X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

The Truth on the 1st round draft pick in 2005

There has been some debate about our 2005 1st round draft pick.. or the lack there of.. and where that pick might land.

this is actually one thing that doesnt bother me that much, and i will tell you way.

TD and Modrack, as well as Mularkey stated that they made this move because they felt that JP Losman was a better qb prospect than any of the prospects coming out in 2005.

From what i saw in the preseason, the guy defeniately looks like a gamer and i am hopeful about his prospects. I am also very glad that he is getting this rookie year out of the way this year.. just like carson palmer did.. just like culpepper did.. just like mcnair did..

Now lets say we go 5-11 or whatever, and the offense continues to struggle mightily.. and we didnt get losman this past year.. we just had evans as a 1st round pick. what would everyone be saying at the end of the year.. "DRAFT A QB FIRST!!".. so we use a high high draft pick on a highly touted qb.. how often do the qbs at the top of the 1st round end up being the best ones? akili smith, couch, and mcnoun were first round picks.. along with mcnabb and culpepper... draft position doesnt mean everything..

and along with that high draft pick we spend on a qb, comes a heafty price tag...

now basically, it all comes down to "Is JP Losman a better prospect than 2005s QB class"... i can easily say that he is among the best of them, at the very least. he has shown to be completely promising from what we have seen on the field.. he will be a year ahead of the game mentally.. and he will be able to grow with lee evans and mcgahee.

the price we paid is gone now.. we paid the 2nd and 5th last year.. so other than the first rounder that we used already.. we dont lose anything more..

i think we made the right choice getting our qb this year.. and getting the guy that we did.

just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Tatonka; 09-22-2004, 08:16 AM.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

yup...a good rationalization is always better than good sex.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

I agree with Tatonka...the logic is sound and people whining about the draft pick are just pissed because the draft day party won't be as exciting. I still would give up the rationalization for some good sex though...oh wait a minute...we won't be picking in the first round

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

so what i just posted was like good sex?

i feel used.
        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• casdhf
          • Jul 2002

I also thing that if a 5-11 season is ahead of us, TD will seriously consider trading Travis. If even for another 2nd round pick. Interior lineman rarely go in the top 20, which I thing is where we need the most help.
          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• R. Rich
            • Apr 2003

Tatonka, people might feel differently about Losman/the trade if he hadn't gotten injured and stunted his development, I think. He was doing well in drills before getting hurt, so there was hope that he'd become a good option either later this year or next year. Now, he'll be a bit behind schedule.

Comment

• tampabay25690
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Tatonka
              There has been some debate about our 2005 1st round draft pick.. or the lack there of.. and where that pick might land.

this is actually one thing that doesnt bother me that much, and i will tell you way.

TD and Modrack, as well as Mularkey stated that they made this move because they felt that JP Losman was a better qb prospect than any of the prospects coming out in 2005.

From what i saw in the preseason, the guy defeniately looks like a gamer and i am hopeful about his prospects. I am also very glad that he is getting this rookie year out of the way this year.. just like carson palmer did.. just like culpepper did.. just like mcnair did..

Now lets say we go 5-11 or whatever, and the offense continues to struggle mightily.. and we didnt get losman this past year.. we just had evans as a 1st round pick. what would everyone be saying at the end of the year.. "DRAFT A QB FIRST!!".. so we use a high high draft pick on a highly touted qb.. how often do the qbs at the top of the 1st round end up being the best ones? akili smith, couch, and mcnoun were first round picks.. along with mcnabb and culpepper... draft position doesnt mean everything..

and along with that high draft pick we spend on a qb, comes a heafty price tag...

now basically, it all comes down to "Is JP Losman a better prospect than 2005s QB class"... i can easily say that he is among the best of them, at the very least. he has shown to be completely promising from what we have seen on the field.. he will be a year ahead of the game mentally.. and he will be able to grow with lee evans and mcgahee.

the price we paid is gone now.. we paid the 2nd and 5th last year.. so other than the first rounder that we used already.. we dont lose anything more..

i think we made the right choice getting our qb this year.. and getting the guy that we did.

just my 2 cents.

Very good Post
              GO Gators!!!!!!
              GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by R. Rich
                Tatonka, people might feel differently about Losman/the trade if he hadn't gotten injured and stunted his development, I think. He was doing well in drills before getting hurt, so there was hope that he'd become a good option either later this year or next year. Now, he'll be a bit behind schedule.
                i dont think it is really putting him "behind" the schedule.. he is still learning what he can..

the main thing about rookie qbs is the mental aspect of the game.. this injury has not stunted that.. other than some practice reps with the scout team.. he is not going to be far behind.. i think that it may actually help focus MORE on the mental side of things.. watching tendancies.. learning players.. film study.. getting the plays down in his head.

i am confident that he will be fine.

i wish i felt that way about the rest of our oline.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                  • May 2003

Add that to the fact that next years draft is deep at Tackle. There are some good centers that will be available in the third.

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
                    Add that to the fact that next years draft is deep at Tackle. There are some good centers that will be available in the third.
                    i thought for sure you were going to mention henson..

you get positive rep points.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                      • May 2003

No, I still think Henson is going to be a decent QB in this league and the price tag was small compared to what the Bills did, I am happy with what happened and I look forward to our QB of the future.

Comment

• carybillsfan
                        • Aug 2003

My only problem with the post is, why are we always waiting until next year. We constantly draft for the future and not the present. Ever since Bum Phillips took over the team and throughout the TD era we continuosly draft for next year. We here the same old story next year we'll be better, or next year the guy we drafted in the first round will be a star. Now lets see, in ourpast 3 drafts we drafted a 350lb pylon, rb who still won't get a chance, and qb who, imo, will still have growing pains for the next 3 years and we womn't get a 1st rder next year to help shore up our o-line. I just don't get it, and by then Moulds will be gone Jennings is sure to be a goner after this year, and we all know how easy it is to replace an all-pro wr, and a starting tackle. I'm sicking of waiting for the future I want to win now, before most of our drafted talent ends up on other teams.

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

I don't think the price tag was too high for JP. I like the fact that he's getting experience this year.

It just kills me however that Dallas will most likely get a top 5 draft pick from us. After the Phins, Dallas is the team I hate the most and I hate to seem them get anything good.

Comment

• Hemlepp53
                            • Jul 2004

just my 2 cents.

Dude ... Congrats on one of the better Posts I've read on here since joining. I agree on all points and wish more posters would post imformative reads like this one. May people are upset that JP is out but I agree with you that he will grow reguardless to him being on the field or not. again Congrats... You know your Sh**!!!

@Hemlepp53

Comment

• Ebenezer
                              Give me a minute...
                              • Jul 2002

so what i just posted was like good sex?

i feel used.

no, it was a line from The Big Chill...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

Working...
                              X