Lost in all of the complaining, why wasn't it a safety?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Lost in all of the complaining, why wasn't it a safety?

The refs clearly blew this call, and nobody seems to care. I do. It would've made the game 10-5, and we would've gotten the ball with great field position and a ton of momentum. Instead, the refs blew it, with the explanation that the holding penalty started on the one yard line. Anyone watching that game could clearly see that the lineman hauled Schoebel (I think it was him) down in the endzone. What a crap call, and I'm pissed about it. It may have cost us the game. I know the Bills didn't play well, but that was a huge missed call, and I think it deflated Buffalo.

Any thoughts? Am I way off, or do you guys see it this way too?
  • Bulldog
    Top Dog
    • Jan 2003

That call was complete crap. Schoebel pretty much got tackled in the end zone. I really don't care where the holding started, had Oaklands o-lineman not tackled Schoebel, it would have been a safety. I am not willing to go as far as saying it cost Buffalo the game, but it sure didn't help any.
    I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• Pride
      • Jul 2002

The refs actually got this correct. Not to my liking, but it was correct.

Penalties occur the momen they are illegal, not for the continuation of the play.

So, in this instance, since shoebel was held immediately at the snap, he wasnt in the endzone when the penalty occurred. Of course, the play and penalty continued into the endzone, but the beginning of the infraction was not in the endzone.

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Pride
        The refs actually got this correct. Not to my liking, but it was correct.

Penalties occur the momen they are illegal, not for the continuation of the play.

So, in this instance, since shoebel was held immediately at the snap, he wasnt in the endzone when the penalty occurred. Of course, the play and penalty continued into the endzone, but the beginning of the infraction was not in the endzone.
        sadly, you are correct...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• don137
          • Jul 2002

I think it is a judgement call. IMO he was being blocked legally at the one and the hold did not occur until they were in the endzone. IMO it was a bad call but that is not why we lost...

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

I don't think he was held until he was at the goal-line, holding doesn't occur until Schoebel gets outside of the lineman, at which point he pretty much clotheslined him and tackled him down. I didn't see holding until he got past the goal line. I wish I could see a replay.

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

I agree. It was a safety. They actually had the same kind of play in the Browns/Cowboys game and it was ruled a safety for the Cowboys. But not for us.... Plus, there were other questionable calls and no-calls. I don't care what anyone says, there's no way the Raiders could pick up every single one of our blitzes. There was some definite holding going on. However, like has been said before...good teams find a way to overcome these problems and still find a way to win.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

how many more days are we going to mentally masturbate this to death...fine...the NFL says it was a safety 13-12...happy now?? there are bigger fish to fry with this team...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Patrick76777
                  • Jul 2002

The thing is, it seems that the refs in the NFL hate awarding safeties. Ever notice on the running plays, if the back is anywhere near the goal line the refs will say he got out of the endzone. Same on this play, it was close, could have really gone either way.
                  Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                    how many more days are we going to mentally masturbate this to death...fine...the NFL says it was a safety 13-12...happy now?? there are bigger fish to fry with this team...
                    if we got a safety...we could have gone for 2 when we got that TD....we make that...game tied 13-13...OT.

Anymore thoughts?

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Patrick76777
                      The thing is, it seems that the refs in the NFL hate awarding safeties. Ever notice on the running plays, if the back is anywhere near the goal line the refs will say he got out of the endzone. Same on this play, it was close, could have really gone either way.
                      The EXACT same play happened in the Browns/Cowboys game and they were awarded the safety.

Comment

• Patrick76777
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                        if we got a safety...we could have gone for 2 when we got that TD....we make that...game tied 13-13...OT.

Anymore thoughts?

And if we would have gone for the FG on 4th and 1, that last TD ties it.
                        Resign our own guys!

Comment

• BAM
                          • Sep 2003

Too many what if's. The Bills lost this game straight up.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Ebenezer

We aren't allowed to question calls here? Wasn't aware of that rule.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                              Give me a minute...
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BAM
                              Too many what if's. The Bills lost this game straight up.
                              thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X