X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

With Vincent's help, Evans goes practice route

After practice, long after their Buffalo Bills teammates have retired to the locker room, rookie wide receiver Lee Evans and veteran cornerback Troy Vincent are on the field working on various one-on-one techniques.

It's an exercise they've been going through for more than a week, at Vincent's insistence.

"I told him it was something that we needed to do, so he really didn't have much of a choice," Vincent said.

Vincent said working out with Evans benefits him as much as Evans. But the five-time Pro Bowl cornerback believes the post-practice drills are invaluable to Evans' development as an NFL player.

"This guy has tremendous talent," Vincent said. "He runs like the wind, good quickness. He just hasn't seen enough. Lee's worst enemy is his inexperience.

"During training camp, we saw areas that we can work on. I don't have all the answers, but when we're out after practices working on bump-and-run technique and other nuances of the game, those fundamental things never, ever leave the game and we need to work on them."

Evans didn't need any arm-twisting to stay after practice. He's thrilled to get a chance to get in extra work, especially against a perennial Pro Bowl cornerback.

• Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

That's one of the real benefits of adding a committed veteran like Vincent. Can we now forgive him for the JP incident?
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
      • May 2003

It is all good until Vincent feels he isn't running out of bounds when he has to and blasts him.

Comment

• TigerJ
        • Jul 2002

I think it was over at TBD, some guy reported on a VIP fan event at the stadium. He had a chance to watch a practice and noted that Vincent and Evans were getting extra work at practice, with the particular aim of teaching Evans how to break free of the jam within five yards of the line of scrimmage.
        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• ryjam282
          Offical Billszone Starting QB
          • Mar 2003

That's great news...Vincent will show him the ropes. He will be a lot better as a result too.

Ryan Withey
          Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• Pride
            • Jul 2002

Man I cant wait to cheer these guys on as they come out of the tunnel! I hope they announce the O, they need the support right off the bat!

And I STGod, if they announce Special Teams first again, I will **** a brick!

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
              Maybe?
              • Oct 2003

"I told him it was something that we needed to do, so he really didn't have much of a choice," Vincent said.

I love it!

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical

I love it!
                Me, too! That's what you want to see your veteran leaders on any kind of sports team do for the rookies. That Vincent recognized what the kid needed to work on and "took the bull by the horns" to help him warms the heart of an really "Old School' guy like me. From what I had read about his family and what he has accomplished off-the-field--in addition to his play--I had a lot of respect for Vincent already, but he has gone up even further in my estimation.

And, major props, too, to Evans. I had been touting him on the ESPN Bills messageboard (before I joined the Zone) following the draft, based on what I saw of him at Wisconsin before and after his injury. But, the attitude and work ethic that he has shown since coming to the Bills has made me feel even better about the Bills taking him as high as they did. For him to not only accept Vincent's help, but to appreciate it and be willing to work as the article describes indicates to me that he's not only going to be good, he is a winner--the kind of guy you want and need on your team.

Kudos to both.
                Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

Working...
                X