PDA

View Full Version : Is the KC game a must-win??

lordofgun
11-07-2002, 01:13 PM
Is the KC Game a must-win game for the Bills? I think it is for a couple of reasons:

1. We'd be 5-5 with a very tough schedule ahead.
2. Tiebreaker purposes...we need the head-to-head wins.
3. We need to capitalize on the terrible play of Ray Lucas and the Dolphins and take over the lead in the AFC East.

Ebenezer
11-07-2002, 01:17 PM
10 wins may not get a wild card in the AFC...it is a must win...they all are for any team better than 3-5(6).

WG
11-07-2002, 01:20 PM
Not only is it a must win, but we need to keep it close even if we don't win. Losing 3 or 4 games by more than 10 or 14 points wouldn't be good to close out the season. If we lose 45-31 I suppose that's better than 24-10. But we need to do something with our offense and end this down streak that the offense is on.

For playoffs however, yes. Must win. So is Cincy, Jets, Miami. Then we'd still likely need the N.E. game since N.E. figures to be 10-6 as well.

LtBillsFan66
11-07-2002, 01:23 PM
I said this last week, but it's on again for this week. This game is a true test. Lets see how the coaches and players respond followig a rout - and against a quality team.

WCoastFin
11-07-2002, 01:28 PM
No and Yes.....No, in the way that if you lose the KC game it does not officially knock you out of the playoffs....and Yes for the fact that this game will determine if in fact youre a playoff caliber team (in other words, if you have what it takes to make the playoffs).

northernbillfan
11-07-2002, 01:29 PM
Well said BF1. They are all must wins. To come out of Arrowhead with a victory, would be major accomplishment and put the team in a positive frame of mind, for the rest of the season.

Typ0
11-07-2002, 01:34 PM
We have to win. We will win.

colin
11-07-2002, 02:04 PM
GW needs this game to save his ass. If his team goes down in flames, he is going out.

TacklingDummy
11-07-2002, 03:41 PM
Priest Holmes scares me. So does Tony Gonzalez. It always seems the Bills can't stop a TE.

venis2k1
11-07-2002, 03:56 PM
This is a huge game for both teams, we are both in the middle of the wildcard race.

4thAndLong
11-07-2002, 04:42 PM
Every game is a must-win.

TacklingDummy
11-07-2002, 04:47 PM
Will Eddie Robertson be guarding Tony Gonzalez? I see a huge fantasy game for Gonzo.

TigerJ
11-07-2002, 10:27 PM
I am the lone no vote. I feel I need to explain. If Buffalo loses, we may all be very discouraged but we ought not give up on the possibility of making the playoffs until we get mathmatically eliminated. HOWEVER, that does not mean I don't think the game is terribly important. It is. It would be exceedingly difficult to make the playoffs with out it.

WG
11-07-2002, 10:31 PM
Indeed TD!

We can't stop any RBs and who's gonna cover Gonzalez?

Robinson? That's a laugh. None of our CBs or Ss can do it effectively. Maybe Clements, but then who are we gonna start on the corners?

Tough call. I see lots of points goin' up this weekend. We'll need to run in this game to keep it close or win. So odds are we lose based on that since Gilbride has apparently lost all the pages of his playbook w/ the rushing plays on them. :rolleyes:

Halbert
11-07-2002, 11:09 PM
In the regular season a strong offense can mask a lot of weaknesses on defense. Even in defeat the offense was making plays, just not the ones that put points on the board. Since they were one of the hottest red-zone teams going in you'd expect that to be strength in most remaining games. A string of 3 or 4 consequtive wins is not out of the question, leaving the rest of the schedule at 2-2 or less to make 10-6.

KC has the powerful offense but a horrific defense. The average gap between adjacent teams ranked in yardage allowed is about 3-4 yards, but KC at #32 is giving up 56 more yards than #31 Jets and 92 more yards than Buffalo! Compare that to the meager 4 yard average advantage they have on offense and it is a situation the Bills really need to exploit while they have the chance.

If they don't win at KC they can only lose 1 more of the tough games - Miami, New England, San Diego, Green Bay - and must be sure to beat the Jets and Bengals. Looking at it another way, if they beat KC, NYJ, and Cincy they only have to go 2-2 in the other games to make the playoffs.

I agree that the Bills will probably win because they need to win. KC needs to win, too, but with that defense they have no real chance of being a late season playoff threat. Buffalo is close enough that they should still believe that can stiffen up enough to do some damage. A slight edge but should be enough to keep them a little hungrier.

Bills 37 KC 31