PDA

View Full Version : The Truth on the 1st round draft pick in 2005

Tatonka
09-22-2004, 08:13 AM
There has been some debate about our 2005 1st round draft pick.. or the lack there of.. and where that pick might land.

this is actually one thing that doesnt bother me that much, and i will tell you way.

TD and Modrack, as well as Mularkey stated that they made this move because they felt that JP Losman was a better qb prospect than any of the prospects coming out in 2005.

From what i saw in the preseason, the guy defeniately looks like a gamer and i am hopeful about his prospects. I am also very glad that he is getting this rookie year out of the way this year.. just like carson palmer did.. just like culpepper did.. just like mcnair did..

Now lets say we go 5-11 or whatever, and the offense continues to struggle mightily.. and we didnt get losman this past year.. we just had evans as a 1st round pick. what would everyone be saying at the end of the year.. "DRAFT A QB FIRST!!".. so we use a high high draft pick on a highly touted qb.. how often do the qbs at the top of the 1st round end up being the best ones? akili smith, couch, and mcnoun were first round picks.. along with mcnabb and culpepper... draft position doesnt mean everything..

and along with that high draft pick we spend on a qb, comes a heafty price tag...

now basically, it all comes down to "Is JP Losman a better prospect than 2005s QB class"... i can easily say that he is among the best of them, at the very least. he has shown to be completely promising from what we have seen on the field.. he will be a year ahead of the game mentally.. and he will be able to grow with lee evans and mcgahee.

the price we paid is gone now.. we paid the 2nd and 5th last year.. so other than the first rounder that we used already.. we dont lose anything more..

i think we made the right choice getting our qb this year.. and getting the guy that we did.

just my 2 cents.

:;

Ebenezer
09-22-2004, 08:21 AM
yup...a good rationalization is always better than good sex.

Typ0
09-22-2004, 08:25 AM
I agree with Tatonka...the logic is sound and people whining about the draft pick are just pissed because the draft day party won't be as exciting. I still would give up the rationalization for some good sex though...oh wait a minute...we won't be picking in the first round ;)

Tatonka
09-22-2004, 08:33 AM
so what i just posted was like good sex?

i feel used.

casdhf
09-22-2004, 08:42 AM
I also thing that if a 5-11 season is ahead of us, TD will seriously consider trading Travis. If even for another 2nd round pick. Interior lineman rarely go in the top 20, which I thing is where we need the most help.

R. Rich
09-22-2004, 08:53 AM
Tatonka, people might feel differently about Losman/the trade if he hadn't gotten injured and stunted his development, I think. He was doing well in drills before getting hurt, so there was hope that he'd become a good option either later this year or next year. Now, he'll be a bit behind schedule.

tampabay25690
09-22-2004, 08:58 AM
There has been some debate about our 2005 1st round draft pick.. or the lack there of.. and where that pick might land.

this is actually one thing that doesnt bother me that much, and i will tell you way.

TD and Modrack, as well as Mularkey stated that they made this move because they felt that JP Losman was a better qb prospect than any of the prospects coming out in 2005.

From what i saw in the preseason, the guy defeniately looks like a gamer and i am hopeful about his prospects. I am also very glad that he is getting this rookie year out of the way this year.. just like carson palmer did.. just like culpepper did.. just like mcnair did..

Now lets say we go 5-11 or whatever, and the offense continues to struggle mightily.. and we didnt get losman this past year.. we just had evans as a 1st round pick. what would everyone be saying at the end of the year.. "DRAFT A QB FIRST!!".. so we use a high high draft pick on a highly touted qb.. how often do the qbs at the top of the 1st round end up being the best ones? akili smith, couch, and mcnoun were first round picks.. along with mcnabb and culpepper... draft position doesnt mean everything..

and along with that high draft pick we spend on a qb, comes a heafty price tag...

now basically, it all comes down to "Is JP Losman a better prospect than 2005s QB class"... i can easily say that he is among the best of them, at the very least. he has shown to be completely promising from what we have seen on the field.. he will be a year ahead of the game mentally.. and he will be able to grow with lee evans and mcgahee.

the price we paid is gone now.. we paid the 2nd and 5th last year.. so other than the first rounder that we used already.. we dont lose anything more..

i think we made the right choice getting our qb this year.. and getting the guy that we did.

just my 2 cents.

Very good Post :clap:

Tatonka
09-22-2004, 09:14 AM
Tatonka, people might feel differently about Losman/the trade if he hadn't gotten injured and stunted his development, I think. He was doing well in drills before getting hurt, so there was hope that he'd become a good option either later this year or next year. Now, he'll be a bit behind schedule.

i dont think it is really putting him "behind" the schedule.. he is still learning what he can..

the main thing about rookie qbs is the mental aspect of the game.. this injury has not stunted that.. other than some practice reps with the scout team.. he is not going to be far behind.. i think that it may actually help focus MORE on the mental side of things.. watching tendancies.. learning players.. film study.. getting the plays down in his head.

i am confident that he will be fine.

i wish i felt that way about the rest of our oline.

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Add that to the fact that next years draft is deep at Tackle. There are some good centers that will be available in the third.

Tatonka
09-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Add that to the fact that next years draft is deep at Tackle. There are some good centers that will be available in the third.

i thought for sure you were going to mention henson..

you get positive rep points. :D

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-22-2004, 10:12 AM
No, I still think Henson is going to be a decent QB in this league and the price tag was small compared to what the Bills did, I am happy with what happened and I look forward to our QB of the future.

:up:

carybillsfan
09-22-2004, 10:30 AM
My only problem with the post is, why are we always waiting until next year. We constantly draft for the future and not the present. Ever since Bum Phillips took over the team and throughout the TD era we continuosly draft for next year. We here the same old story next year we'll be better, or next year the guy we drafted in the first round will be a star. Now lets see, in ourpast 3 drafts we drafted a 350lb pylon, rb who still won't get a chance, and qb who, imo, will still have growing pains for the next 3 years and we womn't get a 1st rder next year to help shore up our o-line. I just don't get it, and by then Moulds will be gone Jennings is sure to be a goner after this year, and we all know how easy it is to replace an all-pro wr, and a starting tackle. I'm sicking of waiting for the future I want to win now, before most of our drafted talent ends up on other teams.

ArcticWildMan
09-22-2004, 10:33 AM
I don't think the price tag was too high for JP. I like the fact that he's getting experience this year.

It just kills me however that Dallas will most likely get a top 5 draft pick from us. After the Phins, Dallas is the team I hate the most and I hate to seem them get anything good.

Hemlepp53
09-22-2004, 10:41 AM

just my 2 cents.

Dude :urock:... Congrats on one of the better Posts I've read on here since joining. I agree on all points and wish more posters would post imformative reads like this one. May people are upset that JP is out but I agree with you that he will grow reguardless to him being on the field or not. again Congrats... You know your Sh**!!!

:10:

:gobills:

Ebenezer
09-22-2004, 11:24 AM
so what i just posted was like good sex?

i feel used.

no, it was a line from The Big Chill...

Tatonka
09-22-2004, 11:31 AM
Dude :urock:... Congrats on one of the better Posts I've read on here since joining. I agree on all points and wish more posters would post imformative reads like this one. May people are upset that JP is out but I agree with you that he will grow reguardless to him being on the field or not. again Congrats... You know your Sh**!!!

:10:

:gobills:

gimme rep points then!! :snicker:

seriously.. thanks.

lordofgun
09-22-2004, 11:33 AM
I'd rather have a top-5-10 pick and not use it on a QB. JMO.

I hope JP proves me wrong.

Ebenezer
09-22-2004, 11:43 AM
I'd rather have a top-5-10 pick and not use it on a QB. JMO.

I hope JP proves me wrong.
good point.

