Did the lack of a blocking TE cost us both games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Canadian'eh!
    • Mar 2004

Did the lack of a blocking TE cost us both games?

OK... i may be stretching here a bit.

But rememebr when we were thinking of signing Breuner (a great blocker) or Roland Williams... but TD waited way too long to make the move and lost them to other teams?

well that left us with 3 guys (minus Peters who could block but i guess isn't ready) in Campbell, Euhus and Neufeld who are descent pass catchers but not great blockers.

2 weeks we lose by 3 and can't convert on the goaline for whatever reason. this week Euhus got shoved back into Henry and may have kept him out of the endzone.

would that happen to Breuner? doubtful. and let's face it... ahveing a bettter blocking TE in there to help max protect for pasing could only help... when you are losing games by 3...this seems like the kind of thing that can make a difference.

any thoughts?
  • LABillzFan
    • Sep 2003

You obviously haven't been paying attention.

We lost both games because Drew had a crucial holding call on our final game-ending drive against the Jaguars when Willis picked up a big first down, and again when Drew couldn't punch the ball in on fourth-and-one against the Raiders. We lost because Drew had two holding penalties on great kick returns, and because Drew ran out of bounds and then was first to touch a dead ball on the half foot line, which would have pinned the Raiders deep.

DREW is the reason we are 0-2. Not tight-ends. Not CBs who can't knock down fourth and 15 bombs. It's Drew. All Drew. If some people were TV shows, they'd be called Drewvision. 24/7 blame on Drew regardless of whether he is really to blame.

Tight ends, indeed. Hmph.

(Sorry, man. Just being a bit sarcastic.)
    Good beef jerkey could possibly be the perfect food.

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by LABillzFan

We lost both games because Drew had a crucial holding call on our final game-ending drive against the Jaguars when Willis picked up a big first down, and again when Drew couldn't punch the ball in on fourth-and-one against the Raiders. We lost because Drew had two holding penalties on great kick returns, and because Drew ran out of bounds and then was first to touch a dead ball on the half foot line, which would have pinned the Raiders deep.

DREW is the reason we are 0-2. Not tight-ends. Not CBs who can't knock down fourth and 15 bombs. It's Drew. All Drew. If some people were TV shows, they'd be called Drewvision. 24/7 blame on Drew regardless of whether he is really to blame.

That was beautiful!

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
        • Mar 2004

Sorry a few typos.... i meant to say:

OK... i may be stretching here a bit.

But rememebr when we were thinking of signing someone other than Drew (a great blocker) or Drew... but TD waited way too long to make the move and lost them to other teams?

well that left us with 3 guys (minus Drew who could block but i guess isn't ready) in Drew, Drew and Drew who are descent pass catchers but not great blockers.

2 weeks we lose by 3 and can't convert on the goaline for whatever reason. this week Drew got shoved back into Drew and may have kept him out of the endzone.

would that happen to anyone but Drew? doubtful. and let's face it... ahveing a bettter blocking TE in there to help max protect for pasing could only help... when you are losing games by 3...this seems like the kind of thing that can make a difference.

any thoughts?

Comment

• Bill Brasky
          Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
          • Jan 2004

I can tell you this much... if you don't have TE blocking don't expect to bring a mobile QB in here and have him be able to scramble outside of a rushing DE to either run up field or create more time to pass... he'd have to scramble up the middle the majority of the time, and unless he's as athletic as Michael Vick it won't be a major benefit... which is why even if we did put Losman in there is still a lot of work to be done with this line if they want to take full advantage of JP's ability.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

All I know, is for a "smashmouth running" team, we sure look like a bunch of pussies out there. Can't punch it in on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and goal from the 1 in week 1, and can't do it on 4th and 1 this past week.

As for blocking TE's, I don't know if that makes a difference or not, since none of our lineman seem to be able to block anyways, so unless the blocking TE can play guard, tackle and TE all at once, it is useless to have one.

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
              All I know, is for a "smashmouth running" team, we sure look like a bunch of pussies out there. Can't punch it in on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and goal from the 1 in week 1, and can't do it on 4th and 1 this past week.

As for blocking TE's, I don't know if that makes a difference or not, since none of our lineman seem to be able to block anyways, so unless the blocking TE can play guard, tackle and TE all at once, it is useless to have one.
              Sign Jason Peters from the practice squad and put him in as a OL?

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral

I wouldnt say useless... i think it could help... any improvement in any place is help.

I say bring in Peters.... teach him to block and use him in short yardage as a blocker. Neufeld is not contributing anythin that Campbell and Euhus can't and i don't care what level he is at, Peters could at least block better.

Comment

• finsrclowns
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Canadian'eh!
                  I wouldnt say useless... i think it could help... any improvement in any place is help.

I say bring in Peters.... teach him to block and use him in short yardage as a blocker.
                  Peters is up to page three of the playbook- they hope to have him up to speed by next September.
                  finsrclowns

Comment

• finsrclowns
                    • Apr 2004

Drew ran out of bounds and then was first to touch a dead ball on the half foot line, which would have pinned the Raiders deep.
                    Actually that play worked in our favor- on the next play our future QB Moorman completed a pass for a 1st down.

but I get your point...
                    finsrclowns

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by finsrclowns
                      Peters is up to page three of the playbook- they hope to have him up to speed by next September.

do you know this? seriously,... you are calling a guy stupid that is based ont he specualtion of a stupid test score. that test doesn't equal success in the nfl.

Comment

• The_Philster
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                        Sign Jason Peters from the practice squad and put him in as a OL?
                        blocking is the weakness in his game...not his strength.
                        The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

Working...
                        X