PDA

View Full Version : It's Weds. Are we over the loss yet?

justasportsfan
09-15-2004, 07:53 AM
PASSING
CP/AT YDS TD INT
R. Gannon 20/37 305 2 2

RUSHING
ATT YDS TD LG
T. Wheatley 11 24 0 10
J. Fargas 7 17 0 11
Z. Crockett 2 10 0 9
J. Redmond 1 7 0 7
D. Gabriel 1 3 0 3

They ran 22 X and passed 37 X. Coached by Norv Turner who has beaten our D when he was w/ Miami. They may not have a D as strong as the fins or a Ricky Williams but he does know they bills.

Thoughts?

Earthquake Enyart
09-15-2004, 07:58 AM
If they couldn't run the ball on the Steelers, they certainly can't run it on us.

mush69
09-15-2004, 08:06 AM
We will need to get some pressure on Gannon and get him out of the pocket. He isn't the best at throwing on the run, and 1 good hit could put him outta the game. Then what do they have Collins, he is still complaining that he was released from the Giants.

I'm not really worried about the running game I think we have the personel to stop them.

On the offensive side of the ball we will need our O-line to step up and contain Sapp and Ted. Got to get the ball to the outside and exploit the weak D-backs that the Raiders have! If Bledsoe has time and we hang on to the ball, we could have an excellent week for scoring, which we haven't done in quite sometime now!

lordofgun
09-15-2004, 08:16 AM
Let's talk about how Lindell's going to lose this game too. :up:

:couch:

Icer
09-15-2004, 08:16 AM
Wheatley sucks, they'd be better off making Fargas the feature back.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-15-2004, 08:19 AM
I agree that the Raiders will have difficulty running on us...

I see them attacking us in the air, on both long and short routes and combo routes.

We seem to have a good handle on the short game..our linebackers are all fine pass defenders.

I am worried about long passes as I think our secondary is very average.
I hope the Raiders can't get matchups with Fletcher having to cover a speedy wr on a long route...if it happens, we are in trouble because we can't score points.
The Raiders have 5 legitimate big play receivers and Gannon is still good enough to pick us apart....let's hope that the secondary brings their A game because if they slip up at all, we will have very little chance of winning.

My match up analysis:

Oakland Offense vs. Bills Offense: Advantage Oakland

Oakland Defense vs. Bills Defense: Advantage Buffalo

Special teams: Advantage Oakland (largely because of Lindell)

Coaching: Tie---neither team has a coach that will win the game for them yet...and both have the potential to lose the game for their team.

To me, given the weak Buffalo offense, I just can't see us winning in Oakland.....

justasportsfan
09-15-2004, 08:21 AM
Are we in trouble if the Raider fans start the wave?

ShadowHawk7
09-15-2004, 09:52 AM
I am worried about long passes as I think our secondary is very average.
I hope the Raiders can't get matchups with Fletcher having to cover a speedy wr on a long route...if it happens, we are in trouble because we can't score points.
The Raiders have 5 legitimate big play receivers and Gannon is still good enough to pick us apart....let's hope that the secondary brings their A game because if they slip up at all, we will have very little chance of winning.

My match up analysis:

Oakland Offense vs. Bills Offense: Advantage Oakland

Oakland Defense vs. Bills Defense: Advantage Buffalo

Coaching: Tie---neither team has a coach that will win the game for them yet...and both have the potential to lose the game for their team.

Our secondary is very average? Are you kidding me? Who in the NFL has a great secondary then? I'd say we have a top 5 secondary. Clements played an excellent game except for one play, Vincent impressed me more than I thought he would, Milloy is very solid, while he won't get us many picks, and Reese is a good FS that can tackle decently, and can cover good. And now he has a awesome pick on his belt, lets hope he can keep it up.
Also, who are their 5 playmaker WRs? Gabriel, and Porter, and............. uh, Gabriel and Porter.

Oakland Offense vs. Bills Offense: Without a semblence of a Raider's running game, I'll say push, if we can keep mistakes to a minimum.

Oakland Defense vs. Bills Defense: Bills

Bills Defense vs. Oakland Offense: Bills should be able to shut both run and pass down.

