PDA

View Full Version : Ever Meet a Bill's player?

BUFFALONRTH76
09-29-2004, 05:29 PM
When I was a teen ( I live in Ont, Canada) My Ma sent me to the Jim Kelly celebrity Football Camp in Olean.. It was the summer between their second and third Superbowl appearance... I was a young QB here in Canada lol, and when I went to my first practice ended up being the odd man out without a partner to throw to. Jim volunteered his services, and for a complete afternoon my Childhood/Teenage dream was fulfilled... I got to play catch with Jim Kelly for an afternoon... I met many Bills, and other NFL Players as well that week, but that memory of the first day of camp will stand out in my mind for the rest of my life. Jim always recognized me the rest of the week, and that made the camp a little more personal to me... I'll forever be a Bills fan... Through thick and thin... And even thinner, if need be!!!

:gobills:

:jetsuck:

cordog
09-29-2004, 06:03 PM
Hey I was at the camp too! Summer 1992. It was cool getting tips from NFL players and having them watch you play tag football. It was an awesome time. I also met Peerless Price on a flight from Cleveland to Buffalo the year he was a rookie. I was coming home for leave and he was reporting to training camp. He was asking me about Fredonia and things. He seemed like a pretty cool guy

BUFFALONRTH76
09-29-2004, 07:02 PM
That was a great camp! I had a blast!! Some memories i'll cherish forever!

:gobills:

The_Philster
09-29-2004, 07:12 PM
I've met BRUCE and Thurman Thomas at the Big Tree after a few games...Let's see...who else?
Tasker, Metzelaars, Al Bemiller(fun guy to party with), Billy Shaw, and then the usuals with getting autographs

BAM
09-29-2004, 07:16 PM
No but I have met coach Mularkey! He was with the Steelers at the time. Had some drinks w/ him and Bill Cowher. :up:

FTG
09-29-2004, 07:32 PM
when the Bills used to have training camp here in Fredonia I met many of them. They were always in the local bars

Romes
09-29-2004, 07:34 PM
I was the assitant coach on Quinn Early's sons hockey team. It was the year that he signed with the Bills. It was kinda funny, cause at first I didn't recognize him. He came to practice all dressed in Bills stuff. I went up to him and told him I was a Bills fan. He was like, "yeah i play for them." When he said that it didn't hit me and I started blabbing something about how I thought they were gonna do that year. He repeated what he said again then it finally hit me and I didn't know what to say. He was a really cool guy though, he was also a pretty good hockey player.

Rude American
09-29-2004, 07:58 PM
I've met a few Bills. As a matter of fact, my next door neighbor's name was Bill. I also had an uncle named Bill.

Dantheman1280
09-29-2004, 08:18 PM
i went to Jim Kelly football camp in 01 and broke my arm the first day! It sucked but for the Rest of the days of the camp I got to chill with the man him self Jim Kelly! It was the best!! I have also met tasker, billy brooks, frank reich, and peete metzalars they were all at a bar down here in Fl I was only like 8 but I met them!

Iehoshua
09-29-2004, 08:24 PM
I met Cirroc Lofton, a relative of James Lofton (and Kenny Lofton of the Yankees). He played Jake Sisko in the series 'Star Trek Deep Space Nine.'

Does that count? :biggrin:

Jeff1220
09-29-2004, 08:31 PM
I met Chuch Knox, Joe Ferguson, and most of the rest of the 1982 team, outside the stadium when they were returning from running some drills over at the ECC fields.
I met Reed, Mueller, McKeller, Wright, and Kidd very briefly at the Rhine Haus in Rome after a charity bball game.
I met Daryll Talley when I was going to Nazareth and he was the manager of the McDonalds in Pittsford (1993)

Billsouth
09-29-2004, 08:51 PM
i know he is not a bill, but i recently met and coached little league with ricky proehl of the panthers. in my life i have met ...jim kelly, bruce, thurman, kelso (really great), the entire 91 and 92 bills teams. i have also met other sports greats like cal ripken (lived in roch as a kid and he played with the wings), president bush (Sr) and others. i say this not to be a scmuck but to say that ricky proehl was the classiest and most down to earth professional athlete that i have ever met. he signed autos after every game and came to every practice and played.

for whatever it is worth, (and i recently have posted against db) he said that he believed that drew bledsoe was a really really good qb who had some good years left

PUCKER
09-29-2004, 10:04 PM
I have met Nate Odomes and Thurman Thomas at an autograph signing years ago in Lancaster. Nate was really cool!

Dozerdog
09-29-2004, 10:10 PM
My name is Bill- I've been told I'm a "Playa"

GreenMachine
09-29-2004, 10:53 PM
I waited on Jim Kelly before. He sure likes his Crown Royal!!!!

tampabay25690
09-29-2004, 11:24 PM
Wow, I guess I have been very fortunate..............

I have met many different players threw the years.... I use to work for Jim Kelly when he had his celebrity football shootouts.....So I have about 10-15 items signed from him to me...My GF from high school babysat for Thurman I was at his house back in 94 he lived in Cheektowaga off Losson he gave me many signed items also. To this day I know Dashon Polk, (who use to come to my restaurant in Tonawanda) who now plays for Houston I have been to his house and have went out with him, he use to be roomates with Freddie Jones LB now with KC. So I got hang out with them a few times, when Houston came to Tampa I was able to talk to Dashon. I have been to Jerry Butlers football camp from 92-95. So I have met many guys thre there.

Many others I have met threw the years Antowain Smith I had a cocktail with at a bar.......WOW many others but I dont have time to write ......

The_Philster
09-30-2004, 02:59 AM
Many others I have met threw the years Antowain Smith I had a cocktail with at a bar.......WOW many others but I dont have time to write ......I met him at training camp his rookie year. I spent most of a week at camp that year and there were only a handful of people who knew who he was. We chatted about Buffalo and the Bills a bit got a picture taken with him. The following year, I went to have him autograph it..took a bit longer than it would've the previous yerar...he was mobbed. :laughter:

Dr. Optimist, SB
09-30-2004, 05:27 AM
I met Frank Reich last year. He is from the town I live in and my boss hooked me up with being able to meet him at a golf tournement. Really cool guy! I said "wow the comeback kid"....was pretty lame of me when i think back lol.

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-30-2004, 06:01 AM
When I was a little kid Jim Haslett lived two doors down from my grandmother and we went over to his house. He invited my brother and I in the house and we sat in his kitchen talking with him. He gave us an autograph picture that I still have today.

OpIv37
09-30-2004, 07:32 AM
when the Bills used to have training camp here in Fredonia I met many of them. They were always in the local bars

Ha- the year I started going to Fredonia was the year they moved the camp to Rochester (where I'm originally from).

But I went to Kelly's football camp in either 95 or 96 at RIT- Met Jim (he was there for almost the entire camp), Jeff Burris and Ruben Brown. I also met Frank Reich after he did a sermon at a suburban Rochester church.