PDA

View Full Version : Something to watch with the Pats

Throne Logic
09-10-2004, 06:38 AM
For whatever reason, Charlie Weis decided to go without a backfield on a number of plays vs. the Colts.

Now, I realize that the short passing game is their forte and that Brady is capable of actually monitoring what 4 to 5 potential targets are doing. However, this does leave him EXTREMELY vulnerable to the blitz. I'm not too sure why they wouldn't have Corey Dillon in the back field to watch for the blitz. He'd still be a receiving threat and could offer some protection against a free shot. Plus, it would keep the defense at least a tad bit honest. With no RB, there is something of a good guess as to what type of play the Pats are going to run.

What baffled me throughout the game is that Indy didn't bring the blitz in this situation. In fact, they frequently only rushed 3 guys in an attempt to keep all the potential receivers covered. Furthermore, it's not as though Brady was getting rid of the ball in 2 seconds. He stood back there a few times working through his reads. This is a passive defensive approach. I bet that we don't see this to often when Buffalo plays them. The Bills will bring the pressure (I hope).

I'll be watching next week to see what they do.

Hemlepp53
09-10-2004, 06:57 AM
For whatever reason, Charlie Weis decided to go without a backfield on a number of plays vs. the Colts.

Now, I realize that the short passing game is their forte and that Brady is capable of actually monitoring what 4 to 5 potential targets are doing. However, this does leave him EXTREMELY vulnerable to the blitz. I'm not too sure why they wouldn't have Corey Dillon in the back field to watch for the blitz. He'd still be a receiving threat and could offer some protection against a free shot. Plus, it would keep the defense at least a tad bit honest. With no RB, there is something of a good guess as to what type of play the Pats are going to run.

What baffled me throughout the game is that Indy didn't bring the blitz in this situation. In fact, they frequently only rushed 3 guys in an attempt to keep all the potential receivers covered. Furthermore, it's not as though Brady was getting rid of the ball in 2 seconds. He stood back there a few times working through his reads. This is a passive defensive approach. I bet that we don't see this to often when Buffalo plays them. The Bills will bring the pressure (I hope).

Good Observation.. They know they cant run that Offense with all teams. I think Weis is aware of that weakness and is prepared to make changes on the sidelines if the D-Cord on the other teams sees this and begins to act upon it. But I agree what was up with the INDY D-FENCE lastnight. I know they are no Dominating Force but damn... Looked like they struggled lastnight...

HenryRules
09-10-2004, 07:09 AM
When they went with an empty backfield, they didn't always have just the 5 OL blocking.

It seemed that more than a couple of times they had 2 TE's on the field and one or both would stay in to block.

Watson and Graham both seemed to be lining up either right beside the line, or maybe split out a few yards - giving Brady a lot of options for an empty backfield.

justasportsfan
09-10-2004, 07:24 AM
The Colts actually beat themselves last night.We can beat the Pats.

The Spaz
09-10-2004, 07:27 AM

I absolutely they possibly cheated themselves out of 10 possibly 14 point with the 2 fumbles.

DraftBoy
09-10-2004, 07:28 AM

I noticed this too and my only reasoing is bc the Indy defensive backfield is so bad, the LBs were almost forced into coverage bc they know how much Brady woulda killed them if not. Personally if thats the case then its a ******ed philosophy but who knows anymore...just my thought.

mush69
09-10-2004, 08:21 AM
Personally, I think the Pats took a page outta the Colts playbook. I could only think back to the playoff game when the colts had a very smilar line up against the Pats.

Michael82
09-10-2004, 09:39 AM
That's EXACTLY what I got out of this game. The Pats can be beat and our team could do it. They are not as mighty and powerful as last year and i wouldn't be surprised if we pound Henry and McGahee down their throats in week 4 and win. :up: