PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps we underestimated Jacksonville?

Pride
09-26-2004, 04:23 PM
Maybe losing to them on the last play of the game isnt as bad as we once thought? They are looking like a strong team this year.

BAM
09-26-2004, 04:25 PM
I agree. They did the exact same thing today against Tenn that they did against us the first game.... marched down the field w/ 2:00 left to score the game winning TD. Looks like a good team! They are stepping up when they need to.

LtBillsFan66
09-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Indeed. The same was the case last year against the Eagles. Everyone said "oh, how could we lose to such a crappy Eagles team..." Well they went on to go to the NFC champ game.

It looks as though the Jags are a real team. Not like the pushover people made them out to be before week 1.

Mr. Cynical
09-26-2004, 05:02 PM
I think it was more that people overestimated the Bills rather than underestimating the Jaguars.

LtBillsFan66
09-26-2004, 05:02 PM
I think it was more that people overestimated the Bills rather than underestimating the Jaguars.
Maybe a bit of both...

Mr. Cynical
09-26-2004, 05:22 PM
Maybe a bit of both...
That's true. :smile:

RedEyE
09-26-2004, 05:29 PM
Oakland on the other hand....

Pride
09-26-2004, 05:43 PM
Hey! dont ruin my silver lining!

Losing 1 out of 2 to terrible teams is better than 2 out of 2!!!

DraftBoy
09-26-2004, 05:53 PM
Jacksonville was called one of the most underrated teams going into this regular season by alot of experts, its just the case that we as fans underestimated them most people expected them to be pretty decent.

RedEyE
09-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Hey! dont ruin my silver lining!

Losing 1 out of 2 to terrible teams is better than 2 out of 2!!!

:rofl:

madness
09-26-2004, 09:11 PM

...is looking pretty damn good against Tampa...

HenryRules
09-26-2004, 09:25 PM
I think they have what we need - playmakers and key guys at the end of the game. If Bledsoe starts leading key 4th quarter drives or our D starts causing turnovers or starts causing 3 and outs in the 4th, then we have a chance.

Football is a lot like chess IMO, the first 3 quarters are really just a setup for the final quarter - good finishers win the games and bad ones lose them. The rest of the game is really meaningless as long as you're in position to win and have big play guys.

Mr. Cynical
09-26-2004, 09:29 PM
If Bledsoe starts leading key 4th quarter drives......

madness
09-26-2004, 09:32 PM
I agree with you 100% We've had a team with no identity the last few years. All the pieces are coming together and a bye couldn't come at a better time. Just more time for the hunger to grow. The players and coaches see it and are ready for all the cylinders to start firing simultaneously.

ArcticWildMan
09-26-2004, 09:36 PM

Week one against Pitt they looked tough.

Any team with Big Ted and Warren Sapp isn't going to be a slouch.

colin
09-26-2004, 09:38 PM
the jags are a very strong team this year, best run D by miles and one of the best Ds overall.

The Raiders are pretty stacked too. Their O line is top 3 or 5 and just might be the best at pass protecting.

They have outstanding corners and a very solid D line too, they are 2 vets deep at QB and have wide reciever speed.

The two teams we lost to are two of the toughest teams to play against, they make every one they play (and themselves) look ugly.

HenryRules
09-26-2004, 09:49 PM
the jags are a very strong team this year, best run D by miles and one of the best Ds overall.

The Raiders are pretty stacked too. Their O line is top 3 or 5 and just might be the best at pass protecting.

They have outstanding corners and a very solid D line too, they are 2 vets deep at QB and have wide reciever speed.

The two teams we lost to are two of the toughest teams to play against, they make every one they play (and themselves) look ugly.

Unfortunately, I think 3 of the next 4 opponents we face all have similar calibre run defenses to the two that we have faced (Jets being the exception). Miami and Baltimore are not as far behind Jax's run D as you say (neither are we for that matter) and NE is right up there too. This year's stats may not bear that out, but two games is a useless dataset as far as statistics are concerned.

RedEyE
09-26-2004, 09:54 PM
...is looking pretty damn good against Tampa...

Tampa has yet to score an offensive TD this year.

HenryRules
09-26-2004, 09:58 PM
Tampa has yet to score an offensive TD this year.

I think this year and next we find out if Gruden was a one-trick pony or not.

I think Oakland was still using a variation of his offence last year, and didn't do much at all (injuries and bad coaching obviously also played a part). Tampa didn't exactly light it up either.

Maybe the league has figured him out.

RedEyE
09-26-2004, 10:01 PM

I think Oakland was still using a variation of his offence last year, and didn't do much at all (injuries and bad coaching obviously also played a part). Tampa didn't exactly light it up either.

I agree. When gruden took the Bucs to the Big Show, he did it using a Tony Dungy team. He's struggling.

northernbillfan
09-27-2004, 01:43 AM
It's not that we are alone in under estimating the Jags. It's that everyone else has as well.

Jacksonville plays a full 60 minute game. They never quit, curl up and die, or mail it in. The fight tooth and nail to the last second and it's working for them.

They picked Denver off with :44 seconds remaining. Beat us with :04 left, and won over the Titans in the dying seconds of todays game.

Typ0
09-27-2004, 01:54 AM
I never underestimated them...they played like vomit when we played them and they shouldn't have won.

Mr. Miyagi
09-27-2004, 04:00 AM
They picked Denver off with :44 seconds remaining.
It was given to them, compliments of Quentin Griffith. :(

Ebenezer
09-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Jacksonville is one of the worst 3-0 teams ever...more an indication of the state of the league right now...that team never would have beaten the Bills, Cowboys or 49ers of the 90s...

EDS
09-27-2004, 10:37 AM
Jacksonville is one of the worst 3-0 teams ever...more an indication of the state of the league right now...that team never would have beaten the Bills, Cowboys or 49ers of the 90s...

Completely agree. They are lucky to be 3-0. Their offense is terrible. It is way to early to make generalizations about "improved" teams from last year. Case in point is Detroit - they are improving, yes, but they are not a playoff team or even a contender until they prove something over the next 8-10 weeks.

Remember how bad New England looked at this point last year . . .

Jeff1220
09-27-2004, 12:49 PM
Completely agree. They are lucky to be 3-0. Their offense is terrible. It is way to early to make generalizations about "improved" teams from last year. Case in point is Detroit - they are improving, yes, but they are not a playoff team or even a contender until they prove something over the next 8-10 weeks.

Remember how bad New England looked at this point last year . . .
...or better yet, remember how good the Bills looked at this point last year.

mybills
09-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Jax finished out last year strong, and started out strong this year. I doubt they are just a 'lucky' team. I think they'll win quite a few games this year. Bills can still win quite a few games, too. They started against (as stated above) a 'strong' team, played half crappy against Oakland, rested up, and now they will play a team that looks nothing like they did last year. They could very well spank the Patsies and gain confidence/momentum. I hope so, anyway.

Earthquake Enyart
09-27-2004, 01:29 PM

That, and the fact that they gave up 2 #1's for Keyshawn, and at least 1 #1 for Gruden. It's catching up to them.

Earthquake Enyart
09-27-2004, 01:34 PM
Jacksonville still blows. They won't finish above .500

Cliff Klaven
09-27-2004, 01:56 PM
Jacksonville still blows. They won't finish above .500
I guess the same can be said about the Bills.

elltrain22
09-27-2004, 09:44 PM
Very good defense + timely offense + mistake-free football + good coaching= playoff contender.

It's a simple formula, that the Jags seem to have grasped completely...

Turf
09-27-2004, 10:49 PM
Maybe losing to them on the last play of the game isnt as bad as we once thought? They are looking like a strong team this year.

Perhaps we gave Jacksonsville optimism because we suck when it comes time to win. We have for the last 8 years.

Ebenezer
09-27-2004, 10:57 PM
Very good defense + timely offense + mistake-free football + good coaching= playoff contender.

It's a simple formula, that the Jags seem to have grasped completely...
it is often the formula for some very boring football...

BuffaloRanger
09-28-2004, 10:41 AM
STOP BLOWING THE JAGS!! GET OFF THEIR BANDWAGON!

Their Offense sucks. A missed FG, Moulds fumbles inside the 10 and they throw up two desperation passes in the final drive to beat the Bills. That's the story of the game. There is no way you can "spin" that loss to be "not so bad".

In both losses the Bills were outcoached - period. With a Rookie head coach and Rookie OC those things will happen.

EDS
09-28-2004, 02:43 PM
STOP BLOWING THE JAGS!! GET OFF THEIR BANDWAGON!

Their Offense sucks. A missed FG, Moulds fumbles inside the 10 and they throw up two desperation passes in the final drive to beat the Bills. That's the story of the game. There is no way you can "spin" that loss to be "not so bad".

In both losses the Bills were outcoached - period. With a Rookie head coach and Rookie OC those things will happen.

The bottom line is that if Moulds does not fumble twice Bills win in all likelihood.