PDA

View Full Version : Prelieu over Wire as Starter

juice
09-12-2004, 04:21 PM
:loser: I think it is obvious that Coy cant cover in the NFL.. Would it be to our advantage to start PP at SS next week.. If we take another Lose next week we have the chance to go 0-5 to start the season.

How can anyone say that Wire has any ability in coverage when he had no impact in the entire game and consistantly over-persued on runplays.. The COY WIRE EXPERIMENT is a lost cause.

If we lose next week we could start 0-6, this Coy in Coverage attempt is a Bust.. If Milloy cant play with a soft cast next week, I think we should start PP.

juice
09-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Looks like we could use more Coverage help and less assisted Tackles.. the next two Bills opponents are already game-planning to throw at Wire, he's that much lacking in Coverage Skills. Who Drafted this kid to play DB? :headscrat

justasportsfan
09-12-2004, 08:26 PM
put wire back at ST

Đ²
09-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Who Drafted this kid to play DB? :headscrat
Whoever it was must have been a homo

tampabay25690
09-12-2004, 09:40 PM
put wire back at ST

Thats all he is good for!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Canadian'eh!
09-12-2004, 09:48 PM
:loser: I think it is obvious that Coy cant cover in the NFL.. Would it be to our advantage to start PP at SS next week.. If we take another Lose next week we have the chance to go 0-5 to start the season.

How can anyone say that Wire has any ability in coverage when he had no impact in the entire game and consistantly over-persued on runplays.. The COY WIRE EXPERIMENT is a lost cause.

If we lose next week we could start 0-6, this Coy in Coverage attempt is a Bust.. If Milloy cant play with a soft cast next week, I think we should start PP.

agreed. 100% Can Rashard Baker play SS? Pierson if not.

shelby
09-13-2004, 07:15 AM
F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 30 for 2 yards (A.Schobel, C.Wire).
F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 13 for 6 yards (C.Wire, A.Schobel).
F.Taylor right tackle to JAX 35 for 8 yards (C.Wire).
F.Taylor right tackle to BUF 17 for 3 yards (C.Wire; L.Fletcher).
L.Toefield left tackle to BUF 10 for 5 yards (J.Posey; C.Wire).
G.Jones right guard to BUF 7 for 3 yards (C.Wire; T.Spikes).
L.Toefield up the middle to BUF 4 for 1 yard (J.Posey, C.Wire).

play by play (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay/NFL_20040912_JAC@BUF)

i seem to recall (though i was drinking, i confess) Wire shoving a receiver out of the end zone to prevent a TD.

Wire was not stellar yesterday, but i think he did an adequate job, and that he will continue to improve as time goes on.

Lone Stranger
09-13-2004, 07:20 AM
Wire is another of Donohoe's stellar choices who plays because TD drafted him. TD is thin skinned and is reluctant to admit any error on his part. Otherwise we used a third round selection to draft a special teamer.

The Spaz
09-13-2004, 07:21 AM
play by play (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay/NFL_20040912_JAC@BUF)

i seem to recall (though i was drinking, i confess) Wire shoving a receiver out of the end zone to prevent a TD.

Wire was not stellar yesterday, but i think he did an adequate job, and that he will continue to improve as time goes on.

Yes he can tackle but can he cover and do it well?

EDS
09-13-2004, 08:14 AM
Wire is another of Donohoe's stellar choices who plays because TD drafted him. TD is thin skinned and is reluctant to admit any error on his part. Otherwise we used a third round selection to draft a special teamer.

This is an assinine statement. I don't understand this post. Do you think TD ordered MM to start Wire over someone else? I doubt it. Maybe it was not a great pick, but a third round selection is never a guarantee. I think TD's drafting record is solid. In four years he has drafted a number of quality players. Outside of McGahee, Losman and Evans he has drafted conservatively, yet effectively. Not all of the picks have panned out as planned, but that is the nature of the beast. Mike Williams, if you recall, was universally regarded by experts and people on this board as the right pick a few years ago. No one wanted McKinnie because he allegedly had a bad attitude and some off the field problems (which was evidenced further by his lengthy holdout). As it turns out, he is the better player to date.

Similarly, Josh Reed, Chris Kelsay and Ryan Denney were almost all regarded as solid picks at the time. Hindsight is always 20/20 so just remember that when looking back. Another example that comes to mind is when TD traded down to draft Nate Clements - everyone was screaming for the offensive tackle from Florida (I can't remember his name, but he was drafted by Tampa Bay). Turns out, that guy sucked and I think he has been cut. In return, the Bills got Clements and Henry.

colin
09-13-2004, 08:40 AM
This is an assinine statement. I don't understand this post. Do you think TD ordered MM to start Wire over someone else? I doubt it. Maybe it was not a great pick, but a third round selection is never a guarantee. I think TD's drafting record is solid. In four years he has drafted a number of quality players. Outside of McGahee, Losman and Evans he has drafted conservatively, yet effectively. Not all of the picks have panned out as planned, but that is the nature of the beast. Mike Williams, if you recall, was universally regarded by experts and people on this board as the right pick a few years ago. No one wanted McKinnie because he allegedly had a bad attitude and some off the field problems (which was evidenced further by his lengthy holdout). As it turns out, he is the better player to date.

