PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Gordon to be shipped to Miami

G. Host
09-08-2004, 08:01 AM
The Miami Dolphins appear to have ended their summer-long search for a replacement for Ricky Williams. They are close to reaching a trade agreement with the St. Louis Rams to acquire halfback Lamar Gordon.

The Rams didn't want to trade Gordon, so the cost is likely going to be high. To get Gordon, the Dolphins may have to give up as much as a third-round draft pick, but they have the luxury of having acquired an extra third-round choice from the Bears in the Marty Booker-Adewale Ogunleye trade. more (ESPN) (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=1876915)

I did not watch any Rams games so I do know if he is a decent back, a backup quality back or what but Fins scouting staff targeted him so they must think something good about him. Poor Sammy but when he signed in Miami he knew that Ricky Williams was there as starter.

The Spaz
09-08-2004, 08:37 AM
He's fast don't know what else to say about him.

Jan Reimers
09-08-2004, 09:44 AM
He won't be the workhorse that Rickey was, so - lucky for us - the Fins will have to depend more on Fiddler on the Roof.

The Spaz
09-08-2004, 09:45 AM
They won't have a 2nd or a 3rd round pick next year.:evil:

alohabillsfan
09-08-2004, 10:19 AM
They won't have a 2nd or a 3rd round pick next year.:evil:

They still have a 3rd rounder (they got one from the Bears/Booker/Whale trade).

Now, this is what I do not get. The Rams draft him (gordon) in the 3rd round pay him (some sort of bonus) and then trade him to a team that is desperate for a 3rd round draft pick? The Rams really lost it on this one. Thoughts? :doh:

Jan Reimers
09-08-2004, 10:29 AM
Maybe the Rams concluded that they picked Gordon too high, and were happy to get back to even by getting a 3rd rounder in return.

justasportsfan
09-08-2004, 10:29 AM
They still have a 3rd rounder (they got one from the Bears/Booker/Whale trade).

they gave that 3rd pick to the rams for Gordon.

Samphin1
09-08-2004, 10:54 AM
they gave that 3rd pick to the rams for Gordon.

We had our own 3rd round pick and a 3rd we picked up in the Wale/ Booker trade. Not sure which one we gave up to the Rams ( reports say it was Miami's true third rounder and we held onto the Bear's pick ), either way, we still have one 3rd rounder. :)

Mr. Miyagi
09-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Is Gordon even a threat? Will he be the undisputed feature back?

Jan Reimers
09-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Is Gordon even a threat? Will he be the undisputed feature back?
He is probably marginally better than Travis Minor and Sammy Morris. But that's not saying a whole lot.

Samphin1
09-08-2004, 11:52 AM
Is Gordon a threat? It is a good question. Looking at his stats, he had a 4.2 ypc average last year but his first year it was at 3.5 His career average is 3.9, but that is only a two year span so it is hard to say which way he will go. On the plus side, he is only 24 and has a pretty small contract I do believe. Plus, having two third round picks to play with, using one on a player who at least can play to some degree in the NFL is ok by me. He caught 30 balls his rookie season in 13 games which isn't too bad.

For Miami's depth, he puts us four deep at the runnign back spot. Gordon, Minor, Morris, and Henry. Unfortunately, I think one of them will get cut and it will most likely be Henry, which stinks in my opinion because Leonard Henry is a diamond in the rough.

Minor will be starting the Titans game as well fyi. My guess is that Gordon, if he dresses, will see some time.

Iehoshua
09-08-2004, 11:52 AM
I remember hearing how great Trung Canidate was going to be (Faulk's previous backup) and he crashed and burned in DC, granted it was under Steve Spurrier's offense. Regardless, Gordon doesn't worry me.

Sweep the fish!

jaja54
09-08-2004, 12:25 PM
We'll probably cut a guy named Eastlick and move Sammy back to FB. That would give us Minor, Henry and Gordon at RB.

ryjam282
09-08-2004, 12:34 PM
I don't see him as any kind of threat at all. He had a great few games as Marshalls backup when Trung sucked and he hasn't been able to do anything since then. He is #3 on the depth chart in St. Louis as of now and wasn't going to get much playing time....Who knows though, the kid is damn fast and he may be in a system that is more condusive for him...We will see, but Travis Minor is pretty fast as well, but last time I checked, it is hard to run THROUGH defensive lines...They need OLineman.

Mr. Miyagi
09-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Minor will be starting the Titans game as well fyi. My guess is that Gordon, if he dresses, will see some time.
Last place I read said Sammy was starting against the Titans. Where are you getting your info? :huh:

Ickybaluky
09-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Leonard Henry is a diamond in the rough

Yeah, really rough. Like coal. All you need is two million years of intense pressure and you'll have a diamond.

