PDA

View Full Version : Huntly not happy

Romes
07-29-2002, 12:06 PM
http://billsbillspage.com/home.shtml#1027961190

This is very interesting. Honestly, I would not be sad at all if Huntley ends up being the RB we cut. I don't know what he would have to complain about but if this is true Huntley is a moron.

lordofgun
07-29-2002, 12:07 PM
CUT HIM NOW! We never should have signed him in the first place. He's nothing special at all.

bduff54
07-29-2002, 12:12 PM
what a loser. he wil lbe in the CFL nest year

Earthquake Enyart
07-29-2002, 12:15 PM
He's too good for the CFL. He'd have 7500 yards against those bushers.

BigMike68
07-29-2002, 01:39 PM
Cut him he is a career backup anyway and tats all he will be here I would rather have Bryson and Sammy anyway those two never complained at all.

JefftheBillsfan
07-29-2002, 01:43 PM
I don't understand why we signed him in the first place...

don137
07-29-2002, 03:00 PM
Some of these athlete's really amaze me. How can someone making hundres of thousands of dollars complain. He couldn't come close to making that amount in the real world.
I wish more athletes were like Mike Williams and Steve Tasker and appreciate what they have and don't take it for granted.

BillC
07-29-2002, 03:10 PM
I hate those unnamed "inside sources"

WagonCircler
07-29-2002, 04:12 PM
"Put him in the bathroom!" (Chazz Palmintieri in "A Bronx Tale")

RedEyE
07-29-2002, 04:32 PM
This tells me one thing, Huntley is getting beat in camp. Bryson, Henry and Morris must really be doing well, and Huntley cannot handle the pressure of not being a sure #1 or #2 leaving him batteling for the #3 slot on the roster. :up: Cut him and his negative attitude.

Did anyone else notice the note at the bottom of the link:

Jay Riemersma was activated off of the physically unable to perform list. ------------> Excellent news :up:

Michael82
07-29-2002, 04:35 PM
I saw that this story is from profootballtalk.com and they are not a reliable source. Don't trust this one guys! It's coming from a fan site where the guy who runs it and his sidekick love to trash teams and sites. I won't believe it until I see it on ESPN or something more reliable.

John Doe
07-29-2002, 04:42 PM
First: Who are these sources?

Second: What exactly is he complaining about? The food and the mattress at training camp? Not enough reps? This thing is way too fuzzy to make anything out of it. Plus, this source thinks that TD gave him a contract as a "...nice gesture because of their relationship at Pittsburg." That would make TD out to be a sentimental fool at best and an idiot at worst. He is neither. To believe this story you would have to buy into both the rumor and the asessment of TD. I am not.

BillC
07-29-2002, 04:46 PM
Another article from the "ProFootballTalk" site-
============================================
THE DIRTY DOZEN

Mike Florio (a/k/a The Dirty Backside) rates the Worst 12 NFL organizations. (Hey Mike, enough of being a roadie for the Backstreet Boys - where's the update?)
7. Houston Texans.

Not bad for a team that never has played a game. We think that the Texans have built a solid foundation, and that they'll become contenders soon.

However, our optimism for the Texans has been somewhat tempered of late. Rumors of a less-brilliant-than-advertised expansion draft slowly are coming to fruition, with a handle of players taken back in February already gone. Also, the injury bug is hampering some key players' ability to get comfortable with their teammates, including receiver Jermaine Lewis and defensive tackle Gary Walker.

Latest example of why they're on the list: When the media collectively smooched Charley Casserly's caboose for his masterful expansion draft, we knew that there could be problems down the road. So far, guys like Tony Boselli and Gary Walker and Jermaine Lewis have been unavailable -- and that group of expansion players suddenly is looking a lot more overpriced, and ordinary.

How to get off the list: As the hype around this team continues to fade, we think that they'll be hard pressed to climb off of this list in their inaugural season.

+====================================

So, an NFL expansion team, that has done an excellent job to date procuring talent (and talent that will be with the organization in 2-4 years) is the 7th worst run franchise in the NFL.

This guy is ******ed. I have to get him a cabinet post

Tatonka
07-29-2002, 04:52 PM
point still remains.. we dont need him, we have more than capable backups

Tatonka
07-29-2002, 04:52 PM
i would much rather see alexander make the team than this guy.. period

SABURZFAN
07-29-2002, 05:16 PM
we need to get rid of him if it's true.

