X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Mickens lost for season

MRI of cornerback's left knee shows torn ACL that occurred on routine play; Jets left scrambling with lack of depth in secondary

When Ray Mickens went down after what seemed like a harmless play during practice more than three weeks ago, the initial signs were that it could have been worse.

Yesterday, Mickens' and the Jets' worst fears were realized when an MRI on the cornerback's left knee revealed a partially torn anterior cruciate ligament.

Mickens, who has missed only two games in eight seasons, probably needs surgery and is out for the year.

"This whole year, all I've been thinking about is Cincinnati," Mickens said last night. "All the hard work in the offseason predicated around opening day. Not being able to play, that hurts."

Mickens' first MRI, within days of the injury, was inconclusive because of swelling. As days went by, then weeks, without pain subsiding or swelling dissipating, Mickens grew more concerned and frustrated.

• Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

When I read things like this, I realize - knock on wood - that we came out of the preseason O.K.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
      When I read things like this, I realize - knock on wood - that we came out of the preseason O.K.
      For the most part we did still would have liked to see Milloy starting.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Originally posted by The Spaz
        For the most part we did still would have liked to see Milloy starting.
        Totally agree, just meant we didn't have a rash of serious, season ending injuries. But Milloy, Brown and Losman were certainly enough.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• The Spaz
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
          Totally agree, just meant we didn't have a rash of serious, season ending injuries. But Milloy, Brown and Losman were certainly enough.
          Understood.

Comment

• The Spaz
            • Mar 2003

Jets have just signed Terrell Buckely as a replacement.

Comment

Working...
            X