PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding players playing in Europe and Russia?

don137
09-21-2004, 08:25 PM
I am no expert and I am not 100% on all the details of the lockout and am hoping you guys can clarify my confusion. Why are all these NHL players willing to risk injury and play for a fraction of what they make in the NHL to play hockey in Europe and Russia during the lockout but won't accept a salary cap and a lower salary (even though it would be higher than what they are making in Europe). Is it because they know playing in Europe is temporary so the don't mind playing at a reduced salary since it is temporary or is it because they love the game and it is more the union making the hard stance and not the players?

Đ²
09-21-2004, 10:46 PM
To stay in game shape. They are professional athletes and hockey is a sport where you lose your wind/legs very quickly....

A lot of the lifers, i.e. the Canadians who have made their livelihood in the minor leagues & in the pro leagues in Europe are grumbling hard about it, because they are bumped off teams in favour of say Mats Sundin, who's there just to keep his fitness up, not for his livelihood.

Myers57
09-22-2004, 10:31 AM
Definetely it is an issue of where they just have to keep playing and be more competitive for when the league does start action once again...