PDA

View Full Version : Stuart Scott

Bill Brasky
09-14-2004, 12:01 PM
People need to write ESPN and have this guy taken off air. I couldn't understand a goddamn thing he was saying during Mondy Night Countdown.

Did anybody else catch Jaws calling Chad Pennington "Vinnie"... he did it twice.

Pride
09-14-2004, 12:13 PM
I really enjoy listening to Stuart Scott. Say what you want, he is knowledgable, and IMO funny as hell!

Mr. Miyagi
09-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Except for the eye thing that's a little annoying.

LtBillsFan66
09-14-2004, 12:17 PM
I hate him too. He's dragging down Tom Jackson too.

ESPN = MTV.

LtBillsFan66
09-14-2004, 12:18 PM
I really enjoy listening to Stuart Scott. Say what you want, he is knowledgable, and IMO funny as hell!
I think he can be. But why dumb everything down with ebonics?

juice
09-14-2004, 12:20 PM
People need to write ESPN and have this guy taken off air. I couldn't understand a goddamn thing he was saying during Mondy Night Countdown.

Good luck getting SS taken off the air.. He seems to be running the Show, Season 2 of "Dreamjob" and he hosted the "Best and Worst of" series.

Scott is Bermans Right Hand Man.

The Spaz
09-14-2004, 12:20 PM
I think he can be. But why dumb everything down with ebonics?

He has to "keep it real" so he doesn't seem like a "sellout". He has said quite few racial things as well.

LtBillsFan66
09-14-2004, 12:21 PM
Good luck getting SS taken off the air.. He seems to be running the Show, Season 2 of "Dreamjob" and he hosted the "Best and Worst of" series.

Scott is Bermans Right Hand Man.
Nice shows. Like I said, ESPN = MTV.

Bill Brasky
09-14-2004, 12:28 PM
That "Top 25" show he is hosting is one of the most horribly constructed programs I've ever seen.

I just can't stand him. Last night I felt like he was a pre-programmed catch phrase computer with a virus because he was just running one into another. I was sitting there feeling for Tom Jackson because he knows what he's talking about and he was stuck in between him and that ****** who doesn't know when to shut his ****ing mouth.

juice
09-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Nice shows. Like I said, ESPN = MTV.
I thought the "Best of " series was pretty good in the offseason, It gave you a taste of football with the Old Highlights.

Dreamjob is a ratings show thats capitolizing on "Reality TV" popularity.. Its probably one of their highest Rated shows, and thats the Name of the Game, especially in the world of sports.

The_Philster
09-14-2004, 04:11 PM
Stuart used to be funny...I think he needs to go back to what he used to do or develop some new schtick...cause what he's doing now just ain't working

User Manuel
09-14-2004, 04:12 PM
He's trying too hard. Plus remmeber all of the sidekicks he used to have are all gone. He is like the grizzled veteran no. Come on, when TREY WINGO is your counterpart, you might feel like you have to do too much.

Canadian'eh!
09-14-2004, 04:23 PM

Did anybody else catch Jaws calling Chad Pennington "Vinnie"... he did it twice.

I agree 100% and if i ever see him, i'm gonna look him right in the eye and tell him... (provided at least one of those babies is looking in my direction.. hard to tell.)

DraftBoy
09-14-2004, 04:51 PM
Probably aside from Kenny Mayne the best anchor on the show. He is very smart about his football and appeals to alot of audiences both black and white. Ive seen stats where when he is on SC their ratings take a jump up. You cant argue with those results, I know for sure that when I flip through and SC is on I usually make sure to catch the whole thing the next morning if SS is on bc he is so damn funny in his clips. Dont hate!

helmetguy
09-14-2004, 05:20 PM
When Scott is on, ESPN is off my TV. Are Saunders and Wilbon "selling out" because they can speak intelligently and tell the story without having to resort to street slang. That's keeping it real!

Gunzlingr
09-14-2004, 05:24 PM
Stuart sucks BOOOYAHH!

His song and dance is as fresh as week old donuts. I quit watching ESPN because I was sick of his lame ass.

Bill Brasky
09-14-2004, 06:06 PM
When Scott is on, ESPN is off my TV. Are Saunders and Wilbon "selling out" because they can speak intelligently and tell the story without having to resort to street slang. That's keeping it real!

Quote from last night: "Come on back dawg... Monday Night Countdown aint goin nowhere, we gonna keep rollin on!"

WTF? If I said that back in my HS English classes I would have failed miserably, but this dip**** gets paid to talk like that. How can that appeal to anybody, other than Al Harris and thug rappers?

I will admit I watched that Dream Job show once, and one of the ESPN execs actually ripped on one of the guys because he wasn't articulate enough... and he was 20 times better than SS.

SABURZFAN
09-14-2004, 06:11 PM
stuart scott is annoying.

The Spaz
09-14-2004, 06:38 PM

First :bf1: 2nd I don't even watch sportscenter now seeing I have NFL Network, they actually have hosts who speak english.

The_Philster
09-14-2004, 06:40 PM
I have NFL Network, .:sadwalk:

The Spaz
09-14-2004, 06:43 PM
:sadwalk:

I really am sorry man it's a must have. I didn't have it until 2 weeks ago and it's almost the only channel I watch. If there is any possible way you can get it do it.:up::beers:

ajsdx
09-14-2004, 06:58 PM
First of all, I too am becoming a little tired of Stu's shtick. It's getting old, he's trying too hard, and the eye thing is bothersome, even though it isn't really his fault. However, in his defense, ESPN (and sports journalism in general) would not be at its current level without him. Yes, I am putting a lot of the credit for ESPN recent meteoric rise on Stuart Scott. Why? He opened sports journalism to the young male demographic. Guys like us will always be crazy about sports, but he turned sports reporting into entertainment (although it could be argued that's not the greatest thing for pure sports journalism, it's the only way to make it really commercially successful). For instance, I want Peter Gammons to give me insight into the behind-the-scenes world of MLB. But if he ever anchors SC, I can guarantee ratings will plummet faster than the Genesis capsule :snicker:

One last thing...his ebonics act? Yes, it's getting more and more annoying. But sometimes it's funny (or it used to be funny). That doesn't mean he can't speak proper English; it means he's doing what it takes to attract the widest audience possible. THAT is why he gets paid. Personally, it bothers me a lot more when people on every message board decide that, all of a sudden, it's cool to embarrass themselves by showing how many typos and grammatical errors they can shove into as short a space as possible.

WagonCircler
09-14-2004, 07:26 PM
Yes, I am putting a lot of the credit for ESPN recent meteoric rise on Stuart Scott. Why? He opened sports journalism to the young male demographic.

Recent meteoric rise? ESPN has lost fully a third of its audience in the past five years. Stuart Scott and his annoying defacating all over the English language is a gimmick that has far outlived its usefulness. He's a smart, talented broadcaster and he doesn't need that crapola. Someone mentioned John Saunders and Mike Wilbon. Please add to that list some of the best in the business, Mike Tirico, Harold Reynolds, Joe Morgan and Greg Gumbel to name just a few.

Someday people will look back and laugh at Stu Scott the way they do at Jimmie Walker. And not in a nice way.

ajsdx
09-14-2004, 07:47 PM
Recent meteoric rise? ESPN has lost fully a third of its audience in the past five years. Stuart Scott and his annoying defacating all over the English language is a gimmick that has far outlived its usefulness. He's a smart, talented broadcaster and he doesn't need that crapola. Someone mentioned John Saunders and Mike Wilbon. Please add to that list some of the best in the business, Mike Tirico, Harold Reynolds, Joe Morgan and Greg Gumbel to name just a few.

Someday people will look back and laugh at Stu Scott the way they do at Jimmie Walker. And not in a nice way.

ESPN is still the biggest name in sports, by far. People stopped mentioning being on the cover of SI as the ultimate compliment and started using being on SC. Stuart Scott played a role in that. Wilbon, Reynolds, et. al. are great, and I love all of them. But none of them, Wilbon excepted, can carry the show like Scott did. Whether or not we make fun of him 10 years down the road is not the issue. His time is probably past, but every time you hear the word "boo-yah" it's a credit to his standing as a cultural icon, however small.

WagonCircler
09-14-2004, 07:52 PM
ESPN is still the biggest name in sports, by far. People stopped mentioning being on the cover of SI as the ultimate compliment and started using being on SC. Stuart Scott played a role in that. Wilbon, Reynolds, et. al. are great, and I love all of them. But none of them, Wilbon excepted, can carry the show like Scott did. Whether or not we make fun of him 10 years down the road is not the issue. His time is probably past, but every time you hear the word "boo-yah" it's a credit to his standing as a cultural icon, however small.

I don't mind catch phrases. Boo-Yaah is fine with me, but it's the "we rollin' dog" crap that is annoying and tired. My point is that ESPN is a 25 year old network, and that its "meteoric rise" happened LONG before Stuart Scott came on the scene. In fact, coincidentally or not, the reality is that their ratings have taken a major hit during the period that Scott has been part of the ESPN crew.

BillsFever21
09-14-2004, 07:57 PM
I have no problem with Stuart Scott.

ajsdx
09-14-2004, 08:35 PM
I don't mind catch phrases. Boo-Yaah is fine with me, but it's the "we rollin' dog" crap that is annoying and tired. My point is that ESPN is a 25 year old network, and that its "meteoric rise" happened LONG before Stuart Scott came on the scene. In fact, coincidentally or not, the reality is that their ratings have taken a major hit during the period that Scott has been part of the ESPN crew.

Well, I don't have stats or access to FCC data to back it up, but in my personal view, it was only during the Stuart Scott era that ESPN really took off. Yes, ESPN may have been very popular and successful before him, but he and his crew made it into a household name. People watched SC solely because of him! He practically was the 11PM SportsCenter for a while.

And I agree, his crap is getting tired, and definitely annoying. But he still has cred, and people still watch ESPN to see him act like an idiot sometimes. A lot of coaches and players hang on too long, but when Scott ceases to be effective, rest assured that ESPN will cut him out. They have loyalty, but not above the bottom line.

ajsdx
09-14-2004, 08:38 PM
And, are you serious that ESPN lost one of every three viewers in the last 5 years? That's an almost unfathomable loss of share -- and capital, which is interesting considering the fact that they are expanding their empire (set to release ESPNU, their third expansion in 10 years, in 2005).