• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Mularkey

I think Mularkey (and Clements) was outcoached today. I'm glad we have him instead of Dumb and Dumber from last year, but today .....
    -- The gameplan was wrong. The strength of the Jags D is their front seven, and we tried to go right at it. Result: Henry averages 3.2 YPC. My biggest concern going into this game was that our OL against their DL is a mismatch. We should have attacked the secondary. The TD to Moulds was the longest completion to a WR. Drew was efficient, but his YPA was 5.8 with only 9 yards per completion. Drew had the best day of any player on offense. He looked better in the pocket and beautifully beat the blitz on the pass to Campbell. However, he did miss the opportunity to Shelton at the goal line and waited too long on the lost lateral.
    -- We should have mixed TH and WM up more. McGahee was brought in only to spell Henry; if they had shared carries earlier, Henry might not have needed to be spelled and the running game may have been more effective. Instead, it was ho-hum in the second half and we relied on it too much. On our final drive, we ran the ball on 3rd and long. I understand it was to run the clock, but when you're down by less than a TD, you've got to get that first down. Today showed why.
    Of course, this is all second-guessing, and what do I know. Plenty of other mistakes were made too, as pointed out elsewhere. Just armchair observations.
    One more: This isn't an excuse, but that was a BS call at the end. His momentum carried him out; there was no other way for him to fall.
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion
  • BillyT92679
    • Jul 2002

Great post; I agree completely. Nothing against Mularkey, he should learn. But, Del Rio knew what he was doing today.
    Howard Simon and Vic Carucci nailed it when they mentioned this. The Bills' offensive scheme was simply to play not to lose the game. Not ONE BOMB... Drew did mention the Jags were playing Cover 2 which would squeeze out deep throws, but it seemed like they could have tried a post pattern or an out and up or something. Clements called it very close to the vest. It cost him.
    Let's Go BILLS and SU ORANGE![IMhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1G]

Comment

• Đ²
      • Aug 2004

I don't agree...

They mixed in Henry & McGahee very well. This was a statement game that if you are going to play the Buffalo Bills this year, you better buckle your chinstrap because they're going to run the ball down your throats & when you cheat to play the run, bledsoe will burn you with yet another incompletion.

Ahm George W. Bush and Ah will protect America !

Comment

• RockStar36
        Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
        • Sep 2004

What I didn't like was the decision to punt in the 4th quarter. I realize Lindell sucks a fat one, but the punt landed the ball around the 20, so it wasn't that big of a difference, and who knows, maybe he would've made one.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Đ²
          • Aug 2004

It wasn't the decision to punt that was bad, it was poor execution by Moorman on the punt itself. If you back them inside the 10, then it totally changes the defensive playcalling.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Đ²
            I don't agree...

when you cheat to play the run, bledsoe will burn you with yet another incompletion.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Đ²
              They mixed in Henry & McGahee very well.
              McGahee did not touch the ball until the middle of the third quarter. Seven of his nine carries were on one drive -- our final one of the game. That's not a mix.
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36
                What I didn't like was the decision to punt in the 4th quarter. I realize Lindell sucks a fat one, but the punt landed the ball around the 20, so it wasn't that big of a difference, and who knows, maybe he would've made one.
                Up until then our D was playing lights outand Lindell already missed from 41. Who do you take your chances on? Lindell's leg or the D?
                sacrifice1

Comment

• Đ²
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Philagape
                  McGahee did not touch the ball until the middle of the third quarter. Seven of his nine carries were on one drive -- our final one of the game. That's not a mix.
                  Sure it is... 75/25 is a mix in my book. Do you drink rum or whiskey 50/50

Comment

• hintexas
                    • Mar 2003

The Bills need to throw a couple long passes in every game or the defense will shut them down more and more as they move into the box. The backwards pass to Moulds that resulted into a turnover is to risky and I think should be thrown away.

Last year the Bills throw several long passes on the Jaguars so I thought for sure we would see a couple, if they had then maybe they could have scored a few more points and won.

At the end of the game the Villareal holding penalty stopped the Bills from running out the clock.

The Morman punt his 80 yard punts are great but he needs to be more accurat atleast inside the 10 from that distance.

Why were their sdo many just 3 man rushes on the last series? The blitzing was working great stop bliting gave them time to make complite passes.

4th down pass was in the same place on the field as the pass the play before why were the sagfties not their to knock it away?

The final drive and the redzone turnovers and the ball on the 2 but no touchdown all hurt but while I really like comitment to the run I think you do that to open up a coupl long passes not all dink and dunk passing game.

The better team lost today and that has to hurt especially since I think the better team lost last Thursday too.

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Đ²
                      I don't agree...
                      Iif you are going to play the Buffalo Bills this year, you better buckle your chinstrap because they're going to run the ball down your throats & when you cheat to play the run, bledsoe will burn you with yet another incompletion.

Actually, it's not funny. I think I'm gonna

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

Like I said, Drew was the best player on offense. He completed 65%, including 7-for-10 on third down (six of those for first downs). As was pointed out here, it was Drew who beat the Jags last year -- 19-25, 314 yards, 2 TDs. We should have went with him more.

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Like I said, Drew was the best player on offense. He completed 65%, including 7-for-10 on third down (six of those for first downs). As was pointed out here, it was Drew who beat the Jags last year -- 19-25, 314 yards, 2 TDs. We should have went with him more.
                          I agree. It was the playcalling. I though I'd never say this, Gilbride called that game way better than Clements did today.
                          sacrifice1

Comment

• Đ²
                            • Aug 2004

Ahhh, a stats guy...

Remember what happened to the last stats guy around here ?

Comment

• lordofgun
                              in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

Great post, Philagape. I agree 100%.

The way to win is to attack that Jags secondary, and we did not even try to beat it.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

Working...
                              X