PDA

View Full Version : Can Smith, Teague hold their own?

finsrclowns
09-18-2004, 04:35 PM
I see the matchup of Warren Sapp vs. Lawrence Smith and Trey Teague vs. Ted Washington as key matchups for the Bills offense. At times both Sapp and Washington will be double teamed, but there will also be times when Smith and Teague will have to matchup one on one.

IMO if we could get a draw there the Bills will have a good chance to win. On the other hand if we start having Puke human cannon ball flashbacks or ground ball shot gun snaps it's going to be a long day. It's a tough matchup. Anyone think our boys are up for the challenge? :winkpunch

Mr. Cynical
09-18-2004, 04:50 PM
Can Smith, Teague hold their own?

In a word, no.

ScottLawrence
09-18-2004, 05:18 PM
I see the matchup of Warren Sapp vs. Lawrence Smith and Trey Teague vs. Ted Washington as key matchups for the Bills offense. At times both Sapp and Washington will be double teamed, but there will also be times when Smith and Teague will have to matchup one on one.

IMO if we could get a draw there the Bills will have a good chance to win. On the other hand if we start having Puke human cannon ball flashbacks or ground ball shot gun snaps it's going to be a long day. It's a tough matchup. Anyone think our boys are up for the challenge? :winkpunch

Key matchup for us.... if we can win that, we can win the game.

TigerJ
09-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Well, the Bills have 5 on the offensive line/ The Raiders play a 3-4. The seign if the 3-4 is that your nose tackle (Washington) ties up a couple blockers leaving linebackers free to make plays. Washington will probably do that pretty well. Jennings will be the guy taking on Sapp, and since Sapp has undoubtably lost a step, I think Jennings can take him one on one and hold his own just fine. The battle will be in the middle. On some plays Teague may have to take him on solo. The new and improved Trey Teague may actually be able to pull that off. I don't really know. If not, then he'll have to get help either from Villarrial or Smith. It will depend on the play call. The other guard would then be responsible for a linebacker.Then Buffalo has Damien Shelton as an additional blocker. He presumably would have the other inside linebacker on most passing or interior running plays. I think that's the vanilla version of how it works. It gets a lot more complicated with zone blitzes, line stunts etc., but that's why they pay Jim McNally, to teach these guys how to handle it.

SABURZFAN
09-18-2004, 05:59 PM
as the game wears on,the overrated big mouth and ted will get tired.i think we need to throw tucker in there around the 2nd quarter to pound on them.give villarial a series off even.

Marvelous
09-18-2004, 07:47 PM
Well, the Bills have 5 on the offensive line/ The Raiders play a 3-4. The seign if the 3-4 is that your nose tackle (Washington) ties up a couple blockers leaving linebackers free to make plays. Washington will probably do that pretty well. Jennings will be the guy taking on Sapp, and since Sapp has undoubtably lost a step, I think Jennings can take him one on one and hold his own just fine. The battle will be in the middle. On some plays Teague may have to take him on solo. The new and improved Trey Teague may actually be able to pull that off. I don't really know. If not, then he'll have to get help either from Villarrial or Smith. It will depend on the play call. The other guard would then be responsible for a linebacker.Then Buffalo has Damien Shelton as an additional blocker. He presumably would have the other inside linebacker on most passing or interior running plays. I think that's the vanilla version of how it works. It gets a lot more complicated with zone blitzes, line stunts etc., but that's why they pay Jim McNally, to teach these guys how to handle it.

Great post dude :)
I agree that The New and improved Teague might be able to hold his NT solo. We will see. If Teague does then we need to accept that Teague has improved from the sucky f@$k he was last year. I hope he takes C to th enext level and dominates....

RedEyE
09-18-2004, 09:21 PM
I believe that Washington is the one that has actually lost a step and Sapp will be hungry for a sack this weekend. A young Bills OL and a stationary Drew Bledsoe will provide Oakland just that. They'll have trouble all day opening holes, defending the blitz and protecting Drew.

I expect another tough fought defensive game. And as terrible as Lindell has looked, we can't afford to miss FGs. We'll lose yet another close one:

Bills: 10
Raiders: 13

finsrclowns
09-18-2004, 09:34 PM
We'll lose yet another close one:

Bills: 10
Raiders: 13

Noooooooo! :mad:

G. Host
09-18-2004, 09:39 PM

Yes I think they can for Jaguars DT's are one of the best pair in the NFL and they stood up to them. Last year there used to be serious pressure right up the middle and now it seems that the QB has at least a few more seconds to get his feet planted for a throw so that is a good thing.

McGee
09-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Washington isn't going to record many sacks or chase many plays down from behind, but he eats up tremendous amounts of space and his size should allow him to dominate this matchup. While Teague will get into position quickly and use his footwork to sustain his blocks on Washington, he won't be able to move Washington. This will allow Washington to read the play and then look to either disengage Teague to get to the ball or just drive Teague into the hole. With Washington giving Teague fits, Buffalo will probably give him help with a guard. Tying up Teague and another blocker will allow Oakland's linebackers to flow to the ball without having to fight through as much traffic. This is ESPN's (http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/mismatch?week=2) take on the "mismatch" in this week's game.

finsrclowns
09-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Yes I think they can for Jaguars DT's are one of the best pair in the NFL and they stood up to them. Last year there used to be serious pressure right up the middle and now it seems that the QB has at least a few more seconds to get his feet planted for a throw so that is a good thing.

From Buffalo News:

"He did OK," offensive line coach Jim McNally said of Smith's debut against Jacksonville. "He played against really big guys last week, and he did pretty well. He's a very smart kid and a pretty good pass blocker. He's progressing."

"Right now he seems to be the best pass blocker we have at the left guard spot," McNally said. "He's a free agent from a taxi squad on another team. I think time will tell. As the season wears on, is he going to continue to get better or is he going to level off? That's what we're waiting on."

"It's tough at times if you don't get your hands inside and use the proper technique," Smith said. "Henderson got into me a couple times, but fortunately I didn't get pushed back too much."

Smith has done a pretty good job of resetting his feet against power-rush tactics.

"You have to reset your feet as soon as you feel it because if you wait too late you're going to be in the quarterback's lap," Smith said. "I'm probably a better pass blocker because I have decent balance, but with the techniques coach McNally teaches I think I'm getting better and better at both."

Sounds encouraging. If the line shows it can protect consistently this offense will continue to make strides and get more aggressive also.