PDA

View Full Version : DONAHOE is starting to sweat!

im4bflo
09-19-2004, 07:08 PM
If this year goes down the tubes, does Donahoe?
GO BILLS!!!

Michael82
09-19-2004, 07:11 PM
If they aren't AT LEAST 8-8....

Donahoe is gone! :bigwave:

FTG
09-19-2004, 07:12 PM
I wish but I doubt it. Ralph Wilson is going to give him another shot with JP, Willis, Evans, and the other young guys.

TD set this franchise back 3 years the day he traded for Drew Bledsoe. He does not deserve a second chance but he'll get it.

ArcticWildMan
09-19-2004, 07:14 PM
If they aren't AT LEAST 8-8....

Donahoe is gone! :bigwave:

And replace him with who? Donahoe is still yards better than a lot of GM's. He's made some mistakes in pesonnel and it's costing us now is all.

Donahoe's biggest faults are:

1. He has not addressed the kicking position since he's been here.

2. He drafted Fat ass Mike Williams over Roy Williams.

3. Traded for Drew.

4. Hired Gregg Williams

Those four decisions have killed us ever since they were made.

im4bflo
09-19-2004, 07:15 PM
JP, Evans and McGahee are our trio of a promicing future.
GO BILLS!!! :bow:

Frez
09-19-2004, 07:17 PM
Donahoe is now 17-33 with Buffalo.

FTG
09-19-2004, 07:17 PM
I can forgive mistakes. What I can't live with is waiting to long to admit them and correct them.

He bombed with Greg Williams. It would not have been as bad if he canned him after the 2003 season but he had to be stubborn and make us suffer through another season

He blew it trading for Bledsoe. I can live with that because I supported the Drew trade. What pisses me off is he was too stubborn or dumb to fix that mistake this offseason. Now we have to put up with dejavu from last yar

Michael82
09-19-2004, 07:30 PM
I can forgive mistakes. What I can't live with is waiting to long to admit them and correct them.

He bombed with Greg Williams. It would not have been as bad if he canned him after the 2003 season but he had to be stubborn and make us suffer through another season

He blew it trading for Bledsoe. I can live with that because I supported the Drew trade. What pisses me off is he was too stubborn or dumb to fix that mistake this offseason. Now we have to put up with dejavu from last yar
Who would you have taken over Bledsoe? :scratch:

Halbert
09-19-2004, 07:31 PM
If the team crashes and burns like last season I'd say maybe. But even as bad as they looked today I don't think that's going to happen. The D will keep the Bills in enough games for them to end up around .500 and TD will get another chance.

The fact is that year 1 & 2 were already known to be throw away years. Year 1 they had no chance at success after cleaning house and they were in mere survival mode. The next year was clearly only stage 2 in the rebuilding progress and we knew that before the year started. Year 3 was a big disappointment but we now know for certain that Gilbride isn't an OC anymore for a reason.

This year he's certainly on the hot seat but Wilson won't start all over again if they can at least show improvement and finish with a couple more wins than last season. Not that a .500 record is much of an accomplishment for a team with as much talent as the Bills have, but it would at least give Wilson reason for discretion considering the new coach and offensive systems.

If the Bills can retain most of their key talent on D, which they should be able to, then they can upgrade the OL, trade Henry for a prominent pass rusher, and give JP a strong team which to begin his starting career with. He’s going to have to be a hell of a sophomore but based on the impressive way he played in the preseason it’s at least possible he could be effective enough to sniff the playoffs. If I’m Wilson I give TD at least one more year to make that happen.

But if the utter ineptness that infected them last season returns Ralph may simply not be able to take it. A repeat performance of that debacle would be a very bad pattern that he might be forced to take action on. That would be a tough move after just hiring a new coach but you just can’t perform that badly in any aspect of the team to be considered competent overall.

Fortunately I don’t think they could possibly be that bad again so TD will get his chance. This season appears to be toast already, but I still believe this team is close and it’s not unreasonable to think it could happen next year.

HenryRules
09-19-2004, 07:37 PM
And replace him with who? Donahoe is still yards better than a lot of GM's. He's made some mistakes in pesonnel and it's costing us now is all.

Donahoe's biggest faults are:

1. He has not addressed the kicking position since he's been here.

2. He drafted Fat ass Mike Williams over Roy Williams.

3. Traded for Drew.

4. Hired Gregg Williams

Those four decisions have killed us ever since they were made.

One other one that I'd add to that list ... he's used 5 first rounders in his time here (Clements, Williams, McGahee, Evans, and Losman). Today, only one was doing anything positive for this team (Clements). I don't care who your coaches are ... that sort of drafting is going to get you nowhere.

FTG
09-19-2004, 07:43 PM
In the offseason I would have gone after Garcia or Brunell. Npw that it's obvious new coaching has done nothing for Drew I'd have taken anyone. Shane Matthews would not be worse than bledsoe. I don't doubt that at all.

The_Philster
09-19-2004, 07:47 PM
1. He has not addressed the kicking position since he's been here.:huh:
We had Arians his first year, dumped him and brought in Graham, replaced him with Hollis. Then, when Hollis bolted for the Giants, replaced him with Lindell.

Now, the results of these kickers have sucked, but he has brough in kickers. on the K situation, I'll fault him for the 4-year deal he gave Lindell, probably a reason he didn't dump him this offseason.

HenryRules
09-19-2004, 08:57 PM

Right now, I think we can all say agree that we overpaid for Bledsoe. Whether or not he was the best player available - overpaying a divisional foe is always a bad move and thus should be considered one.

Jayhawk
09-19-2004, 09:01 PM
Right now, I think we can all say agree that we overpaid for Bledsoe. Whether or not he was the best player available - overpaying a divisional foe is always a bad move and thus should be considered one.
I'd take Slash over him right now

ArcticWildMan
09-19-2004, 09:07 PM

Jeff Blake.

Michael82
09-19-2004, 09:11 PM
Jeff Blake.
:roflmao:

Michael82
09-19-2004, 09:12 PM
I'd take Slash over him right now
:ill:

ArcticWildMan
09-19-2004, 09:13 PM
:roflmao:

Stick with Blew Dreadful then. Blake would be an upgrade over Blew right about now.

Michael82
09-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Stick with Blew Dreadful then. Blake would be an upgrade over Blew right about now.
Blake wouldn't be able to do anything behind this piss poor offensive line right now, either. :ill: :mad:

Jayhawk
how about Gollum? couldn't be any worse.

HenryRules
I still think Drew could be good ... but we haven't assembled a team like he needs. Thus, he's not the right QB for us. Blake would be better with the horrid line that we have.

Drew needs a strong pass blocking line and we don't have that at all.

Grabbing Drew and giving him this line is similar to having Peerless Price as your main wide receiver and then getting a QB like Gannon who doesn't have a great deep arm. Unless you get one of the greats (and Drew isn't one) you have to get guys that fit your system - you can't grab a bunch of different pieces and hope a system will come out of it.

ArcticWildMan
09-19-2004, 09:19 PM
Blake wouldn't be able to do anything behind this piss poor offensive line right now, either. :ill: :mad:

At least Blake could scramble. Something Drew has zero ability for. Why do you think teams do nothing but blitz him??

Michael82
09-19-2004, 09:20 PM
At least Blake could scramble. Something Drew has zero ability for. Why do you think teams do nothing but blitz him??
Because our offensive line couldn't pick up a blitz if you paid them 1 million bucks to do it. :idunno:

RedEyE
09-19-2004, 09:21 PM
Because our offensive line couldn't pick up a blitz if you paid them 1 million bucks to do it. :idunno:

This is true. ****ing line knows it's coming and still seems suprised when Drew is on his back whincing in pain.

ArcticWildMan
09-19-2004, 09:22 PM

Thus the reason for a mobile QB. Blake had pretty good wheels. :rolleyes:

The_Philster
09-19-2004, 09:22 PM
you also have to take into account that he's always had a problem with pressure from the middle of the line

Michael82
09-19-2004, 09:23 PM
If he was so good, he would have made a team as a starter. Isn't he the Eagles 2nd or 3rd stringer? :scratch: :idunno:

RedEyE
09-19-2004, 09:24 PM

This is also true. Well, I at least agree in theory. I can't stand Blake either.

The_Philster
09-19-2004, 09:25 PM
If he was so good, he would have made a team as a starter. Isn't he the Eagles 2nd or 3rd stringer? :scratch: :idunno:
3rd

HenryRules
09-19-2004, 09:27 PM
Here's the thing ... our offense can't put up more than 10 points right now (and hasn't been able to do so for about 16 games). Could we do that with Blake (or almost any QB) and pay them 3 mil less than Drew? I think so.

