PDA

View Full Version : Joe Gibbs needed help from Greg Williams?

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-29-2004, 08:23 AM
I didn't see that part of the game, but did Greg Williams really run over to Joe Gibbs and give him advice on when not to take a timeout? I've said it before, the game has to of passed Gibbs bye, you can't leave the game for 10 years and come back and be great. Next coach of the Washington Redskins Greg Williams?

Ebenezer
09-29-2004, 08:31 AM
I didn't see that part of the game, but did Greg Williams really run over to Joe Gibbs and give him advice on when not to take a timeout? I've said it before, the game has to of passed Gibbs bye, you can't leave the game for 10 years and come back and be great. Next coach of the Washington Redskins Greg Williams?
lack of a TO might have cost Washington the game...

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-29-2004, 08:35 AM
Woops, I thought I was in the football forum when I posted this.

BAM
09-29-2004, 08:37 AM
I noticed that. GW ran over to Gibbs and pleaded for him to not take the timeout, but he didn't listen. My guess is he is wishing he would've listened now.

ryjam282
09-29-2004, 08:49 AM
Imagine that...Someone wishing they listened to Gregg...Now that is comedy.

NC-BILLS44
09-29-2004, 09:54 AM
Wasn't that time out at the end of the first half??? That had no bearing on the lack of time out in the second half. Williams just wanted the clock to run down so the defense wouldn't have to hold at the end of the half.

THATHURMANATOR
09-29-2004, 11:06 AM

You are way off here man. Williams told him not to and it cost them a td IMO. Williams is an idiot.

Ebenezer
09-29-2004, 11:13 AM
You are way off here man. Williams told him not to and it cost them a td IMO. Williams is an idiot.
or you could argue that they needed that time out for the end of the game (but they ended up blowing the TO that GW would have saved anyway)

BillsRockSOMUCH
09-29-2004, 12:01 PM
or you could argue that they needed that time out for the end of the game (but they ended up blowing the TO that GW would have saved anyway)
It happened in the first half, it had nothing to do with the lack of timeouts they had at the end of the game.

Ebenezer
09-29-2004, 12:04 PM
my mistake...

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-29-2004, 12:22 PM
What am I way off on? I didn't see the play. Or because I think Gibbs is done as a head coach.

LABillzFan
09-29-2004, 12:51 PM

This is exactly what happened. After calling a running play on first and goal at about the two, Gibbs was starting to call a time out with 52 seconds on the clock, but GW tried to talk him out of it so they wouldn't leave Dallas any time after they scored. By the time Gibbs made up his mind and DID call a time out, too much time ran off the clock. They ran a second running play, and got stuffed, called their last time out with about 8 seconds on the clock...not enough time to do anything other than pass on third down to give a chance for the field goal if the pass falls incomplete.

Dallas knew it was a pass play. In fact, the whole world knew it was a pass play...and it ended up getting blown up. Absolutely DISMAL clock management and that entire series cost them the game.

Al Michaels commented...and I tend to agree...that one of Gibb's problems is that since he was last a coach in this league, the play clock changed from 45 seconds to 40 seconds. At first I didn't think five seconds would matter that much, but the truth is, they were CONSTANTLY late getting to the line.