BillsNYC
07-29-2002, 05:53 PM
cut huntly...KEEP BRYSON!!!!!

John Doe
07-29-2002, 06:02 PM
I guess that people here DO think that TD is an idiot.

Dozerdog
07-29-2002, 06:05 PM
I think Profootball weekly is full of S&*#t -

They always have been and always will be- take away all the stupid nonsense they post and there really isn't any football stuff on there.

People don't like Huntley because he might steal a spot from a Bills draftee- I don't see the vets on this team putting up with nonsense like that if it was true.

I think the article is completely bogus.

John Doe
07-29-2002, 06:08 PM
Finally! Dozerdog, the voice of reason.

RedEyE
07-29-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by John Doe
I guess that people here DO think that TD is an idiot.
????
I didn't read one post in this thread that stated a member's opinion of TD.

lordofgun
07-29-2002, 06:40 PM
I don't dislike Huntley because he'll take a spot away. I dislike Huntley because he SUCKS. PERIOD! Have you seen this guy play? He's the second coming of boring.

lordofgun
07-29-2002, 06:42 PM
That said, I wish him well. If he can win a spot, so be it. I just don't think he should get a roster spot by default because TD likes him. I also don't think he will be given a free pass because I have more faith in TD than that.

John Doe
07-29-2002, 06:44 PM
If Huntly is as bad as most of the posters in this thread believe, and if TD has had first hand experience with him and knows EXACTLY what he can and cannot do, then the implication is OBVIOUS - TD must be an idiot.

RedEyE
07-29-2002, 06:55 PM
Let's not jump to conclusions.
The point that you are trying to make, John Doe, contains little sense. It's like saying; Because Grandma bought spoiled eggs on her last shopping trip, she must be a horrible shopper. I don't think anyone here is trying to say that, especially after the amazing off-season TD has given us thus far.

John Doe
07-29-2002, 07:03 PM
If grandma (TD) knew the eggs (Huntly) were spoiled, then she sure as hell is a horrible shopper. TD knows this guys game - Huntly is not a pig in a poke or an egg in a carton.

WG
07-29-2002, 07:19 PM
JD,

Since you apparently think that Huntley isn't a stiff, what makes you think he's anything other than a career #2/3 RB??

Just curious. Because out of the 6 years he's been in the NFL, he's averaged less than 300 yards-per-year over that time. He's also had 1 TD for each whopping 154 carries!

To put that in perspective, it means at 308 carries he'd average 2 TDs.

In 309 carries, Shawn Alexander had 14 TDs.
In 287, Antowain Smith, not exactly a hall-of-fame RB had 12 TDs last year.
Anthony Thomas, on a team w/ no passing game and as a rookie, punched in 7 TDs on 278 carries.
Tomlinson, another rookie on a team w/ Flutie at QB, managed to knock in 10 TDs on 339 carries.

Why does anyone think that Huntley is ever gonna be more than a career backup, possibly even a #3?

If Henry, Bryson, Alexander, Centers, or Morris get cut in favor of Huntley, then something's wrong.

JMO. ;)

WG
07-29-2002, 07:22 PM
We'll find out soon enough if it's true. If he gets cut in the first go round, then it's true.

Novacane
07-29-2002, 07:29 PM
IF he is complaining he probably can count on getting cut. I don't think we should trade Bryson either. Keep him. We need him if Henry gets hurt!

BillsNYC
07-29-2002, 07:30 PM
bled i completly agree with you.....keep bryson and feed huntly to the dogs!!!

RedEyE
07-29-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by John Doe
If grandma (TD) knew the eggs (Huntly) were spoiled, then she sure as hell is a horrible shopper. TD knows this guys game - Huntly is not a pig in a poke or an egg in a carton.

........you failed to look at the rest of "Grandma's" shopping list:

* Eddie Robinson * London Fletcher * Drew Bledsoe* Mike Williams * Josh Reed * Dave Moore *

No one (except maybe you) will blame TD if the only off-season acquisition that fails to make the roster this season is Huntley.

John Doe
07-29-2002, 07:49 PM
OK OK I see the light here - Donohue IS an idiot. The stats just don't lie.

