X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WG
    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
    • Jul 2002

Will GW's Decision to... WARNING: Critical and Potentially Negative Thread! :D

...not pull Bledsoe for the final two minutes of the Pats game come back to bite us when we travel to N.E. to play them?

With 6 minutes left, and up 38-7, Belichick IMO graciously ran the ball 7 straight times w/ Smith. I'm sure that if Smith had gotten in Belichick wouldn't have minded. But IMO he clearly was trying to be a gracious victor by not trying to run the score up since I'm sure the Pats could easily have scored again starting from our 29 with almost 6 minutes left on the clock and still taken most of the time off of the clock as well.

Meanwhile, we had had only seen the red zone twice in the game up 'til that point. IMO Bledsoe should have come out and we should have run out the clock instead of trying to put a little bit of window dressing on this loss to save some face for GW & Co. IMO, it also hurt us more b/c while we managed to drive down the field quickly enough, we could not put the ball into the endzone on three tries from the 4, 1, and 1 YLs. So in the long run, I think it ended up totally backfiring anyway as it merely emphasized the problems that we've been having on offense instead of trying to cover them up some more.

Q: Will GW's decision to keep Bledsoe in the game and try to score hurt us when we go to N.E.?
    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

• Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

No. Running up the score on someone can hurt you though. It's my understanding Drew asked to remain in the game telling GW he expected to be out there every snap no matter what. I think it speaks to his character. Not only does he want to play...he wants to take the lumps just like the team has to take lumps.

Comment

• 4thAndLong
      I'm Really 4 and Short
      • Sep 2002

You cant forget, Bledsoe might of still been in there because he is chasing Dan Marino's record, especially when it's Bledsoe against his old team, you'll want to pad his stats a little.

Why would it hurt us in NE?

Comment

• lordofgun
        in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

Can you run up the score when you're hopelessly behind? Teams alwqays try to score to make it look closer than it actually was.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Wys Guy
          • Jul 2002

I've just heard some commentary on WNY sports shows and from Fred Smerlas in particular addressing the situation. I simply thought I'd ask the question.

It's unlikely that Drew's gonna hit Marino's record. A good reason why many people are hopeful that he does is due to 2 O/T performances resulting in a significant accumulation of passing yardage adding to his totals. He needs to average 326 YPG from here to tie it. That's pretty optimistic in anyone's opinion. Considering that our offense is struggling right now and that we are entering many games in cold weather and in which we face tougher Ds, IMO he isn't going to be very close. That's not to say he's having a bad season. I simply think that that record is out of reach practically speaking.

As to the game, with the Pat D playing the way it was, why risk additional hits/sacks to Bledsoe w/ the game way, way out hand? That's one school of thought on the matter.

It's tough to argue that 7 more points was all that meaningful and worth injury risks considering that Drew was taking heat. I guess it's all hindsight. If Drew goes down, then it's a horrible call.

Either way, IMO, the benefit that we derived from keeping him in there was minimal if positive at all. I don't think it did us any favors not being able to put the ball into the endzone on three tries from the 4, 1, and 1.

JMO however.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
            • Jul 2002

The other school of thought on the matter is that Belichick wouldn't be as merciful next time around in N.E. Based on the fan reaction we saw at RWS, we certainly can't hope that the fans don't call for running up the score should the situation arise in N.E.

Tough crowd last Sunday! Too many Pats fans there...

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Dozerdog
              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

I don't care what Bledsoe says...

Great- you want to take your lumps with the team. If I'm the coach, then I'll tell him -"OK- you get to run 20 more laps with the rest of these sorry assed guys- matter of fact- lead them around the track!"

"But I am not risking the season on your pride. You will take a seat next to doughboy over there... Travis- get in the game!!"

Comment

• Marcos20
                • Oct 2002

he wanted to stoy there....
                Si me pueden entender:

"Aguante la Bersuit krajo , E-Moulds el WR +kpo

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

To me it was his commitment to take every snap this season. I don't mind that at all.

Comment

• mybills
                    81 st zoner
                    • Jul 2002

Had he left, what would NE be thinking? No matter who made the decision for him to stay in, or sit it out, NE would only be thinking one thing. The word "Wuss" comes to mind, which would only boost their ego for next time!
                    I doubt I'd chance the injury, but I'm glad it worked out ok. Now we can go into NE with a "payback" attitude, unlike the "I'm lost" attitude they all seemed to have last weekend!

I really need to find a tailgate party for that game.
                    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• DIHARD2
                      • Sep 2002

Actually I do not want him to write a record on passing yards, but I do want us to win the game's. What that would show is, that the running attack was balancing out the passing attack. If he gets it or if he has to, then fine but I'd rather see us controlling the clock and winning the games.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...
                      "The right of free speech is the God given right of each man to make an ass of himself." B Franklin

Comment

• LuvDaBills11
                        • Nov 2002

gws coaching will hurt us in new england more than drew.drew threw for 302 yards but williams sucked

if he dosnet learn he will get beat the same way and we will be embarassed again

and then hell be fired if were lucky

Comment

• Halbert
                          I'm Not Normal
                          • Jul 2002

Leaving him in because he wants to take every snap: Stupid.

Leaving him in because he wants to chase a record: Stupid.

Leaving him in to set an example for the rest of the team: Misguided. And stupid.

I wasn't going to bring it up because I like GW and didn't want to pile it on after 4th and 2 but that's another call he won't likely make again. When Drew got crunched at the end of an obviously hopeless situation I think it clarified the issue for future reference.

Comment

• Judge
                            • Aug 2002

Re: Will GW's Decision to... WARNING: Critical and Potentially Negative Thread!

Originally posted by Wys Guy
                            ...not pull Bledsoe for the final two minutes of the Pats game come back to bite us when we travel to N.E. to play them?

Q: Will GW's decision to keep Bledsoe in the game and try to score hurt us when we go to N.E.?
                            YES! It will!

The only purpose for leaving Drew and co. in was personal stats for those guys- to keep Bledsoe's drive for 5000 yards going and to help Moulds and Price. Why else would they have been in there gunslinging away?

The Patriots were TICKED, as shown by their aggressive hitting on that drive.

It was in poor taste to do that when the game was out of reach. The Bills should have had Travis Brown handing off to Joe Burns to end the game.
                            Argue like hell. Keep it clean. And when it's over, shake hands and root for our team!

Comment

• DIHARD2
                              • Sep 2002

I have seen in two minutes a team, come from two touchdowns and a field goal behind to win the game. It was Buffalo, against the New York Jets I believe it was 68. One of the only game's Buffalo won that year I think.

They started out as a team, and I don't think in their mind it was ever totally over, not if they are true competitors, which I think they are..

It's easy to sit here and say what we feel should have been done it is always easier to second-guess. But to say that Bledsoe should have been pull, it just shows me, some have never really played competitive sports. If I were in that position and I were Bledsoe I would refuse unless I'm hurt to be pull. That was a no-brainer and I would've been more disappointed if Williams did pull him.
                              The signed of a true competitor is being willing to crash and burn with the team.

If Bledsoe would've been pulled, then I would have to question Bledsoe's willingness to play in a bad situation.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...
                              "The right of free speech is the God given right of each man to make an ass of himself." B Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X