PDA

View Full Version : Bills-Patriots Pregame Primer

shelby
10-03-2004, 10:24 AM
From our resident expert, Ingtar:

Well, we're back from a bye, and riding the wave of an 0-2 start to the season. Well, I suppose it could be worse... somehow. The Bills have shown little life in these two games, and to be honest I don't think i've seen a team so devoid of big time plays in a very long time. What's hurting us right now is that the Bills don't seem to be playing to win, but to not lose. Well, we as Bills fans can only hope the team will get its act together for this very brutal test this week. This week, the Bills find themselves up against the NE Pats, not only the defending Superbowl champs but a team that has owned the NFL for 17 straight wins. This would be a brutal game in the best of circumstances. The Game against Oakland brought my picks record to 1-1 in both picking winners and point spreads. Well, enough hand wringing, on to the review.
Get in the Zone! (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2004/10/03/billspatriots_pregame_primer.php)

:gobills:

FlyingElvis
10-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Ingstar33 calls Eugene Wilson the weak point in the Pats secondary. Wilson was named AFC defensive player of the month. He's pretty solid.

casdhf
10-03-2004, 11:09 AM
Ingstar33 calls Eugene Wilson the weak point in the Pats secondary. Wilson was named AFC defensive player of the month. He's pretty solid.

Well, I think Wilson does well as a blitzer, but I think Ing said he sucks in coverage?

Marino13Phins
10-03-2004, 11:10 AM
Well, I think Wilson does well as a blitzer, but I think Ing said he sucks in coverage?

Agreed. With the new rules on defense the pats DB's aren't what they used to be, no one is. But I have noticed a bigger drop off with the pats and their coverage skills.

Ingtar33
10-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Willson is a sometimes playmaker... mostly though he's a defensive liability in coverage.

Ingtar33
10-03-2004, 01:06 PM
Here is the artical... for some reason it's unreadable on the web page

Well, we're back from a bye, and riding the wave of an 0-2 start to the season. Well, I suppose it could be worse... somehow. The Bills have shown little life in these two games, and to be honest I don't think i've seen a team so devoid of big time plays in a very long time. What's hurting us right now is that the Bills don't seem to be playing to win, but to not lose. Well, we as Bills fans can only hope the team will get its act together for this very brutal test this week. This week, the Bills find themselves up against the NE Pats, not only the defending Superbowl champs but a team that has owned the NFL for 17 straight wins. This would be a brutal game in the best of circumstances. The Game against Oakland brought my picks record to 1-1 in both picking winners and point spreads. Well, enough hand wringing, on to the review.

When the Bills have the Ball
The Bills offense has shown us precious few signs of life these first two games. While they controlled the clock and for the most part, the game against the Jags, they didn't get the job done, and against the Raiders they were pathetic. The Bills' O-line has shown little to no ability to open holes for the RBs, we're attempting to be a "running" team, and are succeeding to put up a 2.7 ypc, and the 2nd worse rushing yards per game in the AFC, to... you guessed it, the Dolphins. Throw in the 8 sacks in 2 games, and you've got a good idea of how wonderful the o-line has been playing.

This week it gets no easier. We come home to play the NE Patriots, who are sporting one of the leagues best defenses. Is their Defense as good as last season's? No, they aren't. This year's Pats team has a serious problem stopping the run... mostly due to the fact they've lost Ted Washington. Its amazing how big a difference Ted was, as they now are giving up close to 125 yards per game on the ground, compared to 90 last year. Well, the pats still are brutal to throw against, and to be honest, if the Bills are going to have a chance to move the ball against NE this Sunday, they'll need to do it mostly on the ground. I don't trust our O-line in a passing "duel" with Tom Brady. If we can't run against NE, we won't run against pretty much any team in the league.
Match-up to Watch Eugene Wilson is really the weak point in the Pats secondary. Belichick does an amazing job protecting him... by using him more in blitz and over the top zone coverage. Watch for Evans or Moulds trying to get deep against Wilson, there can be big plays to be had there.
Small Tip The Pats have had their best success against us when we're playing behind, because thats when Belichick can start to throw his exotic blitz packages at us. If we fall behind early this will be a groan fest for bills fans.
Prediction The Bills offense has been struggling so much you have to wonder when it will break it's funk. Don't expect it to be this weekend, as the Pats will keep our O in check most of the day.

When the Patriots have the Ball

The Pats bring the modern day equivalent of the Run 'n Shoot offense into Buffalo, as they are completely comfortable to spread the field, and run off 50 straight passing plays, without a running back on the field. They've got a collection of small fast WRs, and decent pass catching TEs. Cory Dillon just adds to the headaches a defensive coordinator will have trying to reign in the Pats. Throw in the fact, that Tom Brady looks better than i've ever seen him this year. Its an almost frightening thing to say, but Brady looks like a future hall of Famer now... his passes are sharp, his accuracy better, and his command of the team is superb. He could possibly be the best QB in the NFL today. This game will be a challenge for the Bills' defense. While we do sport one of the finest defenses in the league, the Pats will try to eat us alive with 10 yard passing routs, and Cory Dillon draws and screen plays.
Match-up to Watch Coy Wire vs. Dan Graham. Simply point is this, if you have Graham on your fantasy team i'd play him today. This is a major mismatch.
Small Tip The Bills defense will have to play out of their minds on Sunday for us to have even a small chance. Watch for the Bills to try to break the Pats rhythm by playing a bit more man up bump and run than they normally do... mixed in with a lot of zone blitzing.
Prediction This is the match up where the game will be won or lost. To be honest i haven't seen anything form the team that makes me think this will go well for us. Look for the Pats to roll up 24-35 points on Sunday.

Intangibles and Conclusions
Well, the Bills return game has been showing signs of life in both the preseason and regular season. Of course those penalties should leave you pulling your hair out. We better pray for the unlikely Bills blowout, for in a close game out kicking game will simply not be good enough to get it done. The Bills will be facing a Pats team that has nothing but bad memories of the last time they visited "the Ralph", and will be motivated to avenge those ghosts. I simply don't see us matching up to the defending world champs in any way. As much as it pains me to say I think we're in for another long day and will be staring at an 0-3 record come 4pm. The line on this game is New England by 6... I'll take the Points and the Pats today. Patriots 27-Bills 10

ArcticWildMan
10-03-2004, 01:07 PM
Well, the Bills return game has been showing signs of life in both the preseason and regular season...

You called that one right Ingtar!! :up: