• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Canadian'eh!
    • Mar 2004

Henry IS overrated.

At least hear me out.

I honestly believe Travis is overrated. At least by Bills fans.

Look at the numbers.

44 attempts 142 yards 3.2 yards per carry 0 Td's

not very impressive. Is it the oline? Partly. is it him? partly.

The thing is, Henry gets a lot of tough yards but no easy ones. He NEVER breaks a huge run. he's a useful guy to have... but he had quite a few attempts with all our passing problems last year and the D's weere keying on the passing game in 02. Now he has shown an inability on 3rd or 4th and 1. This week he tripped but was running into a wall anyway... no moves..no jump... all he can seem to do is run straight ahead and break a few tackles. powerful legs, but not enough to move the whole pile.

The problem i have is that he is not a home run hitter. no one FEARS him like they do Portis, Holmes or Lewis. Because they know that he's not breaking off a game changing 80 yard run. LB's can run him down easily from behind. he's a nice workhorse type... but is he really a weapon on the scale of LT? no way. He's a very average reciever as well. he has improved somewhat but he's isn't what i call a big threat that way either.

there are a ton of guys who can get 3.2/carry. how are we supposed to get a 1st rounder for 1? we can't. unles someone is VERY desperate. but teams are finding players like Johnson, Suggs and Barlow all over the place... the market isn't there.

Now, i'm not saying that he's not an above average or good back... because he is.... But i honeslty don't think the Superstar treatment we give him is not really warranted. TD knows this.. that's why we have McGahee. he has the POTENTIAL, even if he isn't there yet.

I really think we need to give Willis some Drives of his own in the next few games and for the love of god put him in on goaline.... that's his bread and butter.

Henry is the starter but give willis a chance to get in a rythme... if it wasn't for Villarial's week 1 penalty, he was aboutt o win that game for us.

I like henry but i question if he's a top 0 back in the NFL. very good... not great....

you may commence tearing me to shreds.
    Last edited by Canadian'eh!; 09-20-2004, 09:16 PM.
  • london59
    • Dec 2003

Don't worry, Henry will be traded in the offseason. That way we can get our first round pick back ala Peerless Price. C'mon, you know it is gonna happen. Yes you do! It will happen! Just watch and see!

Comment

• juice
      • Aug 2003

Henry's trade value has already peaked

We will be lucky to get a Second Rd pick for Henry, and thats only if he doesn't get injured, With an injury we could get stuck with him with no Trade Value.. Undersized, Cant pick up the Blitz, Fumble and injury Prone, Not a big play threat.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
        • Jul 2002

Yep, he's one dimentional.

Comment

• BAM
          • Sep 2003

he's been my favorite player on the team the last few years... him and Moulds.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
            • May 2003

The main thing that people see in Henry is his guts. They see him playing with bruised ribs and a broken leg and they love that. Who doesn't. The guy becomes everything they want in a football player. The thing that most fail to realize is that although he is a tough runner, he doesn't have good speed, he can't catch, his only move is to try to run a guy over, he cannot block for s, and he is a head case. It is amazing to me that after two games there are so many people that are tearing him apart.
            Last edited by TheGhostofJimKelly; 09-20-2004, 09:34 PM.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by BAM
              he's been my favorite player on the team the last few years... him and Moulds.

Henry is a likeable guy (aside from his reacting publically to the attention Willis gets... i don't blame him for being upset but do it in private)

Everyone likes the undersized blue-collar guy who plays with heart... i LIKE him. I really do... but i'm trying to be realistic is all.

Comment

• Philagape
                WIN NOW
                • Jul 2002

There is no way a team gives us a first-rounder for him
                "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
                  The main thing that people see in Henry is his guts. They see him playing with bruised ribs and a broken leg and they love that. Who doesn't. The guy becomes everything they want in a football player. The thing that most fail to realize is that although he is a tough runner, but he doesn't have good speed, he can't catch, his only move is to try to run a guy over, he cannot block for s, and he is a head case. It is amazing to me that after two games there are so many people that are tearing him apart.
                  Truthfully, I knew a lot of this before... I have been questioing wether we could get a 1st for him since the issue came up. but i never said anything because of his popularity i didn't want to get lynched. these last 2 games really confirmed my beliefs to me.

