PDA

View Full Version : For what it's worth, 9/12/04

finsrclowns
09-12-2004, 09:14 PM
Forcing myself to write this, even though all I want to do is.. :puke:

Some positives:

* Other than Mike Williams, who had some trouble with a no-name defensive end named Spicer, and Villarial's inexcusable holding penalty on a key third down running play that pushed us from a first down in FG range to out of FG range (for Lindell apparently) and eventual punt, I thought the offensive line played ok. Not dominant by any means, but good enough to give the QB and the offense a chance to succeed. To me, that's encouraging.

* We held the ball for over 33 minutes and ran 10 plays more than we passed. The fact that we were able to do that against a very physical, excellent against the run team is pretty impressive.

*The defense looked solid and generally did a very good job on a great back in Taylor, holding him to 61 yards. Leftwich made only 2 big plays all day on the D, regrettably it was on the last drive...excuse me... :puke:

* Moorman is the best punter in the league.

* The punt and kick coverage was solid all day.

*Lindell's missed FG was plenty far enough...excuse me again... :puke:

*Bledsoe ran the offense the way the coaches asked him. He didn't force anything, and only a couple of his 26 throws were off target. Of the nine incompletions 4 were drops after the player got hit. One was an intentional throw away from a Williams whiffed block, and a couple others were just great coverage.

Negatives:

*I expected a better game plan with more shots down the field.

*You need a kicker that can make a 40 yard kick consistently. I don't have confidence in Ryan Lindell to do that. That miss was big. And I think it was in the coaches minds when they opted to punt instead of letting Lindell try a 49 yarder with the wind behind him.

*If you want to play ball control, big players need to make plays. Moulds caught a TD when noone bothered to cover him, but he also dropped the ill advised lateral play and the big fumble at the Jags 10. And two other drives ended when Neufeld and Shaw dropped balls when hit.

*Josh Reed didn't do anything wrong, but it seems games come and go and you never really notice he's there. That's not a good sign for a #2 receiver. The sooner Evans is the starter the better.

*Our D does everything well, except when it really really matters. Some of that I think is on Jerry Gray, who doesn't seem to like stepping on people's necks when they're down. But going back to last year, how many times has the opposition converted the winning drive by converting multiple 3rd and longs or, like today, multiple 4th and longs? Some of that is on the players.

I really like our coaches, but they need to coach next week like it's an elimination game, because I think it is. This team CANNOT go 0-2 with 3 division games to follow. Gotta go.... :puke:

juice
09-12-2004, 09:20 PM
Way too conservative on Defense.. the pressure was just starting to get to Leftwitch, why did we abandon the Blitzes? Vincint played pretty tough also.

tampabay25690
09-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Way too conservative on Defense.. the pressure was just starting to get to Leftwitch, why did we abandon the Blitzes? Vincint played pretty tough also.

Boy do I agree with you...I h ave to admit that the D played good but we didnt really blitz as much as we did in the 1st QTR.....

I have to admit very dissapointed, that we had to try to throw the ball on 3rd and 2!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Miyagi
09-12-2004, 09:49 PM
I didn't see the game, so finsrclowns' analysis gives me a great picture of the game.

Thanks a lot :up:

finsrclowns
09-12-2004, 10:00 PM
I didn't see the game, so finsrclowns' analysis gives me a great picture of the game.

Thanks a lot :up:

You're.... :puke: welcome...if tomorrow wasn't a work day... :boozer:

Hemlepp53
09-12-2004, 10:07 PM
finsclowns ... thanks for the point of view.. I count on you guys to hook me up until I find a good Place to watch the game...