PDA

View Full Version : How does the team correct this?

Charlieguide
10-03-2004, 08:15 PM
OK, I have to admit that I honestly thought the Bills had a chance in this one. Watching the ticker at work isn't the way to see a game, and neither is reading about it or catching highlights, so I'd like to hear everyone's (most constructive) thoughts.

Reading what I can find (Bills Daily, box scores, game summaries, etc), it sounds to me like the Bills had some very high moments in this game. KO returned for a TD, Moulds' third TD, Moorman's blazing speed, and 3.5 quarters of matching the Pats point-for-point.

So what went wrong, and what can be done?

Drew got rid of the ball faster (until the last few minutes), looked good deep, but had trouble over the middle. Needs to find confidence and continue to reduce mental errors (the two go hand in hand).

Henry had a solid game, but tripped :whatthe: on 3d and 1. Needs to find confidence and reduce mental errors (see above).

OL played solid despite losing Teague and Jennings, until late in the game, when they opened the door. Depth needs to play as well as starters; that's the beauty and pressure of the NFL.

DL totaled 2.5 tackles, no sacks, but the did hold Dillon to less than 100 yards. Every one of them needs to step up their play.

DB's are having serious trouble. Wire is getting beaten deep, McGee seems to give up plays on request, and now Vincent is hurt, too. If they can't handle single-coverage, they need to develop schemes and zone coverage skills to make up for it.

COACHES OK, here's my real beef. They went into this game preaching the importance of making no mistakes against a team that capitalizes on every one, and the team came out with 98 yards in penalties, two turnovers, a fumbled snap on a punt (don't ignore that even though it worked out!), an untouched trip for a loss when only a yard is needed, blown coverage, and an insistence to blitz despite getting nowhere near the qb and getting consistently burned.

What do they do? Don't give the team a day off; make them sit and watch film all day. Film of their mistakes, and keep a tally. Call out every player that makes the smallest mistake; make it absolutely clear that mistakes are noticed, and they cost the team. Perhaps impose a "three strikes" rule, where players lose playing time for multiple mistakes. I'm sick and tired of hearing coaches discuss discipline, but not hearing a word about accountability. The two go hand-in-hand! The players need to know what is expected of them, believe they can accomplish it, and understand the consequences of failure. If any one of these three things is missed, no amount of strategy, planning, or even skill can provide consistent winning.

Finally, Jerry Gray needs to break out of the Gregg Williams mold and realize that he must develop schemes to make the most of his players, and cover their weaknesses, and adjust mid-game. This defense is ok, but it could be much better if it was less predictable.

Mr. Cynical
10-03-2004, 08:43 PM
Fire TD and start over.

ryjam282
10-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Just give up.

Charlieguide
10-03-2004, 09:43 PM
WTF is with you guys? I try to have a truly interesting conversation, and you come back with crap like that? It's all well and good to post your own criticisms, or fuel the fire of negative threads, but try to rise up to the challenge and look at things through different eyes . . . at least when you're asked to. If you can't do that, don't respond to the post.

Typ0
10-03-2004, 09:46 PM
Coy Wire sucks at the position he's playing...I wish someone would step up and tell me why we have such exploitable weaknesses and we are under the cap. TD is a lame ass loser manager looking to up his bonuses instead of making the team successful.

chernobylwraiths
10-03-2004, 09:50 PM
I'll try.

They HAVE to eliminate more of their mistakes. They have to hope that Milloy's arm gets better real soon. They ARE just a few plays from a good season. They need to make those plays or at least have a ball bounce their way for once.

I am not a doom and gloom guy. There have been a lot of solid things that I have liked about their play. I have not liked their playcalling as a whole though. They were successful deep twice in the first half and they didn't even TRY to go deep once in the second. They started getting successful running the ball in the second half, even if they were somewhat stuffed on first down, then they tried to pass the ball.

Special teams looks like it will be a strongpoint this year if they can eliminate the penalties on them.

They just lost to the defending superbowl champs. I can take that. Now comes the Jets. A team that is IMO on a par with us. I think this should be another close game. We HAVE to take this one, especially if it is close. If we continue to lose the close games, that will affect the team mentally and they will feel that we can't win the close ones. For crying out loud, I just want to feel a win again!

juice
10-03-2004, 09:51 PM
The defensive Weakpoints were a total lack of a pass rush from the DE position and our obvious Liability in pass coverage.

Our DEs are overpaid and lack talent.. Schobel has been MIA for 3 weeks and Wire should play ST full time.

mchurchfie
10-03-2004, 09:56 PM
WTF is with you guys? I try to have a truly interesting conversation, and you come back with crap like that? It's all well and good to post your own criticisms, or fuel the fire of negative threads, but try to rise up to the challenge and look at things through different eyes . . . at least when you're asked to. If you can't do that, don't respond to the post.
You might want to try this this thread in about three days when everyone is cooled down. Right now most of us are bitterly disappointed and are getting sick and tired of seeing the same thing game after game, year after year. The only thing we are thinking about right now is a constructive way to hang TD and drew up by their balls and make them go away.

ryjam282
10-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Yeah, what he said. Give us some time to cool off. It's just frustrating to plan your day around your team and get that kind of output week in and week out. It's pathetic.

HenryRules
10-03-2004, 10:01 PM
I don't think we can do much in-season to fix this. We're not a talented team and it's hard to improve your talent midseason.

Once the offseason starts we need to remove TD. I don't think he's drafted well and a lot of his contracts leave a lot to be desired (Bledsoe, Teague, Milloy, Prileau, Lindell are all players that received contracts that weren't warranted). I don't think he's good at managing the cap - he just doesn't bring in good players, so those that he overpays aren't as damaging. End result is our cap is filled with overpaid mediocre players - I'd prefer eventually leading to cap hell by overpaying talented players. An ultimate goal would be to fill the cap with appropriately valued good players - with our management luck recently, I'm dismissing the dream of actual having players play under contracts that are below market value.

Once TD is gone, we need to redo the scouting organization. This was once a strength of the team, but our recent drafts have been below average at best.

Then we can start on free agents and such. But I think the fixin has to start with the management - leaving things like improving the OL, or getting a new QB, or whatever, in the hands of Donahoe is just guaranteeing that it won't work out.

Mr. Cynical
10-03-2004, 10:10 PM
End result is our cap is filled with overpaid mediocre players - I'd prefer eventually leading to cap hell by overpaying talented players.
:10:

Ickybaluky
10-03-2004, 10:40 PM
I think Mike Williams should move inside to tackle. Start Price at RT and start Williams at OG (move Smith to the bench).

That would be a start up front. Keep playing Evans, as the rookie has to play to get better. Your TE's aren't that good, so you should use more 3-WR sets. Henry is real effective running out of spread sets anyway.

Defense and ST are solid.

hwc
10-03-2004, 10:41 PM
OK, I have to admit that I honestly thought the Bills had a chance in this one.

The Bills played hard and were tied at the end of three quarters, despite killing themselves with some very costly penalties. The kick return TD, Dillon's fumble on the goal-line, and Moorman's run kept the Bills in a game that might otherwise have turned into a blowout.

There are two things about the Pats that are not always apparent to the fans of the teams they beat:

a) The Pats make exceptionally good half-time adjustments, as they did today.

b) The Pats are rotating players in and out throughout the game, especially on the o-line and d-line. By keeping players fresh, the Pats have a decided physical edge in the fourth quarter, something I think we saw in today's game.

Mr. Cynical
10-03-2004, 10:48 PM
Defense and ST are solid.
One runback does not an ST make. Lindell sucks, our coverage is ok. The only bright spot on ST....actually on the entire team....is Moorman. He is hands down our MVP. I would switch his paycheck with Drew in a New York minute. And I'm not kidding, either.