SoCalBillsFan
09-22-2004, 12:41 PM
BUt it begs the question...will there be any QB prospects better than Losman?

I think the only one with a chance is aaron rodgers, the QB at Cal if he decides to enter the draft early. He's got a rocket, can move around, and is pretty cerebral.

Still, who knows if he will enter the draft, and if he does, who says we would have been able to get him? The more I think about it, the more I like it. It really is like using you first round pick a year early.

lordofgun
09-22-2004, 01:18 PM
BUt it begs the question...will there be any QB prospects better than Losman?

I think the only one with a chance is aaron rodgers, the QB at Cal if he decides to enter the draft early. He's got a rocket, can move around, and is pretty cerebral.

Still, who knows if he will enter the draft, and if he does, who says we would have been able to get him? The more I think about it, the more I like it. It really is like using you first round pick a year early.
Yeah, but it could be like taking JP in the top 5. If that's the case, it's a bad move.

TigerJ
09-22-2004, 01:27 PM
I agree with the post, Tatonka. I think the only drawback with JP Losman is that he has "happy feet." He's more athletic than probably any other QB in either the 2004 or 2005 draft, but some QBs coming out in 2005 will be more polished than Losman was. I think Sam Wyche will probably help Losman get his happy feet under control, but I don't know how long it will take.

lordofgun
09-22-2004, 01:35 PM
Happy feet are better than stone feet.

Kolbiss
09-22-2004, 01:56 PM
Happy feet are better than stone feet.

Thank you LOG!!! after watching Bledsoe, how can anyone complain or be worried about someone who tries to move around a bit!

Ebenezer
09-22-2004, 02:08 PM
Thank you LOG!!! after watching Bledsoe, how can anyone complain or be worried about someone who tries to move around a bit!
nobody ever complained about the fact that Kelly couldn't run...if a QB is effective he doesn't have to be able to do anything but breath and throw.

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-22-2004, 02:10 PM
nobody ever complained about the fact that Kelly couldn't run...if a QB is effective he doesn't have to be able to do anything but breath and throw.

Kelly played 10 years ago, todays NFL is different IMO. You have to be able to move a little.

Ebenezer
09-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Kelly played 10 years ago, todays NFL is different IMO. You have to be able to move a little.
that may be true...but if a QB was effective then the fans wouldn't complain because he couldn't move...

Kolbiss
09-22-2004, 03:29 PM

I agree, I am just responding to anyone that is going to say we shouldn't have Losman in there because he has happy feet.........I'll take a crack whore on caffeine in there if he avoids the rush or gets rid of the ball better.

Lone Stranger
09-22-2004, 04:00 PM
We should also look at the fact that we will have a smaller rookie pool in 2005 which may either free up a few $ to sign our free agents t :winkpunch o go into the free agent market a little more vigorously.

HenryRules
09-22-2004, 05:54 PM
Maybe it's just me, but T's original post seems to come down to two points:
What we gave up was worth giving up because JP Losman is a highly touted QB prospect.
Giving up a high draft pick is ok, because highly touted QB prospect aren't guaranteed to be any good.

I don't think that's a great way to justify the pick.

I think JP was a great choice. I think we overpaid to get him and if this was our only option, I would have preferred we not make the move. I think your chance of finding good QB's in the draft is just as good as finding them when they're unwanted (Delhomme, Plummer, Warner, Johnson, Kitna, and Maddox are a few QB's who've been available for next to nothing just before they made it big)

Tatonka
09-22-2004, 09:24 PM
Maybe it's just me, but T's original post seems to come down to two points:
What we gave up was worth giving up because JP Losman is a highly touted QB prospect.
Giving up a high draft pick is ok, because highly touted QB prospect aren't guaranteed to be any good.

I don't think that's a great way to justify the pick.

I think JP was a great choice. I think we overpaid to get him and if this was our only option, I would have preferred we not make the move. I think your chance of finding good QB's in the draft is just as good as finding them when they're unwanted (Delhomme, Plummer, Warner, Johnson, Kitna, and Maddox are a few QB's who've been available for next to nothing just before they made it big)

i think that the bills believe he was worth a top pick.. not only for his abillity, but to get him in here and have him sit for a year... the bills paid a premium for that.. and he was showing to be all that was advertised up until the injury.

i also think that he is among the elite qb prospects that are available this year. there is NO ONE with a stronger arm.. greater mobility.. the knock on hims was ALWAYS the attitude. and he has shown in buffalo that it was all a pile of ****.. he has handled every thing and every turn with class. and i think that will continue.

if we didnt take him last year, we would be screaming for a qb with the high first pick this year.. but no matter who we got.. it doesnt mean they would be better and they definately wouldnt have a year of nfl experience under their belt.

i am fine with the deal we got.. and also think we will get the 1st round pick back with travis so that hopefully we can pick up a olineman worth a ****.

HenryRules
09-22-2004, 10:30 PM
At the end of the day, I think any player, to be worth a 1st, 2nd, and 5th has to be extremely special - and that's my main complaint about the Losman trade.

Carolina went to the Super Bowl last year. And two big reasons were their 1st in 2003 (Jordan Gross) and their 2nd rounder in 2002 (DeShaun Foster). I can't remember who their 5th was, but with the help of those 2 it doesn't really matter. With a 1st and a 2nd, they got what looks like a franchise OT and what might end up being a franchise RB. There's very few QB's in the NFL that I'd trade straight up for that at a similar point in their careers. What I mean is that obviously, right now I'd choose Favre straight up over Foster and Gross ... but for pretty much every young QB in the game - save Vick maybe - I'd prefer to have Foster and Gross.

Tatonka
09-23-2004, 07:58 AM
if he turns out to be farve jr. or the like.. it will be ok..

if he turns out to be leaf jr.. it wont..

i liked the way he looked so far.. i dont see why he shouldnt improve with some time at the end of this year.

he will be our starter by next year, no doubt. we could not have done that with a rookie from next years draft and expected anything out of him or any kind of winning season.

SABURZFAN
09-23-2004, 08:07 AM
I agree with Tatonka...the logic is sound and people whining about the draft pick are just pissed because the draft day party won't be as exciting.

that's BS!!!!!we lost out on a chance to get a Center(j.grove) that we desparately need.he should be a mainstay in the NFL barring injuries.we could have gone with a QB in the 5th and address the OL/DL with the 1st for next year.draft picks are VERY important to build a team into a winner.

superbills
09-23-2004, 08:35 AM
Yeah, but it could be like taking JP in the top 5. If that's the case, it's a bad move.

True, but that's severely speculative thinking. After last year and the dismissal of our cognitively-challenged coaching staff, most of us were thinking at least 7-9 this season, some even predicting playoffs. When we gave up our number one last year, we had no idea that we would come out of the gate this season like we have, dropping the first two and going into a bye week with more questions than answers. TD obviously thought that things would be different. That we would have a decent record this year and that Dallas would be getting a mid-first round pick at best.

Saying that the trade was a bust just because the pick may end up in the top five is not a fair assessment, IMO. At the time you had to take advantage of one of the deepest QB drafts in recent memory, knowing full well that the prospects for drafting a signal caller of comparable caliber in the coming years was not a likely bet. TD rolled the dice on JP and it looks like the kid was a good gamble, from what little we've seen so far. Only time will tell, but one thing's for sure. I'm glad we have Losman now rather than worrying about who the next Mike Williams will be when TD picks number 5 overall :shakeno:

DraftBoy
09-23-2004, 08:44 AM
Draft a QB in the 5th?? Why the hell would you do that? We'd be screaming this year for a new QB. Jake Grove is a good player but hes not the best in the league or likely to be within the next 3 seasons, he wouldnt likely solve any of out OL problems this year, Im happy with Losman over Grove.