Philagape
09-19-2004, 09:31 PM
When a defense blitzes and bring more pass rushers than there are blockers, it's the QB's responsibility to beat it, not the line's. That's why a large blitz is a risk, because it leaves an open receiver somewhere. It's the QB's responsibility to find that receiver fast. The problem is, when a massive blitz is launched at Drew, he just freezes and braces himself for the hit. No attempt to escape. No attempt to make a play. Maybe not never, but most of the time (he did beat it once last week, and there was the play today where he shoveled it out as he was going down but it was dropped). Defenses know this, and that's why it's so easy to plan against Buffalo.
I think our offense can do better by not sending the TE and FB on pass routes so often. Keep them put to block, and trust our supposedly talented receivers to beat DBs one on one. This should work now especially with the new rules against downfield contact.

ArcticWildMan
09-19-2004, 09:36 PM

The point is Mikey, he probably would have been better than Blew Dreadful. Blew should be retired and not even a backup. At least Blake has some skills. Blew's are pretty much gone.

HenryRules
09-19-2004, 09:40 PM

Who did Drew beat out this year? Travis Brown and JP Losman?

Blake got beat out by:
Donovan McNabb (no need to say anything about him)
Koy Detmer (a proven, solid backup QB - not saying he's a starter, but he's def. a solid backup).

Comparing the position on depth charts is not a valid comparison. For example, Collins is a backup in Oakland, but I'd say he's as good as Drew.

JJamezz
09-19-2004, 09:41 PM
:huh:
We had Arians his first year, dumped him and brought in Graham, replaced him with Hollis. Then, when Hollis bolted for the Giants, replaced him with Lindell.

Now, the results of these kickers have sucked, but he has brough in kickers. on the K situation, I'll fault him for the 4-year deal he gave Lindell, probably a reason he didn't dump him this offseason.

I agree with AWM - TD has not addressed the kicker position properly, and it bites us in the ass almost EVERY week. Bringing in kickers isn't the point - hanging onto a decent one is the issue. Graham is young and has done well, even in his stint with us, the 2-3 games or whatever it was. TD misjudged him, and let him go.

Hollis, although older, WAS our answer at kicker, at least for the next 3-4 years. This galls me to this day, and its one of TD's biggest screwups IMO.. TD lets the guy walk for what amounted to maybe 300k? TD simply does not value the kicker position as he should. Had he paid Hollis the extra cash, Hollis never goes to the Giants & gets injured, and he's still kicking for us today.

One of the arguments for Lindell was his 'strong' leg... I don't see it. He may get the ball 5 yds deeper on kickoffs than Hollis, but rarely gets a touchback, so who cares. I'll take the guy with one of the highest FG percentages in NFL history, thank you very much.

Lindell could've had 10 shots at that FG in Minnesota - it never would've happened.

Typ0
09-20-2004, 03:59 AM
The way things are going...I'm surprised RW didn't stroke out last week or today. Does anyone have him in the death pool? I don't think he's going to make it through the season.

Mr. Cynical
09-20-2004, 04:02 AM
Here's the thing ... our offense can't put up more than 10 points right now (and hasn't been able to do so for about 16 games). Could we do that with Blake (or almost any QB) and pay them 3 mil less than Drew? I think so.
Agreed.

Mr. Cynical
09-20-2004, 04:03 AM
Who did Drew beat out this year? Travis Brown and JP Losman?

Blake got beat out by:
Donovan McNabb (no need to say anything about him)
Koy Detmer (a proven, solid backup QB - not saying he's a starter, but he's def. a solid backup).

Comparing the position on depth charts is not a valid comparison. For example, Collins is a backup in Oakland, but I'd say he's as good as Drew.
Another good point.

Mr. Cynical
09-20-2004, 04:04 AM
When a defense blitzes and bring more pass rushers than there are blockers, it's the QB's responsibility to beat it, not the line's. That's why a large blitz is a risk, because it leaves an open receiver somewhere. It's the QB's responsibility to find that receiver fast. The problem is, when a massive blitz is launched at Drew, he just freezes and braces himself for the hit. No attempt to escape. No attempt to make a play. Maybe not never, but most of the time (he did beat it once last week, and there was the play today where he shoveled it out as he was going down but it was dropped). Defenses know this, and that's why it's so easy to plan against Buffalo. Excellent observation. Totally agree. Now, Drew defenders will say it is because there are no open receivers, but then that doesn't explain him not throwing it away. Instead he takes the sack, because as you put it, he freezes and braces himself for the hit.

The_Philster
09-20-2004, 05:13 AM
Excellent observation. Totally agree. Now, Drew defenders will say it is because there are no open receivers, but then that doesn't explain him not throwing it away. Instead he takes the sack, because as you put it, he freezes and braces himself for the hit.
who said that? :huh: