PDA

View Full Version : Interesting take on Stanley Cup/Lockout

Đ²
09-27-2004, 09:00 PM
To make this all the more interesting -- and to demonstrate that as a hockey nation we are not beholden to the whims of the NHL corporate office in New York -- these junior hockey players should be allowed to play for hockey's holy grail, the Stanley Cup.

It sounds odd, but it could happen, and it should. As was made clear by Garth Woolsey in the Toronto Star on Sept. 17, the NHL does not actually own the Stanley Cup. The cup (originally and officially called the Dominion Challenge trophy) was donated in 1892 by Lord Stanley, the Earl of Derby and then Governor General of Canada, to be awarded to "the leading hockey team in Canada." In the early years, the trophy was a challenge cup for amateur teams. In 1926, the NHL was made the steward of the Stanley Cup. But the wording of the deed to the NHL said that if the league ceased to be the "world's premier hockey league" as demonstrated by its level of play, or upon the "dissolution" of the league, the trophy and the honour it represents would revert back to the Cup's trustees to award as they saw fit.

http://www.eye.net/eye/issue/issue_09.23.04/op/editorial.html

Dozerdog
09-27-2004, 09:05 PM
That's actually a brilliant idea.

Have the Junior teams in Canada (and /or from the rest of the world) along with the US/Canadian collegiate teams all compete for it.

northernbillfan
09-28-2004, 03:31 AM
That is damn brilliant.

The CHL should have it replace the memorial cup. I don't it should replace the Calder Cup in the AHL, as they are all affiliated with the NHL teams.

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-28-2004, 08:39 AM
2005 Stanley Cup winners - London Knights

What if Erie, Saginaw, Seattle, or any other American based teams win?

Đ²
09-28-2004, 08:47 AM
That's fine...it's not like a Canadian-based team has won it in a while :)

Đ²
09-28-2004, 08:48 AM
Major Junior is actually the heart & soul of Canadian hockey.

Always has been, always will be.

Myers57
09-28-2004, 10:23 AM
Wow thats kool, i dont know if I would want their names carved into the cup though...

Đ²
09-28-2004, 10:48 AM
Why? If you've actually been up close to the cup, there are lots of junior teams with their names engraved close to the top of the Cup from the early years. If you look in the bowl, there's a team from Kenora that won it, complete with all team member's names.

ticatfan
09-28-2004, 02:47 PM
Why? If you've actually been up close to the cup, there are lots of junior teams with their names engraved close to the top of the Cup from the early years. If you look in the bowl, there's a team from Kenora that won it, complete with all team member's names.Renfrew almost got their name on the cup.But we since my ticats are not going to win the lord grey then we should give the lord stanley to them.

Đ²
09-28-2004, 03:19 PM
LOL, Pembroke Lumber Kings