The point:

1. TD has seen Huntly in practice and in games. He knows what this guy can and cannot do. Either that or he has blinders on for a guy that he is familiar with (a sentimental fool) or maybe Huntly has the goods on TD - knows where the bodies are buried. I personally think the first take is the most likely.

2. TD has had a year to evaluate Bryson in PRACTICE and in games.

3. Huntly has started in this league - he has experience and knows the game.

4. TD did not bring Huntly into camp unless he could envision some scenario in which Huntly could help the team (Someone injured, Bryson traded, Bryson cut).

I am just like anyone else on this board - a crackpot with a computer. I know my limitations and have made the leap of faith that TD knows a bit more than I do, or anyone else posting here. It is possible that that he could purchase a "rotten egg," but for that to happen he has had to have lost his sense of smell.

justasportsfan
07-29-2002, 07:59 PM
Td signed Huntley just for competition. The more Rb's they get the more pumped up those RB's will be. Henry, Bryson, Morris....I think Huntley will be gone before pre-season starts.

HenryRules
07-29-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

To put that in perspective, it means at 308 carries he'd average 2 TDs.

Just curious, but where did you find those #'s. The ones that I found for Huntley are: (yr - carries - td's)
'96 - 2 - 0
'98 - 55 - 1
'99 - 93 - 5
'00 - 46 - 3
'01 - 165 - 2
TOTAL - 361 - 11

That's one for every 33 carries, or much better than what Bryson has done with 2 in 241 carries. It also puts him rather similar to the other RB's that you mentioned. And when you only consider the years in which Gilbride was his co-ordinator he did a lot better.

Another question, when was the last time that Bryson was the full-time carrier for a team? How about '94 or so when he was in high school - in 8 years he has not been a primary carrier. Huntley however was one last year and didn't do too poorly playing in Carolina averaging 4 ypc. That to me means that Huntley can be a decent primary carrier. What makes you think that Bryson would do better?

John Doe
07-29-2002, 09:52 PM
Vindication!

WG
07-29-2002, 11:06 PM
HR,

Indeed! I stand corrected. My source was correct, I read the lines incorrectly. APOLOGIES!!! Oops! LOL

Nonetheless, last year, Huntley's best ever, he had 166 carries for 665 yards and 3 TDs. Of those, 168 of them came in the very last game on 22 carries. Since one game does not a career make, that leaves 144 carries for less than 500 yards for the rest of the year. That's approximately 3.4 ypc and an otherwise completely lackluster year.

The bottom line is that if Huntley is anywhere near as good as some say he is, then he would have done something by now. He hasn't. The question is why not? What coach in their right mind would not start a player who could do what other RBs could not do?

I just don't see it. What is the evidence that he's any good? Simply what TD saw? He's a GM, not a coach or talent scout. TD also saw something in Kris Farris.

WG
07-29-2002, 11:11 PM
I don't mind keeping him, but the question is which RB do you cut in favor of him?

It's not Henry, Bryson, or Alexander.

That leaves Morris, Centers, or Crosby along w/ Huntley.

Maybe it is wise to keep one of them. Crosby's an unknown, Centers is one-dimensional, and Morris, well, he simply hasn't arisen to any occasion as many thought he would. He's not a pure FB but nowhere near being a HB either.

Interesting since my original analysis was flawed....

Gotta keep Bryson and Alexander however.

HenryRules
07-29-2002, 11:36 PM
I don't expect Huntley to be the starter - I'm fairly confident that Henry has/will earn that rule and prove to be a dependable primary carrier this year. After that, I don't see a huge difference between what any of the backs bring (they each have their specialties, but overall, I don't think there's a huge difference). However, Huntley has worked well with Gilbride in the past, Huntley has shown that he can handle the primary carrier job if Henry gets injured, and Bryson seems to be attracting some interest from other teams for a trade. IMO, trading Bryson and keeping Huntley as the #2 and whomever wins the battle for #3 is the best possible solution out of this.
I think that by the end of camp, we'll find someone willing to give up a 4th for Bryson and I believe a package of Henry, Huntley, Morris/Alexander, 4th rounder is better for the team than Henry, Bryson, Huntley/Morris/Alexander.

THATHURMANATOR
07-29-2002, 11:41 PM
Huntley has skills to be a decent backup but if he is going to have attitude problems ship him out now.

