PDA

View Full Version : Just how far do you think rookies/youth can carry a team??

Ebenezer
09-22-2004, 11:30 AM
I get a chuckle out of some of the posts..."JP can do it", "next year's draft is full of T and we can get a center in the 3rd round" and so on and so on. Answer me this...let's assume that in 2005 TD is able to draft a T and a C to augment the line...JP and Willis are the starters and Evans and Moulds (even though I don't think he will be a Bill next season) are the WR. How far do you think a team with that much youth can go?? This is the NFL not the SEC. Teams made of that much youth don't go very far all that often. For a team like that to succeed you would have to have one of the best coaching staffs/personal departments in the league. According to most of the posters around here MM is already a bust and TD doesn't know squat. Your arguments just don't jive folks.

If you really think that MM and TD are as bad as it appears and you think that a team full of youth on the Offensive side of the ball can be winners in 2005 then your logic is horrible. Realize this: the Bills are just STARTING the rebuild. It will be 2006 before they are winners (at the earliest) under the plan we are seeing being conducted. Unless the line is augmented by serious veteran help we should not expect major success in the short term. JMO.

:feedback:

Armpalm Ali Musch
09-22-2004, 04:49 PM
We just need an O-line.

HenryRules
09-22-2004, 06:02 PM
I agree that if JP is our QB and Evans a #1 or #2 receiver next year, with a rookie T and/or C, we probably won't be a playoff team.

However, if our offense next year has Drew, both Henry and McGahee, and no upgrades on the line (which I don't think we can afford as a FA or draft without a first) then I don't think we're going to contend next season anyway.

At least if we start the rebuilding this season and next, we won't be waiting until 2007 to make the playoffs.

Mr. Cynical
09-22-2004, 06:20 PM
It's not about winning Day 1 with rookies. It is about building a foundation for the future. If you never start your rookies, you never move into the future.

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-22-2004, 06:43 PM
Well since you are obviously using me as one of your examples, I will ask you this, how far has the vets on the team taken us? What are you going to do next year when the left tackle is gone? What are you going to do when the team is in desperate need of a center?

It makes me chuckle when guys like you try to be the center of reason and rationale and think your opinions are so great and everyone who disagrees with you are a bunch of ******s.

ScottLawrence
09-22-2004, 07:14 PM
I get a chuckle out of some of the posts..."JP can do it", "next year's draft is full of T and we can get a center in the 3rd round" and so on and so on. Answer me this...let's assume that in 2005 TD is able to draft a T and a C to augment the line...JP and Willis are the starters and Evans and Moulds (even though I don't think he will be a Bill next season) are the WR. How far do you think a team with that much youth can go?? This is the NFL not the SEC. Teams made of that much youth don't go very far all that often. For a team like that to succeed you would have to have one of the best coaching staffs/personal departments in the league. According to most of the posters around here MM is already a bust and TD doesn't know squat. Your arguments just don't jive folks.

If you really think that MM and TD are as bad as it appears and you think that a team full of youth on the Offensive side of the ball can be winners in 2005 then your logic is horrible. Realize this: the Bills are just STARTING the rebuild. It will be 2006 before they are winners (at the earliest) under the plan we are seeing being conducted. Unless the line is augmented by serious veteran help we should not expect major success in the short term. JMO.

:feedback:

The Jets are starting two rookies on defense and have one of the youngest teams in the NFL..... they currently sit at 2-0... How far can that young defense take the team? Well, there looking pretty good right now.

I don't buy it..... I personally don't think this O-Line is even that bad, if it wasn't for Bledsoe not being able to read a defense it would look FINE.

Then you say if Losman starts next year, they will be rebuilding. Why?..... Manning in his second year went to playoffs, Brady, Culpepper, Even Kyle Boller was on the verge of taking his team to the playoffs in his ROOKIE season if not for getting injuried in week 9.

You made some nice points but, its not true.

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-22-2004, 07:58 PM
Take off Rodney Peete, John Kasey, and and Ricky Proehl and what was the NFL experience of significant players of the Carolina Panthers last year. I will bet that the starters had minimal experience.

HenryRules
09-22-2004, 08:04 PM
Take off Rodney Peete, John Kasey, and and Ricky Proehl and what was the NFL experience of the Carolina Panthers last year. I will bet that the starters had minimal experience.

They've got a lot of guys that have been around for a while:
Delhomme
Stephen Davis
Mushin Muhammed
Mitchell
Meadows
Rucker
Armstead
Short
Minter
Shaw
Hawkins
Kasay
Sauerbrun

Most of their young guys (like Steve Smith or Kris Jenkins) are coming into the 4th or 5th years. The only really young guys last year that I can think of were Peppers and Gross.

ScottLawrence
09-22-2004, 08:24 PM
They've got a lot of guys that have been around for a while:
Delhomme
Stephen Davis
Mushin Muhammed
Mitchell
Meadows
Rucker
Armstead
Short
Minter
Shaw
Hawkins
Kasay
Sauerbrun

Most of their young guys (like Steve Smith or Kris Jenkins) are coming into the 4th or 5th years. The only really young guys last year that I can think of were Peppers and Gross.

OK....So lets say that Losman, McGahee, and Evans are starters next year... whos to say this team is young?

What about the rest of the team?

Fletcher
Posey
Spikes
Williams(If he is still around)
Adams
Vincent
Milloy
Teague
Moulds
Villarrial
Shelton

They maybe be somewhat young at quarterback but, how much worse can the quarterback be compared to Bledsoe this year and last year?