Bills Offense vs. Oakland defense: Henry will have a tough time inside, but should get good yards on finesse run plays. McGahee should play well, against this style of D. Pass game should be effiecent, like last week, hopefully we'll throw up a bomb once in awhile.

juice
09-15-2004, 10:03 AM
The reason our Secondary is average now is because of Milloy being out and Wire Starting.. Before LM was injured this was ranked as one of the NFL's best units.

Reese is going to surprise many and end up being one of our most consistent Defensive players.. He's a Veteran and he UNDERSTANDS the FS position.

THATHURMANATOR
09-15-2004, 10:07 AM
Yes I am over the loss. I think this week is a must win for us.

Hemlepp53
09-15-2004, 10:11 AM

LoL.. Man oh Man... Lets Not Talk About That Crap.. Cant We Bench Him And Let Thunderfoot do all the Kicking

finsrclowns
09-15-2004, 10:21 AM
I HAVE to get over it because the post mortems on the Jags game have gotten really old. Yeah it was a hard kick in the crotch but I've got my cup on now and I'm ready to suit up for da Raiders! Tough place to win but truly if we run basically the same game plan as last week, add a few longer passes and cut back on the miscues by the receivers, we can slip out of there with a W. Maybe on the last play of the game. :funny:

Hemlepp53
09-15-2004, 10:23 AM
I for one do not see the Raiders running the ball on us effectivly. Our D Line is too tought and designed for such.. The Passing game will be disrupted once the Defense gets Gannon on the go and out of his game plan. Pressure on the Raider Offense is key in this game. Our only true weakspot is our Kicking game with Lindell. We need to stick to our preseason claim to run the ball and open up the passing lanes. Both runningbacks should get a good ammount of time Sunday and with that said Drew should be able to hit Evans and Moulds for nice gains. Just my view on things..

Patrick76777
09-15-2004, 10:35 AM

Now, don't go Wys on us here!

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Our secondary is very average? Are you kidding me? Who in the NFL has a great secondary then? I'd say we have a top 5 secondary. Clements played an excellent game except for one play, Vincent impressed me more than I thought he would, Milloy is very solid, while he won't get us many picks, and Reese is a good FS that can tackle decently, and can cover good. And now he has a awesome pick on his belt, lets hope he can keep it up.
Also, who are their 5 playmaker WRs? Gabriel, and Porter, and............. uh, Gabriel and Porter.

Oakland Offense vs. Bills Offense: Without a semblence of a Raider's running game, I'll say push, if we can keep mistakes to a minimum.

Bills Defense vs. Oakland Offense: Bills should be able to shut both run and pass down.

Bills Offense vs. Oakland defense: Henry will have a tough time inside, but should get good yards on finesse run plays. McGahee should play well, against this style of D. Pass game should be effiecent, like last week, hopefully we'll throw up a bomb once in awhile.

Well, first off....our secondary is average, not weak or inferior....average.
Clements is NOT a shutdown corner nor an elite CB. He is above average, sure...but tell me what he has done in the NFL to make you say he is great.
Vincent WAS great...he is still good....he is not in the top 15 CBs in this league, sorry. Reese is solid, not spectacular...and has yet to prove (I think he will though) that he can bring it game in and game out. Milloy is our star...and without him in there, we are very average.
WITH HIM we are above average and you could make a solid argument for top 5 (maybe even top 3).
OAKLAND has a great secondary too..
Second, Oakland's 5 playmaker WRS are Rice (still a playmaker after all these years) Ronald Curry (watch this guys routes and hands) Jerry Porter (has all the tools) Doug Gabriel (young stud, one to watch) and Carlos Francis (young guy who is a burner!)
Hey...just cause you don't know the names doesn't mean they aren't good players....how many people have ever heard of Sam Aiken nationwide?

Third--I doubt we can run on the Raiders up the middle.
Mount Washington and Fat Sapp are tough tackles, and I don't think
our o-line can neutralize them consistently at this point in the season.
I think we will be better off running McGahee outside...but we'll see.

