PDA

View Full Version : 3rd downs

HenryRules
09-13-2004, 05:14 PM
Weren't we supposed to be running on 3rd downs this year? When watching the game yesterday, it looked like we passed on every third down (well, except when we ran on 3rd and 15 or so). It worked, so I'm glad they did it this game - I just hope this is because of Henderson and Stroud and not because its Clement's standard game plan. Just for reference, I looked up on cnnsi's game recap, and here's our 3rd down plays:

3-12 Bledsoe incomplete to Shaw
3-6 Bledsoe incomplete to Shaw
3-4 Bledsoe complete to Moulds (1st down)
3-7 Bledsoe complete to Moulds (1st down)
3-12 Henry for 6
3-1 Bledsoe incomplete to Neufeld
3-10 Bledsoe to Evans for 8
3-4 Bledsoe complete to Moulds (1st down)
3-3 Bledsoe complete to Evans (1st down)
3-8 Bledsoe to Campbell (1st down)
3-10 Bledsoe to McGahee (1st down)
3-1 Bledsoe sack
3-2 I missed Villariel's holding penalty and cnnsi only says it was a penalty
3-12 McGahee for 2

So on 3rd and 4 or less, we passed 5 times, ran 0 times, and had 1 play that I don't remember. This will not succeed as a pattern.

The Spaz
09-13-2004, 05:17 PM
As long as there complete it's fine with me.

Luisito23
09-13-2004, 05:25 PM
UPDATE.....

PATERSON NOW PREPARES 4 AN INFINTE ROADTRIP THAT WILL TAKE THEM 5 MINS. IN CAR 2 THE HOME OF THE TINY BUT DEADLY SALAMDERS...
"LIL SHOES" IS EXPECTED 2 CARRY THE LOAD, CONTROLLING THE TEMPO OF THE GAME, WHILE KILLING THE SALAMDERS GUT.....
WHEN ASKED IN A RECENT INTERVIEW WHO IS THE PLAYER HE ADMIRED, "LIL SHOES" SMILED AND RESPONDED....
"GIMME MY COOKIE FOOL" :loser:

Philagape
09-13-2004, 06:00 PM
I think a reasonable threshhold for running on third down is when it's 3rd and 2 or less. On 3rd and 3, maybe. On 3rd and 4 or longer, then it's not a given that anyone should run.

helmetguy
09-13-2004, 07:42 PM
If I recall, the major issues about running the ball on third down last year had more to do with taking TH out in every one of those situations, or lining up in 5-wide-telegraphing our intentions. Although we only threw the ball deep once yesterday, what we saw was a lot closer to what the WCF is supposed to be, rather than that modified Run-and-Shoot that GW and KG tried claimed was WCF. Now, in looking back at the first post in this thread, it looks like we converted six of those fourteen plays listed into first downs. I'd dare say, under the old brain mistrust, that conversion rate would have been a wet dream. Can you do the same analysis for what we did on FIRST DOWN? Seems to me that was even more of an issue last season.