PDA

View Full Version : What's the point in having Willis McGahee if you don't use him?

Michael82
09-19-2004, 08:46 PM
For the last two weeks, the Bills have tried to run the ball with Travis Henry and have gotten nowhere. We have another running back who is better around the tackles and good for sweeps, but yet they continue to use Henry for that. Henry couldn't get in the endzone last week both times and couldn't get in this week. Why aren't they mixing it up? We have two very good backs and Willis McGahee has a lot of power and would be a nice change of pace back. Is it just me or does anyone else think that Willis would have ran the ball in for the touchdown today? :scratch: :feedback:

Jayhawk
09-19-2004, 08:48 PM
because TD doesn't have a bloody clue what he is doing. Someone dig up Pappa Halas or Knute Rockne please? they could do better.

Bill Brasky
09-19-2004, 08:49 PM
For the last two weeks, the Bills have tried to run the ball with Travis Henry and have gotten nowhere. We have another running back who is better around the tackles and good for sweeps, but yet they continue to use Henry for that. Henry couldn't get in the endzone last week both times and couldn't get in this week. Why aren't they mixing it up? We have two very good backs and Willis McGahee has a lot of power and would be a nice change of pace back. Is it just me or does anyone else think that Willis would have ran the ball in for the touchdown today? :scratch: :feedback:

I don't know if he would have gotten it in, but I am a little surprised/dissapointed they haven't been using him much. :idunno:

ryjam282
09-19-2004, 08:50 PM
I think he could have punched it in. I mean what happened to the old fashioned goalline leap. Payton and Emmitt used to do it so much and it was so effective. Henry could have gotten in by using that on his play but he tried to push over 2000 pounds forward. That isn't going to happen. Willis just has a nose for the goalline and IMO would have found a way to get it in. Not to mention, he is a superb blocker and picks up blitzes well. Henry sucks at it. He got Drew killed 2 times that I can remember and Willis can at least chop the blitzer down.......Willis will be our guy. He looked good when he was in there too.

Mad Bomber
09-19-2004, 08:52 PM
I agree, Mikey. There was a lot of talk before the season of the one-two punch we could have with TH and WM, but it just hasn't materialized so far. We're not utilizing our personnel to the greatest advantage. TH on sweeps? :puke:

Jayhawk
09-19-2004, 08:52 PM
yeah but let's not pass Henry off as a dud yet. If he has one more bad game, then I will

DraftBoy
09-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Take this a bit further and explain why the hell neither Willis nor Evans gets anywhere near the PT some of these other bums get. Id rather dump Reed, Bledsoe, and Henry and go with: Evans, Losman, McGahee and S. Williams as the new offense. Atleast they seem to have the ability to make big plays happen.

Coach Tuesday
09-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Should've taken Steinbach with that pick. Come to think of it, should've taken Roy Williams over Mike Williams. Donahoe is hanging himself by his own batard, or whatever the saying is...

Michael82
09-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Should've taken Steinbach with that pick. Come to think of it, should've taken Roy Williams over Mike Williams. Donahoe is hanging himself by his own batard, or whatever the saying is...
Not Roy Williams. We couldn't afford to have a safety with the #4 pick. We should've drafted McKinnie. :mad:

Jayhawk
09-19-2004, 09:04 PM
and by the way, I do know that TD doesn't dictate the coaching decisoions.

The_Philster
Not Roy Williams. We couldn't afford to have a safety with the #4 pick. We should've drafted McKinnie. :mad:
He didn't want to play in Buffalo :rolleyes:

Michael82

Jim Kelly didn't want to either. :rolleyes:

ArcticWildMan
09-19-2004, 09:05 PM

Roy Williams is a stud. His team (Dallas) is better because of him.

How many games have we lost already this year due to lack of a solid safety?

We didn't need Williams (or McKinnie). Marcus Price is better than either one.

HenryRules
09-19-2004, 09:07 PM

With 6-10 teams ever year, who will? If Donahoe didn't feel that Williams was the 4th best player and would have been available later, he should have traded down and grabbed him (even if he didn't get a pick with it - which would be unbelievable - we would have saved cash on his contract). The fact that Donahoe took Williams at #4 removes the excuse of McKinnie not wanting to play here.

Did the Chargers get hurt because Eli didn't want to play there? That's how a good GM handles the situation.

The_Philster
09-19-2004, 09:08 PM
Jim Kelly didn't want to either. :rolleyes:
refresh my memory...was our GM at that time saying that he simply would stay away from people who didn't want to be here...like TD did?

HenryRules
09-19-2004, 09:09 PM
refresh my memory...was our GM at that time saying that he simply would stay away from people who didn't want to be here...like TD did?

TD can say that all he wants ... it doesn't mean that Williams was a wise pick at #4.

