therefore, we had no shot at him...Or Chris Snee for that matter, he went to the Giants with the 4th pick in the 2nd round.

JP is just what the DR ordered for this Oline, he is very mobile and can throw very accurately when on the move...Not to mention, when he has time, he has a cannon of an arm. On paper, it looks like a lot but if you break it down, it isn't that bad for a franchise QB. It could be worse, we could be the Giants....Now, that was a King's ransom.

Dozerdog
09-07-2004, 01:08 PM
How could it have been Jake Grove? The raiders took him with the 2nd pick in the 2nd round, so therefore, we had no shot at him...Or Chris Snee for that matter, he went to the Giants with the 4th pick in the 2nd round.

JP is just what the DR ordered for this Oline, he is very mobile and can throw very accurately when on the move...Not to mention, when he has time, he has a cannon of an arm. On paper, it looks like a lot but if you break it down, it isn't that bad for a franchise QB. It could be worse, we could be the Giants....Now, that was a King's ransom.

These arguments can get very silly very fast. You also have to sit there for 3 hours and PRAY your guy falls to you. If the Bills really wanted Grove, sat on their buts waiting for him to drop to us- and he's scooped up- then you are now out a QB of thr future AND Jake Grove.

TD saw the guy he liked & wanted, and had the stones to get him.

carybillsfan
09-07-2004, 01:18 PM
We wouldn't have gotten Grove, all I was saying is you guys are busting on Dallas who gave up their 2nd round pick for a 3rd string and if JP were healthy along with Brown we essentially gave up #1 pick next year on a guy who is...well our current 3rd stringer.

I'm not against JP in anyway and will root for him when he becomes the guy but right now I think dallas made out better than we did.

Mr. Cynical
09-07-2004, 01:25 PM
How could it have been Jake Grove? The raiders took him with the 2nd pick in the 2nd round, so therefore, we had no shot at him...Or Chris Snee for that matter, he went to the Giants with the 4th pick in the 2nd round.Dallas got our pick at #43 overall and took Jones. Grove went at #45 overall to the Raiders. So, in *theory*, we could have had him. But to dozer's point, it is not that linear. However, it *was* possible.

Weren't you the guy stomping Bledsoe's nuts all offseason? Bledsoe stinks- replace him! They took steps to do that long term- now we should have used those resources on someone else?

Make up your mind!Er.....show me where I said we made the wrong call? :huh:

I said we gave up alot for him, considering the number of picks, where they were and what we possibly could have gotten, e.g., a starting center. Too many people overlook this by saying we just gave up next year's #1. JP cost alot more than that. That was my only point.

As for stomping Drew's nuts...I've never Kerry'ed on that one. I have always said and will continue to say we should have dumped him this year. If he does really well, I'll have no problem eating a nice big helping of crow. :D

And for the record, I wanted to trade up for Ben. That would have been my first choice. However, that was then and this is now. As you mentioned, I wanted to do anything to get our future QB in here, so even though it wasn't Ben, I'm happy with JP and hope he will be our franchise QB. I've been impressed with his attitude so far and it was just bad luck with the injury. I really look forward to seeing him in action. (and that can't be soon enough for me)