That said, Gordon will help. He has good size (6-1, 225#) and very good speed. Doesn't have a lot of wiggle, pretty much a straight-line guy. Runs upright and probably needs to get his pads lower more. The Rams tried to move him to FB, but it didn't work so they moved him back to RB. Catches the ball pretty good, from what I've seen with his play on the Rams. One of the knocks on him coming out (besides the level of play) was that he was dumb as rocks.

It remains to be seen how he'll do as a top back. Many times a guy will have good numbers as a backup, but when he carries the load on a regular basis it is a different story (see: Minor, Travis). Gordon only has 136 career attempts. I'd be concerned with his ability to hold onto the ball, since he fumbled 5 times (losing 3) in those 136 attempts.

Seems like the Dolphin's paid a bit of a premium for the guy. I'd rather see them get him than get Anthony Thomas from the Bears. Thomas has proven he can carry the load over a full season, where this guy is just another question mark.

Slim
09-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Maybe the Rams concluded that they picked Gordon too high, and were happy to get back to even by getting a 3rd rounder in return.

or maybe that saw this guy had no potenitial and wanted to screw the dolphins over even more.

Slim
09-08-2004, 05:17 PM
that seems to be the trend

Brad528
09-08-2004, 05:23 PM
Actually he was a 2nd round pick i believe that is what the fans on the Rams site were *****ing about

G. Host
09-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Last place I read said Sammy was starting against the Titans. Where are you getting your info? :huh:

I read on several sites that Travis Minor was to start but Sammy was to get significant carries before trade. Since Minor has been with the team it could be a case where a team guy got the start even if he is not the back with most carries.

DraftBoy
09-08-2004, 05:46 PM
I like the deal for the Phins regardless of the price. Gordon came out the same year as fellow Div IAA star Adrian Petersen did. Neither has really gotten a fair shot yet. I liked both and continue to still to this day. He could surprise some in MIA. I say he'll be the starter by week 2, and get between 700-1000 yards

Samphin1
09-08-2004, 06:23 PM

AS it stands, we both may be right. Wannstedt stated in his press conference on Tuesday that Minor would be starting at the HB position. However, it looks like Rob Konrad may miss the opener due to a staph infection which would probably force us to shift Morris into the FB role and start along with Minor.

The Natrix
09-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Scrub

Samphin1
09-08-2004, 06:27 PM
Leonard Henry is a diamond in the rough

Yeah, really rough. Like coal. All you need is two million years of intense pressure and you'll have a diamond.

That said, Gordon will help. He has good size (6-1, 225#) and very good speed. Doesn't have a lot of wiggle, pretty much a straight-line guy. Runs upright and probably needs to get his pads lower more. The Rams tried to move him to FB, but it didn't work so they moved him back to RB. Catches the ball pretty good, from what I've seen with his play on the Rams. One of the knocks on him coming out (besides the level of play) was that he was dumb as rocks.

It remains to be seen how he'll do as a top back. Many times a guy will have good numbers as a backup, but when he carries the load on a regular basis it is a different story (see: Minor, Travis). Gordon only has 136 career attempts. I'd be concerned with his ability to hold onto the ball, since he fumbled 5 times (losing 3) in those 136 attempts.

Seems like the Dolphin's paid a bit of a premium for the guy. I'd rather see them get him than get Anthony Thomas from the Bears. Thomas has proven he can carry the load over a full season, where this guy is just another question mark.

Smack coming form a guy whose team has one HB active for the opener and Rohan Davey as the backup QB? Better hope Brady and Dillon don't get injured, or else you guys will be in some deep doo doo. Perhaps if Dillon ets injured, Miami can trade you our "diamond in the rough" and see you sing a different song?

By the way, still think NE has a better secondary than Miami? That Buckley guy really deflated your argument. :lol:

Samphin1
09-08-2004, 06:28 PM
Scrub

I think you are looking for the JP Losman thread with that comment. :dance:

Marino13Phins
09-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Smack coming form a guy whose team has one HB active for the opener and Rohan Davey as the backup QB? Better hope Brady and Dillon don't get injured, or else you guys will be in some deep doo doo. Perhaps if Dillon ets injured, Miami can trade you our "diamond in the rough" and see you sing a different song?

By the way, still think NE has a better secondary than Miami? That Buckley guy really deflated your argument. :lol:

Well put!

Marino13Phins
09-08-2004, 06:52 PM
I am happy about this trade, from what I saw of Gordon he is a very decent back. He is not the back Ricky was, but he has plenty of upside, and I believe can get the job done. Any way you look at it, it is an improvement over the RB's we had.

G. Host
09-08-2004, 07:09 PM
I am happy about this trade, from what I saw of Gordon he is a very decent back. He is not the back Ricky was, but he has plenty of upside, and I believe can get the job done. Any way you look at it, it is an improvement over the RB's we had.