Michael82
09-19-2004, 09:10 PM
No.

Michael82
09-19-2004, 09:10 PM
TD can say that all he wants ... it doesn't mean that Williams was a wise pick at #4.
EXACTLY! So far Williams is a big FAT BUST! :mad:

HenryRules
09-19-2004, 09:12 PM
EXACTLY! So far Williams is a big FAT BUST! :mad:

Especially when you consider the talent in that draft.

Think of some of the other first rounders in that draft (all at spots that we have holes): Roy Williams, Ed Reed, Dwight Freeney.

Michael82
09-19-2004, 09:15 PM

Think of some of the other first rounders in that draft (all at spots that we have holes): Roy Williams, Ed Reed, Dwight Freeney.
Dwight Freeney. :sadwalk:

ArcticWildMan
09-19-2004, 09:17 PM

Ed Reed was a reach at #4, but Roy Williams was not. Freeney was a gamble due to his small size and it paid off for the Colts.

I was so pissed when TD passed on Roy Williams. :mad:

HenryRules
09-19-2004, 09:19 PM
Dwight Freeney. :sadwalk:

That draft was absolutely filled with talent. While I don't expect a perfect draft - imagine if we had done something like this: trade our first to the Colts for their first and second.

Our net for the day? Freeney, Reed, and LeCharles Bentley.

ArcticWildMan
09-19-2004, 09:20 PM
That draft was absolutely filled with talent. While I don't expect a perfect draft - imagine if we had done something like this: trade our first to the Colts for their first and second.

Our net for the day? Freeney, Reed, and LeCharles Bentley.

:wail: Bentley was my 2nd round pick in my fanatsy draft.

Michael82
09-19-2004, 09:22 PM
:wail: Bentley was my 2nd round pick in my fanatsy draft.
what?!? Are you high? :eek: :snicker:

jbisset
09-19-2004, 09:23 PM

McGagee has not yet showed he is a starting NFL RB...He still does not have the burst of speed needed for the NFL. I do not know if he will have it next year. Travis Henry is a TOP NFL RB. The issue is NOT him. Try the o-line, no passing game and a defense that gives up the big pass and needs a big time rushing DE.

Uncle Jesse
09-19-2004, 09:27 PM
Willis did very well in the Scrimage and preseason on the goaline situations. He scored pretty much everytime he was given the ball there. Although it was just a scrimage and preseason too. But i still would have given him the ball in the 4th and goal not Henry.

If you get a mobile QB like Vick or McNabb you could have them roll left or right with a few recivers there and then either throw it or run it. Ive seen those teams do it all the time and it works. Or even a playaction like Manning did from short today and the TE was wide open in the endzone. Oh well theres alot you could have done insted of running right at those fatass d linemen.

HenryRules
09-19-2004, 09:35 PM
Something to keep in mind ... TD's justification for giving up this year's second and fifth to swap next year's first for Dallas' first this year was that enabled us to have an extra year of developing Losman and that was the cost of using next year's first this year.

Now, with the McGahee pick ... if we trade one of Henry/McGahee for a first next year (a reasonable trade), we'll have basically used our pick two years later than originally and have essentially the same lineup elsewhere. Now, if a 2nd and 5th are the cost of moving a pick up one year, what's the cost of moving a pick up 2 years and why didn't we do that?

ArcticWildMan
09-19-2004, 09:38 PM
what?!? Are you high? :eek: :snicker:

Read the scouting reports from back then Mike. He was rated the best C in the draft. Had a mean streak a mile wide. Just what we need. The Tackle turned center project called Trey Teague, is a fricking joke.

He's playing Guard right now. That says something about his ability to play the line.

Michael82
09-19-2004, 09:45 PM
Read the scouting reports from back then Mike. He was rated the best C in the draft. Had a mean streak a mile wide. Just what we need. The Tackle turned center project called Trey Teague, is a fricking joke.

He's playing Guard right now. That says something about his ability to play the line.
I was talking about you picking him up in the 2nd round. Why would you take a Guard in a fantasy football team? :idunno:

ArcticWildMan
09-19-2004, 09:47 PM
I was talking about you picking him up in the 2nd round. Why would you take a Guard in a fantasy football team? :idunno:

DO YOU READ WHAT PEOPLE POST BEFORE YOU RELPY???

I said FANTASY DRAFT. What part of FANTASY DRAFT don't you comprehend? :shakeno:

STAMPY
09-19-2004, 09:58 PM
AWM it's not worth explaining :snicker:

HenryRules
09-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Ed Reed was a reach at #4, but Roy Williams was not. Freeney was a gamble due to his small size and it paid off for the Colts.