5 carries over 20 yards last year. most of the top guys had 10-15

Comment

• HenryRules
                    • Jul 2002

Of course Henry doesn't break big plays ... he never gets big enough holes to break big ones. Very few RBs are talented enough to break off big plays without being able to get 5 yards downfield before contact (Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Thurman Thomas were guys that could). Henry is solid (I've said before I think he's about the 10th best back in the league) and could very well be this era's Curtis Martin (not a bad thought IMO).

But if you're getting hit by DL or don't have effective lead blocks on the LB's, you're not going to break big ones unless you're a HOF RB.

We'll be lucky to get a first for him though ... in this era, RB's just don't have that much demand. I really don't understand the McGahee trade at all.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                      • Aug 2004

I've been saying this for the last year and kept getting ripped apart repeatedly for my opinion on Henry.

There are many RB's already out there like Henry and there will be many more in the years to come.

Henry has too many limitations to be considered a Top RB.

It's looking like most of Henry's success the last two years were from the defenses keying in on the pass. Now that they are keying in on the run he can't get the job done as good.

We should've traded Henry this offseason and probably could've scored a middle 1st round pick for him. Unless we find a very desperate team next year we won't get anywhere close to that.

Comment

• colin
                        Drew's my hero!
                        • Jul 2002

henry benefitted from us passing all the time, putting safeties back and linebackers out a bit more, and from good run blocking.

now that ruben is gone and mike w is not playing well, and our piss poor passing, henry looks just like he did in his first year, tough but not super good.

i still think he might have a big game against a bad tackling team, or if we pass early and get some play from out line.

Comment

• SStudawgg
                          • Aug 2004

Without the threat of a long pass it allows the opposing defence to crowd the box. With an OLine that is so offensive the guy doesn't stand a chance !!! IMO
                          "Adversity is an opportunity for heroism."

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender."

Marv Levy

Reporter:
                          "What do you think of your team's execution?"

Coach:
                          "I'm all for it !!"

Comment

• Ebenezer
                            Give me a minute...
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsFever21
                            I've been saying this for the last year and kept getting ripped apart repeatedly for my opinion on Henry.

There are many RB's already out there like Henry and there will be many more in the years to come.

Henry has too many limitations to be considered a Top RB.

It's looking like most of Henry's success the last two years were from the defenses keying in on the pass. Now that they are keying in on the run he can't get the job done as good.

We should've traded Henry this offseason and probably could've scored a middle 1st round pick for him. Unless we find a very desperate team next year we won't get anywhere close to that.
                            I love how you contradict yourself in your own post...if I am reading it right RBs like Henry are a dime a dozen. NE gave up a 2nd rounder for Corey Dillon. Is Henry better than Dillon? According to your logic, no! Then there was no way that TH is worth a first. Also, in another post you said that we should trade TH and a 2nd back to Dallas and get our first rounder back. Again, if RBs like Henry are a dime a dozen then how do you justify your previous post. Sorry. Right now, Henry is probably worth a second, if somebody wants him. That is why McGahee is not in the game at the goal line...that is why McGahee got 2 touches in Oakland...that is why TH will still be the feature back all year...they HAVE to get as much out of him this season to justify trading him for WHATEVER they can get. Which at this point in time...would probably be in a package, giving up more picks, to TRY to "score" (God, I hate that term) a first rounder. And at best that might happen...

to the original point...80% of the problem is the line...20% is Henry.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                              My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                              • Apr 2004

I did a little extra research looking for answers to this. The question is why can't Henry seem to get his game going this year? I mean, that is why we are questioning his abilities, right? He did rush for 1300 yards two years in a row.
                              I looked at the play-by-play to help me write a stupid article for about.com
                              Anyway, what I found is something that I also noticed during the game. Henry was effective running outside the tackles and catching passes. Had Tom Clements kept on pounding the ball behind a pulling guard, we could have seen a very different game. But, they didn't take what Oakland was giving them.
                              I tallied it this way: off tackle and end runs in one category (OTE), runs up the middle in another, and short passes in another.
                              In the first half Henry ran the ball OTE 8 times for 32 yards, caught 2 passes for 10 yards, and ran up the middle 2 times for -2 yards. So, their half-time adjustment was to call 4 plays OTE in the second half compared to 7 plays up the middle. What?!? His 4 carries OTE were good for 21 yards and his 7 carries up the middle were good for 17 yards. Where is the logic in that? I realize you have to switch it up a little, but I'm just some schmuck on a computer. Am I wrong in assuming that one would probably benefit in avoiding the blitzing linebackers clogging the middle by running off tackle or around the end?

Comment

Working...
                              X