PDA

View Full Version : Remember when.....

Patrick76777
09-30-2004, 12:25 PM
Chicago was invincible, Mike Ditka was a genius and the Bears would never lose again?

Or when SF was invincible, Bill Walsh was a genius and the 49ers would never lose again?

Remember when Jimmy Johnson was a genius and he went to Miami and they were going to win 10 Superbowls?

Or what about when Baltimore won the Superbowl and Brian Billick was a genius and the Ravens were never going to lose again?

Mr. Miyagi
09-30-2004, 12:26 PM
No. When was that?

chernobylwraiths
09-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Chicago was invincible, Mike Ditka was a genius and the Bears would never lose again?

Or when SF was invincible, Bill Walsh was a genius and the 49ers would never lose again?

Remember when Jimmy Johnson was a genius and he went to Miami and they were going to win 10 Superbowls?

Or what about when Baltimore won the Superbowl and Brian Billick was a genius and the Ravens were never going to lose again?

:pray: for the day when Mularkey is considered a genius.

OpIv37
09-30-2004, 12:28 PM
Um... I think you guys missed Patrick's point. He was talking about Belichek and the Patriots- he's damn good, but his reign will end eventually (hopefully).

Mr. Miyagi
09-30-2004, 12:31 PM
Or the Rams being the Greatest Show on Turf with waaay too many weapons.

Or the Cowboys with Emmitt and Aikman and Irvin with too many weapons.

Patrick76777
Um... I think you guys missed Patrick's point. He was talking about Belichek and the Patriots- he's damn good, but his reign will end eventually (hopefully).

League catches up to everybody! Always has happened always will happen. Just a matter of time.

Iehoshua

Of course it will end. The Rams 'Greatest Show on Turf" has been snuffed out. Dick Vermiel's translation of that offense to KC is beginning to lose steam and fast. All schemes can be countered. The Pats are on the clock.

Patrick76777
09-30-2004, 12:32 PM
Watching Patriots games and hearing people talk about him, you’d think Belichek discovered the cure for Polio.

chernobylwraiths
League catches up to everybody! Always has happened always will happen. Just a matter of time.

I know what you meant. The league also caught up with the K-gun. But it will be nice when we are considered a dominant team for years to come again.

Mr. Miyagi
Too bad Arizona keeps missing its turn to be good.

OpIv37
09-30-2004, 12:35 PM
Watching Patriots games and hearing people talk about him, you’d think Belichek discovered the cure for Polio.

Same with Brady- according to Pats fans and John Madden, he's Joe Montana, Joe Theismann, Dan Marino and John Elway rolled into one.

TedMock
09-30-2004, 12:43 PM
The Patriots are unique in that they are the definition of "team." They also have one heck of a coaching staff. Teamwork and intelligence wins over the more "talented" teams in this league. I hope Buffalo follows this system one day. I can't include the Pats in my next comment because of what I just mentioned. The NFL got exactly what it wanted. Just about everybody has a chance. Every team is a few breaks away from 4-12 or 10-6. 7-9 to 9-7 is where most teams should finish. The Pats just know how to win. That's a talent that doesn't show on the stat sheet or during physical tests. That's why they're so unique in today's game. The Panthers seem to be getting it.

The 49'ers, Giants, Redskins, and Bears in the 80's were just dominant teams, physically. Same as the Cowboys in the 90's. Go back further to the Dolphins or Steelers in the 70's, etc. Different league, different times. Is all this good? Well, we'll always have a chance. I don't know if we'll ever see teams dominate like they used to. We'll also never see teams suck for 10 year periods again either. Just an opinion.

justasportsfan
09-30-2004, 12:47 PM
Watching Patriots games and hearing people talk about him, you’d think Belichek discovered the cure for Polio.If he did then Drew would be able to move around the pocket.

TedMock
09-30-2004, 12:50 PM
Same with Brady- according to Pats fans and John Madden, he's Joe Montana, Joe Theismann, Dan Marino and John Elway rolled into one.

Funny you mention that. I went home for lunch and caught a little special on Steve DeBerg. They went into how he's played with so many great QB's and how he taught all these more talented guys how to play. Young, Marino, Elway, etc. One of the guys who went to DeBerg for council on the sideline was Joe Montana. DeBerg said that he still can't figure out why Montana was so good. He used the word "intangibles" and went on to say how the guy wasn't physically gifted, not the most accurate he's been around, not a very strong arm, etc. He said Steve Young was the most athletic QB he'd ever seen, Elway had the most powerful motion and velocity he'd ever seen coming into a throw...the harder he threw the more accurate he was which is rare, and Marino was the slowest QB he'd ever seen, yet he was unbelievably elusive and accurate on the move. Good stuff from who I believe is the greatest backup ever.

Mr. Miyagi
09-30-2004, 12:51 PM
Nothing personal Ted but all I heard was:

"blah blah blah Do blah blah blah you blah blah blah love blah blah blah me blah blah blah Tom blah blah blah yes blah blah blah or blah blah blah no blah blah blah".

TedMock
09-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Nothing personal Ted but all I heard was:

"blah blah blah Do blah blah blah you blah blah blah love blah blah blah me blah blah blah Tom blah blah blah yes blah blah blah or blah blah blah no blah blah blah".

Truth is, I hate Tom Brady. Don't read into it too much. I was stating my opinion on how the league is today and what teams seem to get it. It was long, are you not used to reading that much since a few long winded posts aren't around anymore?

Mr. Miyagi
09-30-2004, 01:00 PM
I just can't stand any more praises to the Pats. The media is already crowning Brady the king, which makes me want to hang myself.

TedMock
09-30-2004, 01:03 PM
I just can't stand any more praises to the Pats. The media is already crowning Brady the king, which makes me want to hang myself.

I have to agree with you there. That's why I can't stand him. I think he's a good QB, but way overrated. I also hate that gay "hand on top of his shaking head" look that he has when he wins. Way too metrosexual.

Ickybaluky
09-30-2004, 01:16 PM

You mean he didn't?

I don't see Theismann...

Jeff1220
09-30-2004, 01:27 PM
Last night on PTI, they actually brought up the possibility that, with all the early season focus on McNabb, Vick, and Manning, Tom Brady is now being underrated as a QB... :tap:

...then Tony K. proceeded to lick Brady's kornheiser.

OpIv37
09-30-2004, 01:56 PM

You mean he didn't?

I don't see Theismann...

Sorry I meant to say "Same with Brady- according to Pats fans and John Madden, he's Joe Montana, Dan Marino, John Elway, Steve Young and Jesus Christ rolled into one."

Mr. Miyagi
09-30-2004, 02:01 PM
Sorry I meant to say "Same with Brady- according to Pats fans and John Madden, he's Joe Montana, Dan Marino, John Elway, Steve Young and Jesus Christ rolled into one."
:rofl: Don't forget Johnny Holmes.