PDA

View Full Version : McGinest fined for Bledsoe hit

northernbillfan
11-07-2002, 02:12 PM
This just in:

Wiilie McGinest has received word from the league that he will be fined for the hit on Bledsoe. No announcement on how much, as the league waits until Thursday on the amounts of fines.

"I think it was a weak call, but that's what happens," McGinest said. "You gotta play with it. Gotta deal with it."

Full story (http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/projo_20021107_07fine.aa2fb.html?projo_20021107_07fine.aa2fb.html)

JefftheBillsfan
11-07-2002, 02:14 PM
i think it was a boarderline call, no way IMO should their be a fine too...

TacklingDummy
11-07-2002, 02:21 PM
WetCoastFin didn't think it was a cheap hit.

He was right in 1 way, McGinest will now be paying for it.

WCoastFin
11-07-2002, 02:25 PM
see, now thats BS!

mybills
11-07-2002, 03:33 PM
If you go over the speed limit, you get a ticket. He should just follow the rules & shut up about it. Just because you disagree with laws or rules, doesn't mean you can deliberately break them. Personally, I'm GLAD he got fined. I hope it's enough to make him think twice about his defiance next time.

blcny
11-07-2002, 03:36 PM
That's BS. It was a good hit if you ask me. Bledsoe still had the ball in his hands. Let's not forget this is football, the point is to tackle the guy with the ball. It's a contact sport!

venis2k1
11-07-2002, 03:38 PM
no way should he get fined for it, it cost his team 15 yards, isn't that enough?

mybills
11-07-2002, 03:48 PM
Are we all talking about the same hit here? That wasn't football related, that was something you do in karate! :rolleyes:

Typ0
11-07-2002, 03:57 PM
At the point he picked Bledsoe up and drove him to the ground is where the fine came in. He needs to excercise better control there he could have brought him down without picking him up and driving him into the ground. As far as the QB's go I am totally in favor of making the calls in their favor in these situations. Some of the calls against DB in coverage in the past few weeks have been very questionable though. I understand something needs to be done to prevent a serious injury. In fact, I think they are doing this so if there is a serious injury their ass is covered. However, defenders need to be allowed to defend.

TigerJ
11-07-2002, 10:12 PM
A year ago that would not have drawn a fine. If we express opinions based on the past we will often be at odds with the officials. The league is cracking down big time not only on late hits, but on hits deemed to be too violent, at least when it comes to QBs. Grant Irons tackled a guy a game or two back (Harrington?) and I was very surprised he did not draw a penalty or a fine as, far as I know.

WG
11-07-2002, 10:22 PM
Drew was resisting. That much was clear. If a QB resists, then the defender's going to, and has the right to do whatever it takes to bring him down. It's not like he was going down and then he threw him down in spite of it. If you look at the replay, he had Drew wrapped up, there was no whistle, and Drew was resisting. If the refs had blown the whistle or Drew was in the process of going down, then it would have been different.

I would expect every one of our players to do the same.

Ð
11-07-2002, 10:56 PM
Dirty hit. Good call. Fine the bastard.

WG
11-08-2002, 12:36 AM
I suppose. It didn't seem intentional from the perspective of trying to hurt Drew by slamming him down. McG also knows Drew and I'm sure respects him enough such that he wouldn't do that. McG is a relatively classly player who doesn't resort to filthy tactics.

Penalty, sketchy. Fine, definitely not.

lordofgun
11-08-2002, 12:38 AM
He picked him up and slammed him. It was intent to injure.

venis2k1
11-08-2002, 12:45 AM
i agree with Wys, a fine in that situation is crazy

WG
11-08-2002, 01:01 AM
LOG,

He only picked him up b/c he wouldn't budge. Drew's a BIG boy. what, like 6'5" 240.

Check out the replay. McG tried to lay him down, but he resisted as if to say "I'm not goin' down easy." McG was trying to push him from side to side but Drew was too big and strong. So he finally picked him up and dropped him. He didn't lift him extra high or anything. He simply turned him sideways to drop him since he wasn't going down.

If you really want to fault someone, fault the officials for not blowing it dead. He was very clearly in the grasp and could not have thrown the ball. I was a little amazed that they didn't blow it dead. But hey, these are the officials that we've all come to know and love. :D

DIHARD2
11-08-2002, 01:29 AM
If Bledsoe were injured would we be having this conversation? Intentional or not the rule states you could not pick the quarterback up and drop him into the ground.

Injuries happen when that's done, and yes the ref. should have blown the whistle. But Bledsoe has been known to make a completion in that type of situation. So with the ref. its damned if you do and damned if you don't.

It still goes back to the player knowing the rule and playing by it. You don't think New England would not want a penalty against us if our defensive player did it? It is the rule and I believe the fine is right.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

German
11-08-2002, 03:53 AM
:lol:

On the subject. I didn't see the hit but in general I think the league is overdoing it a bit with their fines. Players are getting fined for Helmet to Helmet hits even if it's unintentional.

I'm with McG on this one. This is football and not ballroom dancing.
Injuries are sure not nice but still a part of the game. These people are all professionals (well, Brian Cox is the exception here) and I don't think that they would intentionally hurt a collegue.

It seems to me that a lot of the rule changes that have been made lately are intended to produce more high scoring offenses (I think somebody said that earlier already).

Just watch all the pass interference calls lately. The receivers are all over the defenders and nothing gets called. If a defender just as much as breaths on the receiver it a penalty.
Looks to me like the league is hand cuffing the defenses.

JMHO.

DIHARD2
11-08-2002, 04:00 AM
UNCLE PERV, I am a proud grandfather, it's my granddaughter when she was three years old. She turned five on the 6 of Nov..

The reason I used that picture, is because it showed her character, there she was trying to imitate her mommy.

Thank you for your complement I think she's a cutie to!

As for the penalty; I agree there are too many rules today, but the fact is it is a ruled and it should be enforced for all. I think it was designed more for the headhunting attitude of some defensive coach's.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

German
11-08-2002, 04:22 AM
Dihard,

good to see you tonight. Sorry I didn't send any messages yet but I didn't feel much like talking tonight.

On the penalties and fines, you're right that they should enforce the rules they make. I just don't like the way they do it.

For example, do you remember the Denver DB that got fined a few weeks ago for a Helmet to Helmet contact? He was trying to tackle the receiver and at the same time the receiver ducked so instead of in the chest he hit him in the face mask. He got fined and suspended (I think).

My point is that if the action in question is obviously intended to injure another player they should fine the hell out of him.

If the tapes show that the action was unintended (as it obviously was in this case) they should leave it alone.

I understand that the league is protecting it's most valuable asset, the players, but the way they are doing it right now makes it IMO very difficult for defenders to play with any confidence.

After every hit they have to look over their shoulders for that flag and on monday mornings in the mail box for that letter. C'mon.
Like I said before, this is football and not dancing.

And who doesn't enjoy watching somebody getting leveled?

northernbillfan
11-08-2002, 04:46 AM
Update

NFL announced:

From ctnow.com
McGinest Fined

Defensive end Willie McGinest was fined $7,500 for his hit on Bills quarterback Drew Bledsoe that resulted in a roughing penalty. ...

lunatic_bills_fan
11-08-2002, 04:49 AM
Wys, good point on the whistle blowing. The officials must of known that there was no way Drew was gonna get that ball out to somebody. It was just a matter of time before both players made their way to the gorund. Why not just blow the whistle and nothing else comes of it. I think Jackson made a good point on Countdown on Sunday. He said the defensive players in the league now are all standin around askin "What do they want us to do"?????

DIHARD2
11-08-2002, 06:01 AM
I agree that the defensive player's are afraid to do anything in fear of losing money.

IMO, I think the biggest problem is the poor officiating. The referees should get a fine themselves when they make bone headed calls or lack of good calls or if they don't blow the whistle fast enough. What's good for one is good for the other!

I agree that this is not a dance, but if the players are not following the rules and are given a fine for it, then so should the the referees for not enforcing them or blowing the whistle too late. The only thing that the new rules have been doing lately is, they have been giving sponsors more TV time.

Has anyone noticed that some of these games have been running at least 15 minutes longer than they did last year or the year before. I think in time, the four-hour game is going to run four and a half hour.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

mybills
11-08-2002, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by German

If the tapes show that the action was unintended (as it obviously was in this case)

How can you unintentionally pick someone up? :chuckle:

lunatic_bills_fan
11-08-2002, 06:58 AM
Maybe you're a Jedi and you didnt know it.

WG
11-08-2002, 10:34 AM
LOL Perv. Indeed, Belt is too long, fine. :D

DieHard,

"If Bledsoe were injured would we be having this conversation? Intentional or not the rule states you could not pick the quarterback up and drop him into the ground."

I have no idea exactly how the rule is worded, but if that's it, then you are right. I suppose they have to throw a flag.

But as to Drew's potentially completing a pass, that wasn't going to happen. McG's arms were firmly and permanently wrapped around Drew.

The reasons for all this nonsense w/ the rules is to try and beef up scoring to make the games more appealing.

I suppose you get into the controversial area of fan reactions then. Some, the purists, get irritated. Others, those simply interested in action and little else, are happy.

Which to cater to. Regarding pro football however, my commitment to it has taken a step back in light of recent "fan issues" at the Miami game and then last week as I watched Bills fan after punk Bills fan try and start fights with Pats' fans who were simply celebrating their victory w/o bothering anyone.

There's no reason for that. If the NFL eventually turns into an WCF (wrestling, not Fin; LOL) type of thing, the game could go downhill very quickly. The NFL needs to make sure that it doesn't start catering to the lowest common denominator. I do see a huge difference however in fans generally speaking from today vs. 10 or 15 years ago.

To the league and the team's credit, they are patrolling the stands much more vigilantly and taking swifter and more appropriate actions. But from what I saw and heard from nearby season ticket holders, perhaps they should start banning some people from owning seasons. Apparently in our area alone there are several who are constant problems. Not to us, but generally speaking.

German
11-09-2002, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by mybills

How can you unintentionally pick someone up? :chuckle:

I was talking about the Bronco's defender. Like I said before, I didn't see the hit on Bledsoe (I was out of the country).
:stone:

WG
11-09-2002, 04:43 AM
And we wonder why the NFL is "getting so much better." :D

I suppose that McG should have simply stood there w/ his arms around Drew until the refs blew the whistle.

perv,

nothing like a good old-fashioned spearing to drive one's head right through an opposing players clavicle and out between their blades, eh. :D LOL

Milquetoast
11-09-2002, 12:22 PM
The fine on McGinest was definitely deserved. But you gotta love a player who plays hard every play, right?