PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer Harris sees Jaguars QB trio make history

G. Host
09-17-2004, 07:46 AM
The three Jaguars quarterbacks need only take a short walk down the hall to be reminded of a time when what they're doing wasn't possible. There they will find James Harris, the Jaguars general manager, a big, imposing man who looks more like a tackle than the former NFL quarterback he once was.

Harris was one of the first blacks to be a full-time NFL starter at quarterback. Back in 1969, he was an eighth-round pick of the Buffalo Bills. He had a powerful arm coming out of Grambling and skills that warranted a higher draft round.

In 2004, he would have been drafted much higher. Back then he was more of an after-thought.

"I think we're at a time when quarterbacks are based on how well they play and not on their skin color," Harris said. "We've had black quarterbacks play in Pro Bowls, Super Bowls and achieved pretty much everything there is to achieve at the position. So, I would think we're past making it such an issue."

Harris is a big reason why. He was a trailblazer of sorts, taking all kinds of abuse as he tried to make a living throwing the football. His skin was black, but it also had to be thick.

It was common for him to take a verbal beating at every road game, the usual nastiness that comes with racism.

"It was tough," Harris said. "It was a different time. There were no black quarterbacks in the league, so it made it tough."

Harris had talked with all three quarterbacks about some of the perils he faced, leaving out some of the sordid details.

"He talked about it a little bit," Garrard said. "It was a tough for him; he had to be better than everybody just to stay on the team. It's sad, but that's how it was then."

Now we just accept the man playing the position. more (CBS) 2 of 3 pages (http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7686898/2)

juice
09-17-2004, 12:07 PM
Harris is part of Bills History,good article.

Earthquake Enyart
09-17-2004, 12:10 PM
I have never seen anyone throw a football harder or farther than James Harris.

Jayhawk
09-17-2004, 12:12 PM
yeah I doubt someone coud top his arm from what I saw, and I am a youngin

Tatonka
09-17-2004, 02:48 PM
i cant believe that they pointed out that the jags have 3 black qbs.. my god.. that is so damn racist.. what pieces of crap.. i am so completely offended..

i am emailing my congressman now.

that is about as racist as someone pointing out that buffalo has 4 white DEs for the first in history..

right spaz?

The Spaz
09-17-2004, 10:06 PM
i cant believe that they pointed out that the jags have 3 black qbs.. my god.. that is so damn racist.. what pieces of crap.. i am so completely offended..

that is about as racist as someone pointing out that buffalo has 4 white DEs for the first in history..

right spaz?

:up:

juice
09-18-2004, 09:29 AM

right spaz?
What's so racist about the article, about the Jags having 3 black QBs? :yap:

Buffalo having all White DEs may not have happened in the recent past but that wouldn't be a first.. Even you know that. :liar2:

right spaz?

casdhf
09-18-2004, 09:34 AM
elevate, juice.

Dozerdog
09-18-2004, 09:36 AM
http://www.billszone.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10003/JamesHarrisOpener1969w500.jpg

juice
09-18-2004, 09:53 AM
elevate, juice.
So you agree with him? That Post was BS and you know it.

casdhf
09-18-2004, 10:18 AM
So you agree with him? That Post was BS and you know it.

No, I don't think Black QBs or Whte DEs matter either way. Warren Moon was good. Andre Ware sucked.

G. Host
09-18-2004, 11:56 AM
http://www.billszone.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10003/JamesHarrisOpener1969w500.jpg

The original tough guy #12?