PDA

View Full Version : What's really wrong with this team?

Canadian'eh!
09-25-2004, 10:52 AM
I see so many stats and blame threads... but i really beleive our problems are top to bottom.

QB - Drew was off target a bit last week for sure. 7 sacks will do that. BUT. he has not fumbled. his 1 INT was nott he worst pass ever thrown. If Henry wasn't so short and have very average hands it woulnd't have happened. They seem to be running shot passing game (that isn't working really) but overall the numbers are okay. yes drew is waiting a bit too long for something to open up, but he rarely has time and if he does they have extra men in coverage, and no one is getting open.

Oline - if i was picking our single biggest problem, this is it. seriously. anyone who Blitzes gets through. no one is picking up blitzes. even 4 man fronts are causing problems. it's been BRUTAL. and Mike Williams has been terrible. their run blocking is even bad this year. I think the penalties might even be down but they are horribly timed.

RB- what exactly has TH done besides average a shade over 3 yards/carry. He has looked the worsti have seen him. Oline may be part of it. but WIllis put together a string of solid runs when trying to kill the clock on Jax. had Villarial not taken that penalty we would have been in solid FG range if not better. he had another 1st. Herny did nothing special on the goal line so far either.

WR - Drops at bad times, fumbles and simply not getting open. Moulds doesn't look anything like 02 Moulds. Josh Reed has the worst drops. just brutal. Evans is being underused and when Drew does have time, the WR's are not finidng ways to get open.

D- overall they have been the best until of course. But the mental error by Clements killed us... our safeties have been pretty bad. Milloy is far more important to us than i thought. Wire is terrible. The D is still not stepping up enough when the game is on the line. And i saw a bit too much of the '02 D last week where they weren't wrapping up and tackling. The D is Solid but they have to step up. Vincent has been awesome... he sure doesn't look 33 at all. still.. a great D needs to play their greatest when needed. ours isn't doing tha so far.

ST - everytime we get a good return someone takes a stupid penalty. How dumb was Kevin Thomas last week? there's no reason for it. DISCIPLINE. And Clements terrifies me back there. he holds the ball too recklessly and is prone to fumbling. McGee has show something.. i'd feel safer with him.

Coaching - Playcalling has again been questionable. these short passes aren't working out.. thye need to take a few more shots downfoe;d to utilize the new rules and Moulds and Evans abilities. The running game is not working so much, so why not try mixing it up more and give Willis a drive once in a while. My big issue is discipline. where is it? why the penalties? why the mental breakdowns? why the confusion? I just can't explain a lot of tings... and Mularkey is frightening me with his GW like tendancy to just accept these things as the offenders come to the sideline. GET MAD! let them know it's not accpetable! bench someone! do something!

anyway...

The calls have gone against us a lot. we made so many mental errors and there are so many stupid mistakes, I'm starting to feel like it's 03 all over again. A good team that just can do no right.

I hopethis bye week is being put to good use.

elltrain22
09-25-2004, 12:33 PM
You have pretty much hit on everything, but here is my attempt....

QB- Drew sucks, period. Sorry, I know the guy doesn't have zero time to throw, but way too many mis-throws this year. Not as much zip or accuracy coming from him anymore. Always seems to settle for the short play, and never goes for the first down passes, we so desperately need. And his pocket pressence is still the worst in the league. Please somebody get this guy outta here now...

RB- Canadian-eh! hit this sucker right on, TH has been real average this year. True, the line has sucked, and not too many holes have been opening up, but Willis seems to be finding holes that Travis is not. Another thing about TH, he bounces outside way too much, and ususallly when he does, he looses 5 or 6 yards for us on 1st or 2nd downs, and then our offense can never, ever recover after his losses.

WR- Moulds has been a bit disappointing, but I am not sure if he couldn't do alot better w/ another qb who could allow him more time to get open and make plays. Evans has been vastly underused, but when he plays, he has been great. Its still the same old story w/ Reed, no speed, no YAC, never gets open, and still drops alot of passes. Aiken, Coleman, and Shaw haven't done much for me to even speak of.

