PDA

View Full Version : Donahoe considered contacting Jeff George

G. Host
09-17-2004, 06:10 PM
A few weeks ago, when the Buffalo Bills lost backups J.P. Losman and Travis Brown to leg injuries within a week of each other, president and general manager Tom Donahoe considered returning the message that George left on his answering machine, but chose to call Shane Matthews instead. That has pretty much become George's existence of late, floating in some nether region where personnel directors remain somewhat aware of his availability but decline to take advantage of it. more (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1883419)

I am not sure that was a good decision by Donahoe; Matthews did very well in one preseason game but unlike Bledsoe, Matthews does not have a strong arm. I think a offense designed for Bledsoe is perfect for George as well. I know what some call him "locker room cancer", etc but when Bledsoe is battered 10 weeks fown the road, the wind is blowing and is freezing out George's strong arm would be much better than Matthews.

Jayhawk
09-17-2004, 06:19 PM
yeah but George hasn't played in what 4 years? Matthews may not have any arm to speak of but if I am going to trust the offense to a player off the street it's going to matthews. I just think that he is not going to lose the game for you

justasportsfan
09-17-2004, 06:29 PM
Mathews may not have a strong arm , but if we keep throwing 5-10 yds. like we did last Sunday, we may not need a qb w/ a cannon.

Jayhawk
09-17-2004, 06:34 PM
just a qb with a brain. Oh wait that might be asking too much (I don't hate Drew whatsoever)

G. Host
09-17-2004, 06:41 PM
The problem is that Matthews's arm is too weak to play in bad weather, it is the reason teams passed on him, and once November rolls around the Bills will have some NASTY weather games. Put Matthews in and you might as well put Campbell in as QB and let him hand off. George was a #1 pick, has serious talent and can handle a full offense. Maybe he could be trouble but with a Head Coach who used to play I think he could handle him.

DraftBoy
09-17-2004, 08:18 PM
Losman should be back healthy by the end of October and I think that was key for TD, in picking a savy proven vet who can run a condensed offense efficently over a big armed guy who hasnt played in 4 yrs. Im not at all concerned about Matthews in bad weather bc I dont expect to see him over Losman.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-17-2004, 09:48 PM
I'll tell you why Jeff George isn't in the NFL he yells at the coaches if he doesn't get his way I remember when he was with Atlanta he yelled at Reeves for not calling a play that he wanted. I'm glad that we didn't go after Jeff George he would just make this team miserable by his attitude. George is a :cry::baby: besides I've always liked Shane Matthews

G. Host
09-17-2004, 09:59 PM
I think George had trouble with coaches who did not have control. He had no problem in Minnesota and I would not see M&M having any problems with him.

Mr. Cynical
09-17-2004, 11:33 PM
I agree...George has gotten the short end of the stick. But how about the rest of that article:

It's clear that the Buffalo Bills (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=buf) are doing everything they can to protect quarterback Drew Bledsoe (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=2359), to play conservatively enough on offense to keep him out of harm's way, and to continue to play great defense. But the Bills learned a tough and painful lesson last week: In the NFL, you have to play to win, and you can't play not to lose. Sure, cornerback Nate Clements (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5468) committed a cardinal sin when he attempted to intercept the ball, instead of merely batting it away, on a critical fourth-down play that kept alive a last-gasp Jacksonville possession. But the Bills had a ton of opportunities to put the game away and too often blinked. Even some Buffalo players acknowledged to us this week that the coaches have taken the Bledsoe salvaging job to the extreme. Bledsoe, by the way, is just 2-10 in his last dozen road starts, and the Bills play at Oakland on Sunday.

:sigh:

The_Philster
09-18-2004, 04:28 AM
They made the right choice. Jeff George is a :loser: