PDA

View Full Version : Where did the offenses go?

Michael82
09-28-2004, 09:44 AM
I was listening to WGR550 on my way home from work and they brought up something that made me wonder....

Where did all the offenses go?

If you look at the scores from this weekend, 4 teams scored in the single digits, 1 team didn't score at all. Hell, 12 teams scored UNDER 20 pts. So, what happened? Why are teams struggling to put up points? Honestly, The Bills are not even in the bottom 5 for offense and that's pathetic! I think the Bills fall somewhere in the bottom 8 for their offense. Here's my bottom 10 (not in any set order)...

Miami Dolphins
Cleveland Browns
Arizona Cardinals
San Fransisco 49ers
Cincinnati Bengals
Tampa Bay Bucs
Jacksonville Jaguars
Buffalo Bills
Pittsburgh Steelers
Detroit Lions

Dr. Optimist, SB
09-28-2004, 09:47 AM
I was listening to WGR550 on my way home from work and they brought up something that made me wonder....

If you look at the scores from this weekend, 4 teams scored in the single digits, 1 team didn't score at all. Hell, 12 teams scored UNDER 20 pts. So, what happened? Why are teams struggling to put up points? Honestly, The Bills are not even in the bottom 5 for offense and that's pathetic! I think the Bills fall somewhere in the bottom 8 for their offense. Here's my bottom 10 (not in any set order)...

Miami Dolphins
Cleveland Browns
Arizona Cardinals
San Fransisco 49ers
Cincinnati Bengals
Tampa Bay Bucs
Jacksonville Jaguars
Buffalo Bills
Pittsburgh Steelers
Detroit Lions
Its Drews fault dummy :)

Pride
09-28-2004, 10:01 AM
Ya know... I have been wondering the same thing as well. I think it is lack of intelligence at the QB spot if you ask me.

Brady and Manning... best QBs in the league
Favre close behind.

Everyone else I consider in a lower tier, most of which are not intelligent enough to lead an offense efficiently.

IMO, the NFL needs to correct this in some way, because the game is suffering. When a team is 3-0 with only scoring 30 some points (Jax) it is a scary statistic

justasportsfan
09-28-2004, 10:02 AM
teams are running more.

Dr. Optimist, SB
09-28-2004, 10:05 AM
Better defenses. IMO, our offense isnt as bad as most of you think. We played two very good defenses in the first two games and made some stupid mistakes.

Michael82
09-28-2004, 10:07 AM
Ya know... I have been wondering the same thing as well. I think it is lack of intelligence at the QB spot if you ask me.

Brady and Manning... best QBs in the league
Favre close behind.

Everyone else I consider in a lower tier, most of which are not intelligent enough to lead an offense efficiently.

IMO, the NFL needs to correct this in some way, because the game is suffering. When a team is 3-0 with only scoring 30 some points (Jax) it is a scary statistic
Agreed. And this new penalty that some are enforcing is not helping to add scoring either. :shakeno:

i don't know what they have to do, but I was bored watching some of the games this weeekend (except for the Pack/Colts game) and that's unusual. Everyone seems to want to do the same thing, ball control, run the ball, and control the clock. Plus the defenses are much better than the offenses, so that doesn't help either.

Pride
09-28-2004, 10:27 AM
The turnover with coaching in the NFL is what is causing this. Think about it. We havent had a standard offense here since 1995. 9 years with trying new offenses, because we have had 3 different head coaches, and a dozen coordinators since Levy.

G. Host
09-28-2004, 10:57 AM
Teams have not learned to adjust to rule changes and change in emphasis; in addition due to number of injuries this year many offenses are not in sync yet. Defenses are capible of getting in sync a lot quicker IF YOU HAVE GOOD TACKLERS!

Michael82
09-28-2004, 11:57 AM
The turnover with coaching in the NFL is what is causing this. Think about it. We havent had a standard offense here since 1995. 9 years with trying new offenses, because we have had 3 different head coaches, and a dozen coordinators since Levy.
That's true. Most of the teams on my list have either had a new head coaching with the last 2 years or have had new offensive coaches added.

colin
09-28-2004, 11:58 AM
I wrote what i thought was a good post about this, but no one replied :<

I did it like 10 days ago, pointing out horrible Os and QB play, and how only teams that are doing quite well running the ball are having successful Os.

anyhow, I think it is because with the ways the current Os play, and all the above mentioned contribute to that,

1 O linemen are simply not good enough to handle D linemen and Line backers.
2 Secondary players and deffensive schemes are good enough to make playmaking passes very hard in most circumstances.

the talent and minds on the deffensive side of the ball are such that they can make quick adjustments to oponents, they can assimilate new players and schemes quickly (very important with the player movement and coach instability).

Also, teams have moved away from the big play type of O to to more dink and dunk, and deffenses are no longer surprised by it. even great Ds give up big plays now (makes me think they are more aggresive and looking for shorter yard plays) but teams all over are smashing and crashing short plays, hitting harder and forcing fumbles and players to get knocked out.

someone will come up with some cool new idea though, and everyone will copy it, but only teams with great players will win anything, but the "new system" will be the last piece of the puzzle, so it will get all the attention.

Michael82
09-28-2004, 12:02 PM
Hell, you could even add the Titans and Chiefs to this list. They have really been struggling with putting up points too.

Michael82
09-28-2004, 12:06 PM
I wrote what i thought was a good post about this, but no one replied :<

I did it like 10 days ago, pointing out horrible Os and QB play, and how only teams that are doing quite well running the ball are having successful Os.

anyhow, I think it is because with the ways the current Os play, and all the above mentioned contribute to that,

1 O linemen are simply not good enough to handle D linemen and Line backers.
2 Secondary players and deffensive schemes are good enough to make playmaking passes very hard in most circumstances.

the talent and minds on the deffensive side of the ball are such that they can make quick adjustments to oponents, they can assimilate new players and schemes quickly (very important with the player movement and coach instability).

Also, teams have moved away from the big play type of O to to more dink and dunk, and deffenses are no longer surprised by it. even great Ds give up big plays now (makes me think they are more aggresive and looking for shorter yard plays) but teams all over are smashing and crashing short plays, hitting harder and forcing fumbles and players to get knocked out.

someone will come up with some cool new idea though, and everyone will copy it, but only teams with great players will win anything, but the "new system" will be the last piece of the puzzle, so it will get all the attention.
Good post. You just made me think of something...

The NFL is copying the Patriots offense, the dink and dunk, and ball control, clock management offense. :doh: i should have figured this out earlier. It makes so much sense.

SABURZFAN
09-28-2004, 12:12 PM

Miami Dolphins
Cleveland Browns
Arizona Cardinals
San Fransisco 49ers
Cincinnati Bengals
Tampa Bay Bucs
Jacksonville Jaguars
Buffalo Bills
Pittsburgh Steelers
Detroit Lions

i don't think that jacksonville is a bottom 10 team.

Michael82
09-28-2004, 12:23 PM
i don't think that jacksonville is a bottom 10 team.
I said a bottom 10 offense. No, they aren't a bottom 10 team, but they also are NOT a 3-0 team either.