OL- Worst line in the NFL, period. These guys can't pass block, can't run block, and can't ever handle incoming blitz's. We need alot of help here, otherwise, its going to be a very long year.

Def Line- Not too much for a pass rush, but Schobel has been good, and Kelsay has looked fairly decent, but we still need another pass rushing threat besides Schobel.

Linebackers- Best unit on our team, having a great year.

Secondary- We miss Milloy so much. Coy Wire is never going to be the answer. Clements & Vincent have been alright, except when we really need them to.

Overall, w/ our horrible o-line, bad WR's, and no confidence coming out of Drew, this team is going to struggle; week in week out.

Mr. Cynical
09-25-2004, 01:18 PM

QB- Drew sucks, period. Sorry, I know the guy doesn't have zero time to throw, but way too many mis-throws this year. Not as much zip or accuracy coming from him anymore. Always seems to settle for the short play, and never goes for the first down passes, we so desperately need. And his pocket pressence is still the worst in the league. Please somebody get this guy outta here now...

RB- Canadian-eh! hit this sucker right on, TH has been real average this year. True, the line has sucked, and not too many holes have been opening up, but Willis seems to be finding holes that Travis is not. Another thing about TH, he bounces outside way too much, and ususallly when he does, he looses 5 or 6 yards for us on 1st or 2nd downs, and then our offense can never, ever recover after his losses.

WR- Moulds has been a bit disappointing, but I am not sure if he couldn't do alot better w/ another qb who could allow him more time to get open and make plays. Evans has been vastly underused, but when he plays, he has been great. Its still the same old story w/ Reed, no speed, no YAC, never gets open, and still drops alot of passes. Aiken, Coleman, and Shaw haven't done much for me to even speak of.

OL- Worst line in the NFL, period. These guys can't pass block, can't run block, and can't ever handle incoming blitz's. We need alot of help here, otherwise, its going to be a very long year.

Def Line- Not too much for a pass rush, but Schobel has been good, and Kelsay has looked fairly decent, but we still need another pass rushing threat besides Schobel.

Secondary- We miss Milloy so much. Coy Wire is never going to be the answer. Clements & Vincent have been alright, except when we really need them to.

Overall, w/ our horrible o-line, bad WR's, and no confidence coming out of Drew, this team is going to struggle; week in week out.:10:

Bottom line is the offense is so putrid that it will not get better this year. We can't replace the entire oline, and TD isn't going to let MM bench his next biggest mistake besides GW (Drew). The best thing that can happen this year is for JP and WM to get the reps they need now to make '05 a solid year.

HenryRules
09-25-2004, 05:51 PM
Aside from the break down that you give, I think this team is also missing a winning attitude throughout the lineup.

Good teams seem to always come up with big plays at key times and always seem to pull out the close ones.

When the other team has the ball in the 4th quarter, there's no one on D that I say to myself, "so-and-so is going to come up with a huge sack/interception/tackle for loss/fumble/whatever".

When we have the ball in the 4th ... well, nothing needs to be said about that.

No big special teams play at key times, no big kicks with the game on the line ... nothing.

It says a lot about your team's character when a player constantly mentioned as the team's MVP is a non pro-bowl punter.

HenryRules
09-25-2004, 06:38 PM
ST - everytime we get a good return someone takes a stupid penalty. How dumb was Kevin Thomas last week? there's no reason for it. DISCIPLINE. And Clements terrifies me back there. he holds the ball too recklessly and is prone to fumbling. McGee has show something.. i'd feel safer with him.

Clements is the only one in recent history that I can think of who has returned a punt/kick for a TD. I have no problem with him back there.

BillyT92679
09-26-2004, 08:43 AM
I truly think Travis has played fine. Willis got his yards against an exhausted Jags defense, and has looked tentative all year. Defenses are stacking the box big time since there is no threat at all for a deep ball. Plus the o-line is getting absolutely no push at all. I do think that Travis is so concerned about fumbling that he is being less aggressive, but it hard to blame him since his biggest flaw is his fumbleitis.