Fourth....don't overlook the Raiders running game....while they are not great...they do have some talent and their oline is not any worse than ours....their running game won't beat us straight up, but if we play heavy against the pass they could make us pay.
I can see us shutting down the run, but we won't be shutting down the pass....
And finally....Henry on finesse plays??? Wrong guy I am afraid...

ShadowHawk7
09-15-2004, 11:04 AM
Clements is a big play guy, that is a solid tackler, and a solid cover man. He is in the top 15. I agree with you on Reese and Milloy though. If the Raiders a 5 big play receivers, so do the Bills. :meh: You are right in that it'll be hard to get Henry going, but I'm confident we eventually will, McGahee should have a good game. Vincent may of lost a step, but he is a great player and leader none the less, no denying that. I'd say he's in top 20.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Ok, I will roll with you on everything and everyone but Clements....I like the guy...I am glad he is a Bill....but a great CB? I don't know....what do others think....maybe I am all alone with this but I just don't think he is a great CB...or a great punt returner...lol.

SaviorFlutie!
09-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Good CB, yes. Good PR, no.

He will be great CB though...

juice
09-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Ok, I will roll with you on everything and everyone but Clements....I like the guy...I am glad he is a Bill....but a great CB? I don't know....what do others think....maybe I am all alone with this but I just don't think he is a great CB...or a great punt returner...lol.
Clements is the stud of that D-Backfield, he suffers from lack of Safety Support.. He had alot if INTs two seasons ago when PP was at Safety.. now that Milloy has had a chance to learn the System look for Nate to be among the League leaders in INTs once again. :star:

ShadowHawk7
09-15-2004, 06:11 PM

Agreed on not being a punt returner, I think we just have diff. opinions on Clements, and nothing either of us say will change that. :;

ShadowHawk7
09-15-2004, 06:24 PM
Clements is the stud of that D-Backfield, he suffers from lack of Safety Support.. He had alot if INTs two seasons ago when PP was at Safety.. now that Milloy has had a chance to learn the System look for Nate to be among the League leaders in INTs once again. :star:

The reason our Secondary is average now is because of Milloy being out and Wire Starting.. Before LM was injured this was ranked as one of the NFL's best units.

Reese is going to surprise many and end up being one of our most consistent Defensive players.. He's a Veteran and he UNDERSTANDS the FS position.

Great posts Juice, couldn't agree more.

HenryRules
09-15-2004, 07:03 PM
Regarding the topic of our db's ... without Milloy, I'd say we're average. With him, we're in that 6-10 range, but losing him drops us a few spots.

I'd say the top-5 are (in no particular order):
Dallas (best combo of safeties in the league and I think their corners are going to break out this year - last game was a fluke)
New England (top players all around)
Miami (similar to NE's)
Minnesota (solid everywhere, no real weaknesses)
Baltimore (playmakers all over the place)

Now, regading Oakland ... this is a very important game for us and one I think we can (and have to) win. We've got some tough games coming up after the bye (NE, @NYJ, @Balt) and we really need to have a positive attitude going into the bye week.

With our second half of the sched being so easier and the first half being tougher, it allows us to make a run if we're in a good spot at the midpoint. Unfortunately, it also makes it easier for us to dig a hole that's too hard to come out of and then the team will lose focus and possibly do worse.

I know it's way too early to say this, but this is as close to a must-win that you can get in the 2nd week of a season.

justasportsfan
09-16-2004, 07:49 AM
I want to see McGee return kicks.

Our db's and lb's will be busy this weekend. Gannon likes to throw short passes all day. anyone want Wire over Proileau?

LABillzFan
09-16-2004, 11:50 AM
What we did last week will have little or no bearing on what we do this week because last week's gameplan was easier: focus on stopping the run first because the quarterback can't throw. That plan would have been much, much more successful with a few more points on the board, but vs. the Raiders, the gameplan must be more creative than just "stop the run first" because you must respect Gannon's arm.

Also, my preference is to keep Gannon in the game and not get to a position with they have to go with Collins. Let him throw off another team. We're gameplanning for Gannon and I'd just as soon see him STAY in the game.