PDA

View Full Version : Tough Loss To Take

The Spaz
09-14-2004, 04:14 PM
Overall, I saw some great things on the field on Sunday. There are definitely some areas for improvement. Walking out of the booth, I thought there was no way that the Bills should have lost that game. It's just disappointing to see the defense play so well during the game and then come out on the last drive and allow a score. That's just what Jacksonville wanted and that was the type of game they wanted to be in. They made some great plays on that last drive so you can't take anything away from them. I thought the game could have been won a few times before that last drive but the Bills didn't make some of those plays and it cost them.

As a player, these types of losses are tough to take, but you have to put it behind you and you have to move on. There were a lot of positives in this game that the team needs to take out of it. There were mistakes too and obviously you have to work on those problems, but you have to direct your focus to the good things you did on the field.

The offensive line played extremely well, especially in pass protection. They did a great job of giving Drew the time he needed. He didn't have too much pressure throughout the game and only took the one sack. I talked to him after the game about that sack and he said that he probably should have thrown that ball away. That would have given the line no sacks for the game. They deserved it because I felt they played tough, physical football up front.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=2737

Kolbiss
09-14-2004, 04:26 PM
I am still having a tough time shaking that loss.......it really bothers me. :mad: :cry:

Pride
09-14-2004, 04:33 PM
although I respect your opinion spaz, I completely disagree with your statement abou the OL playing well.

Drew was in 3-5 step drops all day. He was also releasing the ball VERY quickly, but only to 10 yard curls that net'ed 7-8 yards per reception. To me, this is not a sign that the coaching staff, nor Drew Bledsoe have faith in the OL. Don't let the lack of sacks fool you into thinking that Drew was protected. He just happened to unload the ball before the rush could get to him.

When I see the OL hold up on a pass play over 20 yards, I will begin to applaud them.

The_Philster
09-14-2004, 04:36 PM
although I respect your opinion spaz, I completely disagree with your statement abou the OL playing well.It's Alex Van Pelt's opinion...Spaz is reporting it :;

The Spaz
09-14-2004, 04:38 PM
It's Alex Van Pelt's opinion...Spaz is reporting it :;

Shhh...lol.:up::beers:

Halbert
09-14-2004, 08:09 PM
As difficult as it is to swallow, I'm looking at it as a freak occurrence. Sometimes in sports things just line up for one team and despite being outplayed the entire contest they walk away with a win. Heck, three years ago the Patriots had an entire half season and playoffs where it happened to them.

How many games do you think you'll have to watch to see something like that happen again? Sure, the Bills have lost some heartbreaking games before but that was just plain weird. Any one of 10 different things that don't happen in those last two minutes and the game is over. So it was a fluke.

Right now I'm going to stick with my belief that the Bills have a very good team assembled. Fate and their own mistakes stole that one away from them. We just have to keep our fingers crossed that they learn from it and use it for future situations.

We also have to hope for some plain old good luck ourselves. Thinking back on some of the crazy crap that has been going on since last season, we sure are due for some.

Halbert
09-14-2004, 08:21 PM
Just saw this quote from Jimmy Smith. Ugh. He's essentially agreeing with what I just said, but when I read this it's like a kick in the head.

``We had three fourth-down conversions that we made [on the final drive],'' Smith said. ``How often does that happen in the NFL? Not very often. With this being such a young team, a win like this does a lot for our confidence. But ... we've got a lot of room for improvement. We're not there by any means.''

Beaten by an inferior opponent by a string of flukes. Arrrgh.

LABillsFan
09-14-2004, 08:40 PM
I really think the clock used in camp and the quick releases are because the coaching staff knows the line is not that strong and can not be expected to hold their blocks for much longer until they start to gel. I give kudos to the staff for coming up with this stratagy unlike the prior three years. If not for the 2 fumbles and missed fg we would not be having this discussion. We would be praising the concept. The running game was effetive the passing game was steady or at least the steadiest it's been since week 2 of last season. There were a lot of bright spots and I for one like the progress I saw. Not only that but there were better teams than The Bills who lost this past week who will make the playoffs, which should tell you there is a long way to go before the nay sayers start with the turmoil talk.

HenryRules
09-14-2004, 09:15 PM
We haven't had a winning season or made the playoffs in years ... we've completely rebuilt this team in the last 3 years ... i'm not in the mood to hear "positive signs", "fluke loss", "progress", "bad luck". I want a freaking win.

Losing begets losing ... we need to start winning. Until we post w's, I don't think the Bills can be pleased at all.

Reading the posts on this thread - it sounds like we're a rebuilding team again. Excuse me for expecting more from a team that's been 17-31 in the last 3 years ... rebuilding time is over.

Mr. Cynical
09-14-2004, 09:54 PM
We haven't had a winning season or made the playoffs in years ... we've completely rebuilt this team in the last 3 years ... i'm not in the mood to hear "positive signs", "fluke loss", "progress", "bad luck". I want a freaking win.

Losing begets losing ... we need to start winning. Until we post w's, I don't think the Bills can be pleased at all.

Reading the posts on this thread - it sounds like we're a rebuilding team again. Excuse me for expecting more from a team that's been 17-31 in the last 3 years ... rebuilding time is over.I hear you, but the fact is we are still in rebuild/refine mode unfortunately. The offense was in need of a rebuild this offseason, and playerwise the answer was drafting JP and Evans, and bringing in Villarial. Given that the line sucks and JP is not likely to get any real experience this year, you can expect another year after this to "refine/rebuild". IMO, realistically we won't be legit contenders until '06.

So, if you look at it, since '95 the Bills have been a first round wildcard loser 3 times (96, 98, 99) and missed the playoff 5 times (97, 00, 01, 02, 03) over an 8 year span. Interesting thing to note - the times we made those playoffs were with Kelly and Flutie at the helm. Goes to show how much impact a QB can have IMO.

The truth is, we've been struggling to rebuild this team since Kelly and Levy left in 96/97. 2 winning seasons in 6 years since then is pretty bad. I just hope with every fiber of my being that we finally have the core pieces in MM, TC, WM, JP and Evans. If not, I shudder to think about yet another 3-4 years of struggling before we have to try again. :(

SaviorFlutie!
09-14-2004, 09:58 PM
Agreed Cynical.

Halbert
09-14-2004, 10:05 PM
Actually, McNally has done more with less - consider the line that took the Giants to the SB.

So they won't be the reincarnation of the Electric Company, but they could definitely be effective enough to get average production out of the offense. With the defense the Bills have that should be good enough to make a serious playoff drive.

That loss was a significant blow. But it isn't close to a knock-out punch.

I'm sticking with 10-6, but that means they now have to win a game I expected them to almost certainly lose. At New England or Seattle would be great scenarios for that requirement. We just have to wait and see.