Similarly, Josh Reed, Chris Kelsay and Ryan Denney were almost all regarded as solid picks at the time. Hindsight is always 20/20 so just remember that when looking back. Another example that comes to mind is when TD traded down to draft Nate Clements - everyone was screaming for the offensive tackle from Florida (I can't remember his name, but he was drafted by Tampa Bay). Turns out, that guy sucked and I think he has been cut. In return, the Bills got Clements and Henry.

yeah

if td liked coy so much, why did he go out and grab lawyer?

because he really does not have loyalty to individual players, but to getting the best team out there.

i still think we either win at least 9 games this year or td is on thin ice and will have to clean house.

juice
09-13-2004, 12:25 PM
Yes he can tackle but can he cover and do it well?
Its Coys lack of Instincts that constantly put him out of position to actually make a play on the ball.. Even on that one play when he rode the Guy out of bounds, If that had been a better throw Wire couldn't have made a play on the Football and the reciever would have landed in bounds for a TD.

Ed
09-13-2004, 02:31 PM
I like Coy and I still think he'll be a good player, but Prioleau is better at this point. He's always played really well at SS and should be starting until Lawyer gets back.

G. Host
09-13-2004, 03:00 PM
M&M doesn't get direction from Donahoe on who to start. People blame TD for lots of things he has no or very little input on.

Wire was "ok" but not stellar - like over priced Laywer was most games last year. Too many people got on the Malloy band wagon because he did good first game with Bills but that was because he could read the offense.

Good play by Prioleau; maybe he heard the calls to be cut when Lawyer is back trying to earn his check.

Mr. Cynical
09-13-2004, 03:10 PM
M&M doesn't get direction from Donahoe on who to start. People blame TD for lots of things he has no or very little input on. I know Philster will agree with you on this, but I don't. I think it is being very naive to think the GM has little to no input on who plays. TD knows his ass is on the line if they lose another year, so if he feels strongly about a player, he will "convince" his "employee" to do what he wants IMO. And given Ralph's undying support and trust of TD, he isn't going to butt in either.

However, I don't think Coy is in there because of TD. That much I believe.

Nighthawk
09-13-2004, 07:27 PM
Wire has not done anything to deserve playing. He is so bad that I believe a rookie would be better back there!

Here's a job for Lindell: Kick Wire out of this town and then follow that with a kicking of his own a$$ out of town!!!

HenryRules
09-13-2004, 11:08 PM
Outside of McGahee, Losman and Evans he has drafted conservatively, yet effectively. Not all of the picks have panned out as planned, but that is the nature of the beast. Mike Williams, if you recall, was universally regarded by experts and people on this board as the right pick a few years ago. No one wanted McKinnie because he allegedly had a bad attitude and some off the field problems (which was evidenced further by his lengthy holdout). As it turns out, he is the better player to date.

I wouldn't say he's drafted conservatively at all ... he's been here four drafts and every single first day he's been agressive (trading down the first year, picking Williams instead of McKinnie (I strongly disagree that was universally regarded by experts as the right pick), trading for Drew, drafting McGahee, trading for Losman. Even beyond the first round he's been rather risky (Coy Wire was a converted LB and not ranked all that high, many people felt the Reed pick was similar to the McGahee pick). I wouldn't call too many of those moves conservative. Personally, this is one attribute I really like about Donahoe ... conservative drafts get you an 8-8 team - the teams that are aggressive/flexible (think NE) always seem to be the ones that come away the best.

That said, TD's draft record has been below average. You can say hindsight is 20/20 so it's easy to complain ... but when a big part of your job is drafting, you are evalutated according to how those drafts turn out. He had one great day (his first day of drafting since he got here) and other than that, it's been nothing. The facts are this (I believe these are all accurate) - yesterday we had:
no starters from the 2004 draft class
one starter from the 2003 draft class (arguably the weakest starter we have - Kelsay)
3 starters from the 2002 draft class (one an injury replacement, one an underachiever on a struggling OL, and the other a solid #3 receiver who hasn't proven to be a great starter yet).
We also have the bonus of Bledsoe.

That's not a very good record.

In comparison, the Pats (the team we have to beat to make the playoffs) have the following from their drafts (I took their depth chart from nfl.com):

no starters from 2004
3 starters from 2003 (Warren, Wilson, and Koppen)
2 starters from 2002 (Givens and Branch)

They also get a bonus for Dillon.

Each of those 5 drafted players played a key role in their Super Bowl teams. I'm not comparing simply by number of starters, but also on quality of starters and I'd have to say the Pats have done much better. Also, they're trying to squeeze in starters on a SB team while we're trying to fit in starters on a 6-10 team so it should already be easier for us to get more starts.

juice
09-14-2004, 12:40 PM
If MM is a Football First Guy, I think he will recognize Wire's coverage liabilities and give PP some Reps this week in practice.. PP was effective at getting pressure on Leftwich and he has more Instincts than Wire.