I was so pissed when TD passed on Roy Williams. :mad:

I wasn't saying we had to pick those guys at 4. Just talking about some of the talent that was available if we wanted to move down.

ArcticWildMan
09-19-2004, 10:07 PM
I wasn't saying we had to pick those guys at 4. Just talking about some of the talent that was available if we wanted to move down.

I know. I was explaining for Mikey's sake. Freeney was projected mid to late 1st round. 4th pick would have been a major reach at the time (hindsight says he would have been worth it however!!)

kgun12
09-19-2004, 10:12 PM
How about this folks, McGaHee is not 100% yet. That is way he isn't playing. Does ANYBODY remember E. James season last year. He had a below average season by NFL standards. Why? because he was in his second year atfer his knee operation. What year is McGaHee in as far as rehab. So why take a chance on doing more damage to that knee when you have Henry?

BTW Henry IS NOT the problem! We have new coach, new coorodination, 2 new linemen, and a washed up QB. What the hell did you expect this year. The only reliable player besides Moulds (having trouble holding on to the ball) and Herny. The line isn't giving Stonewall Bledsoe enough time to wait and wait for the wide open reciever way down the field and defenses are keying on the run.

We have a back that has had back to back 1400 plus yard seasons (last year with a brokien leg and you all are ready to run him out of town afte 2 games, pit-if-ful :sad:

We are going to be lucky to win 6 games this year. After the preseason I excepted that fact. The sooner you guys do the more you will enjoy the power and talent of Henry.

ArcticWildMan
09-19-2004, 10:16 PM
How about this folks, McGaHee is not 100% yet. That is way he isn't playing. Does ANYBODY remember E. James season last year. He had a below average season by NFL standards. Why? because he was in his second year atfer his knee operation. What year is McGaHee in as far as rehab. So why take a chance on doing more damage to that knee when you have Henry?

BTW Henry IS NOT the problem! We have new coach, new coorodination, 2 new linemen, and a washed up QB. What the hell did you expect this year. The only reliable player besides Moulds (having trouble holding on to the ball) and Herny. The line isn't giving Stonewall Bledsoe enough time to wait and wait for the wide open reciever way down the field and defenses are keying on the run.

We have a back that has had back to back 1400 plus yard seasons (last year with a brokien leg and you all are ready to run him out of town afte 2 games, pit-if-ful :sad:

We are going to be lucky to win 6 games this year. After the preseason I excepted that fact. The sooner you guys do the more you will enjoy the power and talent of Henry.

Gotta agree with ya man. :up:

I'm just gonna watch and see who our future stars are going to be and who plays well on a consistant basis. This season is in the bag already.

colin
09-19-2004, 10:20 PM
bledsoe is doing bad, our line is doing worse, moulds and the wr crew is piss, but if could run the ball 5% better we would be 2-0. 1st and short 3 times, an average runnign team gets in 2 times at least.

henry gets bottled up too easily, mcgahee needs at leat 10-15 snaps a game, as a blocker and reciever alone he would contribute more than Henry at this point.

i say we dont have a better option at qb, but we do at rb, that is to play both our guys and especially Willis when going off tackle and short yardage, or passing.

GB lost to chicago in greenbay, the pats and gets are destroying, the titans are struggling, ravens got spanked by the freakin browns, the common theme is run and score gives you a great chance to win.

Michael82
09-21-2004, 12:34 PM
DO YOU READ WHAT PEOPLE POST BEFORE YOU RELPY???

I said FANTASY DRAFT. What part of FANTASY DRAFT don't you comprehend? :shakeno:
Well, I've never heard of a fantasy DRAFT before...other than a fantasy football team draft. So, STFU! :mad:

jbisset
09-22-2004, 09:17 AM
Willis did very well in the Scrimage and preseason on the goaline situations. He scored pretty much everytime he was given the ball there. Although it was just a scrimage and preseason too. But i still would have given him the ball in the 4th and goal not Henry.

If you get a mobile QB like Vick or McNabb you could have them roll left or right with a few recivers there and then either throw it or run it. Ive seen those teams do it all the time and it works. Or even a playaction like Manning did from short today and the TE was wide open in the endzone. Oh well theres alot you could have done insted of running right at those fatass d linemen.

When we got Bledsoe we knew he could not move. This is not something new or something that Bledsoe can change. Management should have an oline in place to give him time. Bledsoe is not one of the greatest QB; however, we should be showing off his positive and hiding (protecting) his negatives. Without a great (or good) oline we can not do this.

Over the years TH has proven he can score. Maybe Willis would have score. However, he has not proven himself can do that in the NFL and I do not believe he is 100%. Maybe our OLINE needs to do a better job blocking. I am starting to question this great Oline coach. If he does not have the skill players, he should have addressed the issue in the off season.