Drew sadly looks lost out there, he has no confidence in himself to do anything at all anymore. And the passive coaching style of Mularkey and Clements just enhance that paranoid mindset that Bledsoe has. Since Mularkey and Clements don't feel comfortable with Bledsoe, it's tautalogical to state that Bledsoe himself doesn't feel confident either.

A BIG AREA OF CONCERN is pass defense! The Bills are tremendous against the run, but against the pass, especially without Lawyer Milloy, the Bills have shown to be tremendously susceptible to the deep ball. For a defense to be truly great, it needs to be the total package... not great against one thing, and average against another. The Bills have forced ZERO fumbles this year, that is simply unacceptable.

FTG
09-26-2004, 08:46 AM
QB - Drew was off target a bit last week for sure. 7 sacks will do that. BUT. he has not fumbled.

The scary part is that is his history. When he starts fumbling were going to get killed instead of losing close games

FTG
09-26-2004, 08:48 AM
his 1 INT was nott he worst pass ever thrown. If Henry wasn't so short and have very average hands it woulnd't have happened. .

It was not Drews fault because Henry is to short?????????

:roflmao:

Nighthawk
09-26-2004, 08:53 AM

Overall, w/ our horrible o-line, bad WR's, and no confidence coming out of Drew, this team is going to struggle; week in week out.

Good points, except Coleman is no longer a WR on this team.

bledslow
09-26-2004, 03:42 PM
if henry wasnt so short?? does drew NOT no that henrys short???? drew also gotta stop whipping the ball so hard on short passes to.

Canadian'eh!
09-26-2004, 06:36 PM
if henry wasnt so short?? does drew NOT no that henrys short???? drew also gotta stop whipping the ball so hard on short passes to.

Henry's being short wasn't the main issue. I just meant it makes him a little lesser of a reciever because anything a bit high is a lot high for him. the throw was high.. but a better recieving RB has it.

Turf
09-26-2004, 10:37 PM
What's really wrong with this team....

The GM.

ReedToReed
09-26-2004, 10:41 PM
When I look at Drew, I see Kurt Warner in his late St. Louis days. He has no pocket presence. In St. Louis, Martz hung Warner out to dry by not having anybody in the backfield to block, and not using a tight end. Here, the O-line just plain sucks.

It's going to take awhile to get his feel back, if it ever happens. Mularkey realy has his hands full.

juice
09-26-2004, 11:06 PM
When I look at Drew, I see Kurt Warner in his late St. Louis days. He has no pocket presence. In St. Louis, Martz hung Warner out to dry by not having anybody in the backfield to block, and not using a tight end. Here, the O-line just plain sucks.

It's going to take awhile to get his feel back, if it ever happens. Mularkey realy has his hands full.
Warner is playing like the best QB in the State of NY.

The_Philster
09-27-2004, 04:50 AM
Bledsoe is the only QB playing in NY...Warner plays in Jersey.

Ickybaluky
09-27-2004, 08:15 AM
Warner's problems had to do with an injury. He basically didn't play last year after week 1. Even at that, his numbers last year were better than Drew's this year.

Warner has a career 66.3% comp. percentage. Bledsoe is a career 57.1% passer. There is no comparison.

Canadian'eh!
09-27-2004, 10:47 AM

and aside from what Philster pointed out.... If you take in all the NY teams (the 1 real, and 2 from Jersey)

Pennington would be the one who looks the best to me.

Mr. Cynical
09-27-2004, 11:10 AM
Warner's problems had to do with an injury. He basically didn't play last year after week 1. Even at that, his numbers last year were better than Drew's this year.

Warner has a career 66.3% comp. percentage. Bledsoe is a career 57.1% passer. There is no comparison.
:bf1:

I've been saying this all along but some people don't want to listen. :idunno: