X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • finsrclowns
    • Apr 2004

What if TD had said to Parcells...

We'll give you Travis Henry to move up to 23rd in this year's draft straight up?

I realize hindsight is 20/20, but if we had Justin Smiley at LG and still had next year's #1, which may well be the #1 overall pick the way things are going, wouldn't that have been a way better deal than we got? Henry's been a productive back but like Bledsoe he has flaws- fumbling, receiving, blitz pickup, goal line. I'd be pretty happy right now starting McGahee with Shaud Williams as the backup. I know we didn't really know about Mcgahee at draft time so it would have been a risky move on TD's part, but no riskier than drafting him in the first place. If Henry doesn't pick it up soon he won't generate even a late first in next year's draft.
    finsrclowns
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by finsrclowns
    We'll give you Travis Henry to move up to 23rd in this year's draft straight up?

I realize hindsight is 20/20, but if we had Justin Smiley at LG and still had next year's #1, which may well be the #1 overall pick the way things are going, wouldn't that have been a way better deal than we got? Henry's been a productive back but like Bledsoe he has flaws- fumbling, receiving, blitz pickup, goal line. I'd be pretty happy right now starting McGahee with Shaud Williams as the backup. I know we didn't really know about Mcgahee at draft time so it would have been a risky move on TD's part, but no riskier than drafting him in the first place. If Henry doesn't pick it up soon he won't generate even a late first in next year's draft.
    until McGahee blow out his knee...then you'd be screaming like everybody else for having traded away Henry when McGahee's knee had yet to be proven...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• finsrclowns
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Ebenezer
      until McGahee blow out his knee...then you'd be screaming like everybody else for having traded away Henry when McGahee's knee had yet to be proven...
      True but my point is if you were thinking along those lines you never would have drafted him. When they drafted him his knee was hamburger and Eric Steinbach was sitting on the board. At least by draft day the guy had made great progress- I'd have to say relying on him for this year was a lot less risky than drafting him. My bottom line? If you have the guts to spend a first on him because you're confident he'll be a top 5 player, why be a wuss and wait and see? Now we're staring at GIVING a top 5 player to Dallas.
      finsrclowns

Comment

• R. Rich
        • Apr 2003

I don't do well with the "what ifs". One of the guys I really liked going into the draft was Shawn Andrews, who Philly took with their 1st round pick. I saw him in their preseason game against the Ravens and this kid just dominated up front! He looked like a sure-fire Pro Bowl candidate. Next thing I know, he gets injured and is out for the year.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Parcells woudlv'e been able to make Henry rush for 150 ypg and we would've said TD made a mistake.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
            Maybe?
            • Oct 2003

At this point I'd make the trade to improve the oline next year. Although....given TD's track record with olineman players....maybe not.

Comment

• Typ0
              honey pie
              • Jul 2002

I don't understand all of this about the draft pick...we traded a pick and we got a QB. We needed a QB. We got one last year not this year. What's the problem?

Comment

• finsrclowns
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Typ0
                I don't understand all of this about the draft pick...we traded a pick and we got a QB. We needed a QB. We got one last year not this year. What's the problem?
                Nothing as long as Losman is a young Brett Favre. He'd better be because he'll likely have cost a 2nd, 5th and top 5 pick next year. And also hope he doesn't need an OL to succeed because this bottom 5 group likely gets WORSE next year with the loss of Jennings.

Nothing against Losman but I would have kept the picks, drafted Smiley in the 2nd and taken Matt Schaub in the 3rd. Preseason is preseason but Schaub looked damn good in the game I watched and he had good #'s in college. I hope I'm wrong.
                finsrclowns

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                  Maybe?
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by finsrclowns
                  Nothing as long as Losman is a young Brett Favre. He'd better be because he'll likely have cost a 2nd, 5th and top 5 pick next year. And also hope he doesn't need an OL to succeed because this bottom 5 group likely gets WORSE next year with the loss of Jennings.

Nothing against Losman but I would have kept the picks, drafted Smiley in the 2nd and taken Matt Schaub in the 3rd. Preseason is preseason but Schaub looked damn good in the game I watched and he had good #'s in college. I hope I'm wrong.
                  That's just it. People are forgetting he didn't just cost us our #1 next year. He also cost us our #2 and #5 this year. That #2 could have easily been our new center, Jake Grove, who is starting for TB right now. He was still on the board when Dallas used our pick at #43 spot. So while I'm fine with taking a chance on JP, people need to realize the stakes are higher than just that #1 pick next year.

Comment

• R. Rich
                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
                    That's just it. People are forgetting he didn't just cost us our #1 next year. He also cost us our #2 and #5 this year. That #2 could have easily been our new center, Jake Grove, who is starting for TB right now. He was still on the board when Dallas used our pick at #43 spot. So while I'm fine with taking a chance on JP, people need to realize the stakes are higher than just that #1 pick next year.
                    When was Grove traded to TB? I thought he was Adam Treu's backup in Oakland.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

If only that time-travel machine was working- - then even I could be a GM with a 16-0 team each year.....

Seriously- you going to give up a Pro-Bowl player who ran for 2600 yards and over 20 TDs in 2 seasons for the rights to draft an unproven OL man? And this is not Robert Gallery we are talking about- That's nuts.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                        short bus extraordinaire
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0

we've given up 2 first rounders for 2 QB's.the problem is that we don't have anybody to block for them.we've spent a 1st,2nd,and 4th rounder on WR's in the last couple years.one of those picks should have been an OL.
                        Originally posted by yordad
                        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                          short bus extraordinaire
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical

i agree.grove would have been a mainstay for years.
                          Originally posted by yordad
                          Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• finsrclowns
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                            If only that time-travel machine was working- - then even I could be a GM with a 16-0 team each year.....

Seriously- you going to give up a Pro-Bowl player who ran for 2600 yards and over 20 TDs in 2 seasons for the rights to draft an unproven OL man? And this is not Robert Gallery we are talking about- That's nuts.
                            I don't have many ZB's but I'll bet you what I have that barring injury to either Then or WM, THen WILL be traded for a draft pick after the season- and that what they get for him will be a fraction of what they paid to move up and draft Losman. This team has too many holes to afford 2 feature backs long term.
                            finsrclowns

Comment

• Marvelous
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
                              we've given up 2 first rounders for 2 QB's.the problem is that we don't have anybody to block for them.we've spent a 1st,2nd,and 4th rounder on WR's in the last couple years.one of those picks should have been an OL.
                              The game i saw yesterday showed Drew holding the ball too long. The line gave him time at times but he failed to take advantage. Kinda like Rob, Drew Don't know what dto do when they send the house.. it's sad very unfortunate for us..
                              GO BILLS!!! NE
                              Magical Trevor

Comment

Working...
                              X