THATHURMANATOR
07-29-2002, 11:42 PM
What exactly is so special about Alexander WYS??? I would have no problem cutting him.

Michael82
07-30-2002, 05:18 AM
Gotta disagree with you all that think he'll be cut! He is #39 and has been impressing at camp. Morris and Bryson haven't showed much so far, so if we trade Bryson, Huntley will stay. IF we don't...I truely feel that Sammy Morris might be the odd man out.

John Doe
07-30-2002, 06:08 AM
"..which running back do you cut in favor of him (Huntly)? Its not Henry Bryson or Alexander."

Well, its certainly not Henry!

Bryson is a tantalizing player, no doubt - big and FAST, but not a particularly skilled runner. He needs space, and a lot of it. Everyone was impressed with the two games that he gained 100 yards. He had fresh legs and was going against poor and unmotivated defenses - at least that was my impression. He was untouched on several of his biggest gainers - the holes were HUGE. There is the school of thought that he DESERVES playing time based on those two performances and that he has unlimited potential. I just can't see him being a reliable alternative in a short yardage situation when he has to be counted on to break tackles at the line of scrimmage or make an instictive decision at the point of attack to find the right hole. The guy is injury prone to boot. If we can parlay his two great moments into a trade for a decent draft pick, I say do it.

As for Alexander, the guy is 27 years old (Huntly is 28) and has yet to see action in the NFL. People are overwhelmed by his stats from a scrub league. I don't think that his career in Europe automatically punches his ticket for the Bills roster this year. Also, the coaching staff is of the opinion that your third tier running back has got to be a good special teams player, and I think that was the deciding factor between keeping Alexander or Morris last year.

Dozerdog
07-30-2002, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
Huntley has skills to be a decent backup but if he is going to have attitude problems ship him out now. Thurm- the source of his unhappiness is ProFootballTalk.com. The most ******ed and ridiculous football site on the net.

Unless you hear it from ANY other source, I would not put any creedence into the dog**** they put out.

Huntly was signed for competition. The only way he gets on the roster ifs if he out performs the incumbants. Over simplified, but true. The ones who can't keep their positions will be cut. Period!

WG
07-30-2002, 07:58 AM
JD,

To say that Bryson is injury prone is stepping out a bit. He was hurt for one full season due to a major injury. That's about it. Same exact thing happened to Watters in his rookie season.

As to Alexander, my point is exactly that, that he has yet to see action in the NFL and therefore I'd take a gamble on him after his quite excellent season over in Europe. In Denver he never got a chance to do anything behind the pro-bowl roster of RBs. I think he came from Denver, right? Anyway, I'd like to see if he can be productive first before we cut him for a guy like Huntley who's had plenty of opps to show much but really hasn't done all that much to show he's going to boost your confidence if he's the starter.

While the NFLE isn't the NFL, that doesn't mean that players who excel there are not good. That was essentially Alexander's first opp to do anything and he excelled. I think that warrants a long second look here, now.

WCoastFin
07-30-2002, 11:31 AM
Huntley not happy .........Of course who would be when your a buffalo bill?....only ignorant people that think they still have talent in them.......cough cough......Drew Bledsoe.......cough cough.

Halbert
07-30-2002, 12:39 PM
Huntley is going to end up having a significant role in this offense. Just watch.

JefftheBillsfan
07-30-2002, 12:53 PM
What can he do that Sammy can't?

justasportsfan
07-30-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by WCoastFin
Huntley not happy .........Of course who would be when your a buffalo bill?....only ignorant people that think they still have talent in them.......cough cough......Drew Bledsoe.......cough cough.

At least he once had it.

Only idiots think they have talent where there isn't any......puke puke ......Fiedler.......puke puke.

What's worse are the people that are stupid enough to pay him millions thinking he's got it. By next year you guys will be calling Ryan Leaf out of retirement begging him to play for the fins. :bling:

Earthquake Enyart
07-30-2002, 01:45 PM
You want a guy who is not happy when he's not playing. Every one can't be Alex Van Pelt.

crowner
07-30-2002, 02:05 PM
We only signed him because Gilbride was said to be planning on using him in some trick plays at the FB position. I also remember hearing that Gilbride wanted to see how these plays worked out with him in training camp. But that was all i heard.