I'd rather Sammy get a chance but I am glad to see that there are some Fin fans who are realistic. One Fin fan at work was saying he'll be the next Marshall Falk.

Marino13Phins
09-08-2004, 07:14 PM
I'd rather Sammy get a chance but I am glad to see that there are some Fin fans who are realistic. One Fin fan at work was saying he'll be the next Marshall Falk.

I try to stay as realistic as I can. It's laughable to think he will be the next Marsahll Faulk, I hate when people think like that. But like I said, I'm glad we got him, Minor wasn't going to get the job done.

G. Host
09-08-2004, 07:16 PM
It was a minor miracle that they found one before season started

Ickybaluky
09-08-2004, 07:29 PM
How was that smack? I though it was a pretty fair assessment of the guy. He is big and has speed, but is unproven and may be a fumbler. Not a terrible trade for the Dolphins, but they overpaid a little. I'd rather they got that guy than a more proven guy like Anthony Thomas.

As for the Pats depth, I'll be the first to admit they are probably hosed if Brady goes down. Of course, that has been true since 2001. I don't think the Damon Huard would make any more difference than Davey or Miller. In fact, if healthy I'd take Miller over any of those 3.

The Pats are in a little bind by Faulk being out, but they have Dillon and Pass at RB. They can win without Dillon, as they proved last year. Brady is the key to their offense. Not that losing Dillon wouldn't hurt, but they would be OK. That said, I hope he does stay healthy.

Remember, the Pats don't use the FB. They use more multiple TE and WR looks, which is why having 3 TE like Graham, Fauria and Watson are important.

I think it is kind of funny that you are picking on the Pats backup QB. The Dolphins won't be hurt by a QB injury because they don't have a good one.

As for the secondary, yes I would stay with the Pats. If you read what I wrote, you will see that Buckley was barely mentioned in the analysis. However, while not as deep I'd still take the Pats DBs because Miami has no good safeties. Knight has no range and gets beat routinely, and Edwards and Freeman are just guys.

The Dolphins CB may be better overall, but their S drag them down.

Jayhawk
09-08-2004, 07:42 PM
DRUG TEST HIM

G. Host
09-08-2004, 08:00 PM
DRUG TEST HIM

There are optimistic fans, realistic fans and pessimistic fans.
He is an optimistic fan who talks about another perfect season until first loss.

I have no problem with fin fans in general. I sat in a seat surrounded by fin fans. It was a seat I bought from a scalper who told me I was with Bills season ticket holders. They were real friendly and passed around a bottle including to me. It as cold and game was slow so they were asking questions about Bills (like a lot of fans they only see own team players) and I was able to explain and predict almost every play.

Afterwards we were walking out and they were asking for directions so I walked with them saying I'd show them a better route on a map. They got to the truck amd took out map and while I showed the directions one of the guys TRIED to start his truck. The truck battery was dead,

While driver tried to find someone to jump the truck they started a fire and cooked rest of their food. They asked if I wanted to play cards. We played some nickle-quarter poker and I won about $40, enough to pay for game ticket. I'd have played more but I spotted someone who I knew and flagged him down and he gave them a jump. I thanked my new Fin fan friends for the rum, beer, food and cash and got a lift back by my friend to my car.

Now only one Patriot fan I have ever been a friend of and I later found he was NOT a friend.

B-DON
09-08-2004, 11:00 PM
I like the deal for the Phins regardless of the price. Gordon came out the same year as fellow Div IAA star Adrian Petersen did. Neither has really gotten a fair shot yet. I liked both and continue to still to this day. He could surprise some in MIA. I say he'll be the starter by week 2, and get between 700-1000 yards

gordon is from div 2 NDSU(north dakota state). they did move to div1aa this year though. i saw him play in college and he was unbeleivably fast. i swear kiper had him as a top 5 back in his draft preview, i could be wrong though. overall this was a good pick up i think gordon could be a potential 1k yd back

Marino13Phins
09-08-2004, 11:03 PM
gordon is from div 2 NDSU(north dakota state). they did move to div1aa this year though. i saw him play in college and he was unbeleivably fast. i swear kiper had him as a top 5 back in his draft preview, i could be wrong though. overall this was a good pick up i think gordon could be a potential 1k yd back

I agree, I think he is very capable of 1k and a decent TD amount. He is the kind of guy that can break off the long run. But we I'm not sure we have a passing game that will take heat off him. :(

MDFINFAN
09-08-2004, 11:35 PM
I like this trade, but I do want to see more Lenard Henry, I think this guy is a true RB in this league, he's been bury behind Ricky and Minor since he was drafted, but has always impress when given a chance. Hopefully the Bills will get a big dose of him, but Gordon should be up to speed by then. but if they both play against you, I think you'd wish Ricky was back.

The Natrix
09-09-2004, 07:58 AM
but if they both play against you, I think you'd wish Ricky was back.

:roflmao:

justasportsfan
09-09-2004, 08:16 AM
How was that smack? .
Finfans are getting defensive after all the bad press they got offseason. Bear w/ them. It will become a habit :D

Hemlepp53
09-09-2004, 08:38 AM
Gordon is not a threat to where any of us need to worry about Miami topping us in Wins this year. I still think he is a better pick up than their current backs and will improve their ground game but not to the point where the DolFans should start singing the fight song everytime he touches the ball. He is a Sh***y replacement considering who they are replacing. Fin still FLOP this year with or without this new back.

jaja54
09-09-2004, 11:16 AM
I like this trade, but I do want to see more Lenard Henry, I think this guy is a true RB in this league, he's been bury behind Ricky and Minor since he was drafted, but has always impress when given a chance. Hopefully the Bills will get a big dose of him, but Gordon should be up to speed by then. but if they both play against you, I think you'd wish Ricky was back.

Unfortunately we just put Henry on waivers, Hoping he clears to put on PS. I doubt that happens.

Ickybaluky
09-09-2004, 12:10 PM
That is one rough diamond.

mysticsoto
09-09-2004, 12:20 PM
While I guess I should be happy with the Phins getting Gordon (who I don't consider to be a big threat to our Run Defense), I really can't understand why they didn't pick up someone like Ken Simonton who's got more experience and could "atleast" be a pretty decent back up for them.

But hey, why should I complain. Go ahead and give up your 3rd pick. It just means you will also be sucky next year and for years to come. :)

G. Host
09-09-2004, 12:36 PM
For those who have seen Gordon play. how good of a combination does he make with Minor and Morris? Is this a Thurman Thomas and Kenny Davis type of combination or do the styles so contradict each other that the running game can not get into a groove?

rsmithgi
09-09-2004, 01:24 PM
I really can't understand why they didn't pick up someone like Ken Simonton who's got more experience and could "atleast" be a pretty decent back up for them.

:crazy:

The Spaz
09-09-2004, 01:30 PM
For those who have seen Gordon play. how good of a combination does he make with Minor and Morris? Is this a Thurman Thomas and Kenny Davis type of combination or do the styles so contradict each other that the running game can not get into a groove?

Neither one of them are like Ken Davis let alone hold Thurman's jock strap.

Samphin1
09-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Putting Henry on waivers is a bad move I think. If we can somehow get him back, I will be happy. I figured he would go though. Konrad is out for the opener and Eastlick will be needed to play FB. My thought is that after the first game when Konrad is back, Eastlick gets the boot and Henry is brought back on the squad.Secondly, after the first game, I could see us resigning Antonio Freeman. Something tells me he was waived for cap reasons.

NE, saying Freeman and Edwards are just guys shows how little you know about our secondary. Knight is slower but the guy hits big and makes big plays. He very rarely gets beat, despite what you say.

Anthony Thomas is a talented back, but him being injured really didn't thrill me too much in Miami going after him. Besides, according to many sources, Gordon is a vastly superior back to Thomas. One St. Louis beat writer feels that Lamar can top 1,000 yards for Miami. Of course, that is a watered down mark these days, but still, it shows that some people who followed him closer than you or I that he has talent. Plus, with Lamar finally getting healthy after years of playing through bone spurs, it should help him with a little extra speed and cutting and whatnot.

As for the QB crack. All I can offer you is this, wait until AJ gets his chance. I am not a huge fan of Fiedler and expect him to play himself right out of a job. Hopefully in time for AJ to take it to you guys. :) Good luck tonight against Indy.

Ickybaluky
09-09-2004, 07:51 PM
Samphin, your making me feel bad. I probably was a little over-the-top with wise cracks.

That said, we are going to disagree on the 'phins S. I think they are pedestrian at best. The rest of the defense is rock solid, though.

I could see Gordon getting 1000 yards, I just don't think he has proven anything yet.

It is kind of funny, we disagree on Fiedler as well. I actually like the guy, although he isn't a top QB. If he were more accurate, I could live with him, but he isn't consistent enough. That said, though he isn't a guy who is going to win games on his own, he is a guy you can win with. I like his toughness and intangibles. I wouldn't mind him as a backup to Brady.

The jury is out on Feeley, my one concern on the guy is he seems a little erratic as well. He seems to take some chances that aren't smart, although he is inexperienced. Who knows how he'll turn out, there isn't a large enough body of work to tell.

I think Henry clears waivers, unless Arizona claims him. They claim everyone, and they have a need at RB.