PDA

View Full Version : For those that thought the playcalling was too "conservative"...

Đ²
09-12-2004, 08:16 PM
I'm sure that the Edmonton Eskimos could use more fans...
Or maybe Ice Capades ?

I like the direction that Mularkey has the offense going in.

justasportsfan
09-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Actually Sesame Street on Ice was more daring. Bert on a triple toe loop with a back flip. I always knew he was gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Đ²
09-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Did you see Toy Story on Ice at the ACC over Christmas ?

Oh sorry, that was the USA World Cup hockey team practice I must have come across :D

TacklingDummy
09-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Kevin Gilbride's offense produce more PPG then this offense did.

Wasnt for the D setting up all 10 points this O produced nothing.

lordofgun
09-12-2004, 08:57 PM
I'm sure that the Edmonton Eskimos could use more fans...
Or maybe Ice Capades ?

I agree. All 10 points were awesome.

ScottLawrence
09-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Be careful what you wish for... You just might get it. :star:

Thats what I have to say to people who think we were to conservative today.

Philagape
09-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Running the ball is a good way to go if it works. Today, it wasn't good enough to rely on. 3.3 yards per carry. Running it on 3rd-and-11 was a bad decision.
That said, I still think we're better off than last season. MM & TC just need to find the right balance and mix.

The_Philster
09-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Kevin Gilbride's offense produce more PPG then this offense did.

yep...we had one bad game...let's just forfeit the rest of the season

DraftBoy
09-12-2004, 11:43 PM
yep...we had one bad game...let's just forfeit the rest of the season

Are you gonna say this after every loss?

SABURZFAN
09-12-2004, 11:46 PM

i like the idea of how they want to go about with the offense but we don't have the horses on the OL to do it.

Mr. Cynical
09-13-2004, 01:19 AM
i like the idea of how they want to go about with the offense but we don't have the horses on the OL to do it.
Bingo.

Mr. Cynical
09-13-2004, 01:22 AM
Agreed. The TD drive started on the 18, and the FG drive started on the 3 yard line.

colin
09-13-2004, 04:04 AM
we should have run willis more earlier, to spell travis and mix it up more, we should have passed perhaps 4 or 5 more times and run 4 or 5 times less.

all that being said, if moulds puts the ball on the carpet one less time than two (two fumbles in one game, ESPECIALLY in the red zone, is just un heard of for an average Wide reciever, let alone our top guy), of if we have one or two less penalties we win that game. Our D could have been stronger on that last drive too, but over all they kicked ass.

so we were in deep against a tough jags d, and fumbled the ball too many damn times.
if we can avoid putting the rock on the carpet we can win a lot of games.

alohabillsfan
09-13-2004, 04:49 AM
thats how thw ravans won the sb, tough d consevative O! I like it! DO not give up we will get better!

chernobylwraiths
09-13-2004, 06:18 AM
thats how thw ravans won the sb, tough d consevative O! I like it! DO not give up we will get better!

I agree. Last year people were killing Gilbride (and rightfully so) for passing too much and not being conservative enough. Now we are too conservative. That old addage about not pleasing all of the people is certainly right. I like the direction of the offense. They tried and continued to try to establish the run. There were a few really bad runs that drove down the average as well, like that 7 yard loss on the reverse, but you have to try those things as well. As a matter of fact, I liked the reverse call. The Jacksonville defense was reacting to the ball so quickly that the only way to slow that down is a misdirection play. Their ends were rushing straight up the field at times and completely running around our tackles. The way to combat that is to run through the gap left from the rushing end which I think they did well at times. Also what may have been overlooked is the fact that the Jaguars have been one of the best defenses against the run for the last several years and we did OK against them.

IMO, after a loss you can sit back and sulk and point out all the negatives without pointing out any positives and act as if we will never win another game, or you can look at all the positives and forget all the negatives and still think we can make it to the superbowl, or, you can see both the positives and the negatives and hope they can continue with the positives and work on correcting some of the negatives. There seem to be a few in groups 1 and 3. I don't see anyone from group 2 as much as the people in group 1 would beg to differ.

Jayhawk
09-13-2004, 06:51 AM
I am, hopefully we only lose 2 more.

The Spaz
09-13-2004, 07:03 AM

Are you going to give up after every game?

justasportsfan
09-13-2004, 07:49 AM
I agree. Last year people were killing Gilbride (and rightfully so) for passing too much and not being conservative enough. Now we are too conservative. That old addage about not pleasing all of the people is certainly right. I like the direction of the offense. They tried and continued to try to establish the run. There were a few really bad runs that drove down the average as well, like that 7 yard loss on the reverse, but you have to try those things as well. As a matter of fact, I liked the reverse call. The Jacksonville defense was reacting to the ball so quickly that the only way to slow that down is a misdirection play. Their ends were rushing straight up the field at times and completely running around our tackles. The way to combat that is to run through the gap left from the rushing end which I think they did well at times. Also what may have been overlooked is the fact that the Jaguars have been one of the best defenses against the run for the last several years and we did OK against them.

IMO, after a loss you can sit back and sulk and point out all the negatives without pointing out any positives and act as if we will never win another game, or you can look at all the positives and forget all the negatives and still think we can make it to the superbowl, or, you can see both the positives and the negatives and hope they can continue with the positives and work on correcting some of the negatives. There seem to be a few in groups 1 and 3. I don't see anyone from group 2 as much as the people in group 1 would beg to differ.

I am gald MM did not abandon the run. Good. However the run is suppose to open the pass and we didn't because we barely attempted tp pass every now and then. Like I said, the only 2 significant passes we attemted for more than 10 yds. was the TD and completion to Campbell. If we attempted more, their D would've backed off the LOS and we would be running for more 3.3 per carry.

We were more successful running the ball against the Jags this year than last year. Last year however even though we kept trying to run the ball, we made them pay w/ the long balls when they insisted stacking the line. Last years game was the one game that (maybe the only one) that was well called by Gilbride.

Is the sky falling? No. But in a division were 1 game can spell the difference of making the playoffs, we should beat every team we are supposed to and make 1 or 2 upsets.