PDA

View Full Version : My formula for beating NE

finsrclowns
09-21-2004, 01:31 PM
1) Stop them on the first drive. NE has had phenomenal success scoring first and particularly using their spread offense to open a game. We need to play the receivers tight and make Brady throw downfield. He can do this but it's not his strength. I think our run D can stuff Dillon, but only if we play tight enough on their receivers to force Brady into more difficult throws. We might give up a big play but the alternative is to be bled to death slowly.

2) Score a TD on OUR first drive. I know that's easier said than done, but we need/want to ball control them and the only chance of doing this is with the lead. I wouldn't mind seeing US come out in a spread, no huddle offense. This accomplishes 2 things: it keeps them from substituting and it gives Henry more room to run. Henry is a between the tackles guy but he runs best when he has space to move which you have with 3 WR's. He did most of his best running in '02 with 3 WR sets.

3) Start Evans. How, besides decent pass protection, do you beat the blitz? You beat it with speed. Evans has it, Reed doesn't. It's time to find out what we've got with Evans. It makes a whole lot more sense than putting in a career journeyman in Matthews at QB. Price hid some of our OL woes for a while until teams adjusted to Gilbride's offense in 2002 by being a big play threat. We need some big plays. Moulds is no longer a top ten receiver- good but nowhere near great as Charles Woodson showed last week. We need to give Bledsoe a weapon that can get open quickly and make some big plays- that's Evans IMO.

4) Play McGahee on all long yardage situations. We are the worst 3rd and long or anything and long team I've ever seen. Bledsoe needs to be able to dump the ball off to someone that can catch and make a first down if in 2 seconds his primary target is covered. We all know he only has 3 seconds to throw it so WM gives him a better option than the fetal position. I'd also play McGahee in the red zone. Off tackle gets kinda cramped against a 9 man line- you need to be able to bounce outside if it isn't there around the goal line- I think WM gives us a better chance there.

5) Play with more emotion than they do. It's a home game, a game we have to have. For them it's only a game they'd like to have to keep a streak alive. We need to play harder and meaner than they do for 60 minutes. Emotion from the crowd and the players is sometimes a great equalizer in football. That's another reason why a good start is imperative.

Canadian'eh!
09-21-2004, 01:34 PM
we're dead.

Patrick76777
09-21-2004, 01:37 PM
we're dead.

Road division games! Toughest games of the year.

They're way overdue for a loss.

They'll underestimate us, even with the coach they have!

finsrclowns
09-21-2004, 01:38 PM
we're dead.

I'm ignoring negative posts at this time.

Memo to all other people who think the team is dead in the water: don't post in this thread to voice your opinion- we all know what we're up against. If noone else has anything positive to add, let this thread die a natural death and I'll keep my positive thoughts to myself.

LABillzFan
09-21-2004, 01:55 PM

Memo to all other people who think the team is dead in the water: don't post in this thread to voice your opinion- we all know what we're up against. If noone else has anything positive to add, let this thread die a natural death and I'll keep my positive thoughts to myself.

Then I should probably be the last person to add a post based on this criteria.

I particularly like the idea of a spread formation and no huddle. Pat's OL is porous and that is a great way to take advantage of that weakness. Scoring on our opening drive is a lofty goal, but it CAN be done against the Pats.

Canadian'eh!
09-21-2004, 02:08 PM

Sorry about that... I just dont' want to get my hopes up again.

I lie your pan a lot... but to me ruight now, we are all about mistakes. BAD ABD penalties have to stop. and execution is key. we need to catch the Patsoff guard. whatever they are expecting we need to do the opposite.

and the D has to create turnovers... maybe even put some points up.

justasportsfan
09-21-2004, 02:12 PM
we're dead.
:snicker: